> British stereotypes
Cinzia
post Aug 16 2016, 05:02 PM
Post #31

CC Fan for life
Group Icon

Group: Active/Top Posters
Member No.: 3648

Well, I did a bit of research and found an article which explains that in April the High Court of London in accordance with the European Referendum act and the Representation of the People Act, confirmed that British citizens living abroad for more than 15 years, lose their right to vote, because they are not considered as citizens maintaining a political bond with their country of origin and this would be true not just in Parliamentary election but also in case of referendum. The question was posed because of the approaching brexit referendum of course, so to answer my own question, no, British living outside the UK for 15 years and more could not vote to leave or remain in UK. Apparently the Court has not judged their living in Europe relevant enough to allow them this possibility, but on the contrary it has decided that brexit consequences for British citizens would be exactly the same regardless of their living in Britain or not.

I attach here the link to the article, it is in Italian I'm afraid, but anyway... for those who can read it:

http://www.diritticomparati.it/2016/05/il-...-23-giugno.html
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nara
post Aug 16 2016, 07:46 PM
Post #32

CC Fan for life
Group Icon

Group: Honorary Mille Member 1000+ Post
Member No.: 1206

This referendum is advisory. This means it's not legally binding. Organisation like #Brexitjustice have collected funds to hire lawyears to condemn the whole thing.

http://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/brexitjustice

If this will be successful it remains to be seen. IMO Mrs May will loose her face in front of the EU (and her Brexiters) if she says "right, I've joked, Brexit doesn't mean Brexit, whatever it means, because nobody knows what to do about it".

it's a HUGE political mess.

This is how a political class managed to mess up a country which was doing pretty well.

I feel for them. This may be the end of the UK as we know it.

"Sleep" by Mercurio

+Quote Post
nara
post Aug 16 2016, 08:08 PM
Post #33

CC Fan for life
Group Icon

Take any article from the Guardian and read the comments of people.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/...odel-next-steps

This may let you understand how people feel about this mess.

and this is for a bit of a laugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a6HNXtdvVQ

"Sleep" by Mercurio

+Quote Post
Cinzia
post Aug 17 2016, 01:25 PM
Post #34

CC Fan for life
Group Icon

Member No.: 3648

Maybe it doesn't mean anything but I recently noticed that on the boxes of French products by l'Oreal, English has already been ruled out, instructions are written just in French, Dutch, German, Italian, Spanish and Portuguese!
I heard that, after Brexit, it has to be taken into consideration the esclusion of English from the EU Languages and evidently the French have wasted no time! wink.gif

+Quote Post
nara
post Aug 17 2016, 01:50 PM
Post #35

CC Fan for life
Group Icon

My comment on the Guardian:

I honestly feel very disappointed at the UK. I've always considered it as a progressive country with an open mentality, which both for this reason and low taxation attracted foreign capitals and brilliant minds.

You cannot imagine my utter disappointment when I discovered its real nature and what was behind. A country split in two, where ignorance, racism, fascism and prejudice thrives among brexiters; where people voted lies despite the facts and figures were there for everybody to read; a country which blames their internal problems, even the lack of toilet paper to the EU and not their government for their conduct and the austerity measures...

a country where people don't believe in experts [i]because they're tired of them !!!;

a country where expats are called f***ng foreigners/immigrants and where EU CITIZENS are insulted and abused...

A country where a referendum results in chaos, racists abuse and parties all night long where groups of Politically Correct British shout all night long "GET THE F***ING FOREIGNER OUT", and where,if you remark they are slightly racist, they will reply it's you the racist.

and I cannot get over HOW politicians could put the fate of a country which was doing relatively well in the hands of common people, who may vote according to their guts or wallets but without any understanding of politics what the EU is and what it implies.

Can the UK be a country where they organise a referendum which puts at stake the life and future of EU and UK citizens, but where there is no PLAN in case the OUT WINS, living EU CITIZEN paying taxes and working in the limbo?.... and where people without any culture just shout they want to get out, even without a plan, repeating like fools a mantra they have read again and again in the SUN. I want OUT NOW because the EU IS A DICTATORSHIP AND BECAUSE WE WANT SOVEREIGNTY;

if you ask them what is the EU is and which are the real immigration figures they either won't know how to reply or reply what the SUN wrote...

Can the UK be a country where politicians fabricated lies to win a referendum and then either retired because they couldn't mend the mess they caused, or where CRIMINALS with ZERO diplomacy has been elected MINISTER OF FOREIGN AFFAIR?

I mean, what happened to the serious, moderate, politically correct country I knew where everything has always been under control? What happened to British politeness and British culture? What happened to sensibility and SENSE?

The country is not recognizable anymore.

Everything looks like a bad joke and I cannot understand why the thinking side is not in the street protesting for the state of things, and taking real action with #BrexitJustice instead of keeping arguing in the socials with narrow-minded people for which winning a referendum is like winning a football match...

I can't get over how a respected country like the UK could allow itself fall so LOW in a matter of months, overwhelmed by cheap populism and sheer ignorance.

My goodness what a sight.
[/i]

leedsjon
12h ago

leedsjon

I am unsure, reading your post, whether you are a UK citizen or not, but I am ashamed to say that, irrespective of your origin, I have to agree, as a UK citizen who was born and lived all of his life here, with every single word in your post. The referendum was 'won' - if that indeed is the right word to use - through cheap populism and sheer ignorance. eg for anyone who took the time to either watch the various pre-Referendum TV debates (which I found were difficult to avoid) or press accounts of the Leave/Remain cases, it was completely obvious, weeks before the referendum even took place, that key elements of the Leave campaign were simply downright lies. And yet the so called 'majority' still voted for them. Within days, literally, of the referendum result the people responsible for this campaign had quickly and mysteriously disappeared from political life - because they didn't have a clue what to do next. And yet the same 'majority' who voted for them now go round telling everyone that they definitely made the right decision and that, if we wait for long enough, history will show that we have, after all made the right decision, that we - a tiny insignificant set of North Sea islands - will be shown to be the greatest economic superpower the world has ever seen (!) . Finally, the results of an interesting online Internet research study came to light in the days after the Referendum result which seems to sum up the attitude of the great British majority perfectly: - a Google Analytics study (where measurements are taken of the most commonly made search queries of Google knowledge databases) showed that in the last few days leading up to the Referendum the most commonly made search query was the EU Debate (Leaving or Staying). In the 24 hours immediately following the Referendum result, the most common search query focused on the following question: - What is the EU? So, we vote in our thousands to leave an institution we have been a member of for over 40 years and then, the next day, start asking ourselves what it is we have just voted to leave (!!!)
Reply Share

joc 921

It still seems unbelievable, I agree. The country is not recognizable as the country I grew up in. I guess it's just the ugly truth. Profound ignorance and bigotry fueled by a dumbed down, right wing media.
I have watched the little englander mentality grow in my parents, who still live there, over the last 20 years. However, I never thought they would vote as they did, to leave.
It's definitely not my country anymore. One thing's for sure, they are going to pay dearly for their narrow mindedness.

Reply Share

noshipshirlock
It's been a real eye opener to see the wave of hatred for foreigners pour forth. The referendum seems to have given voice to millions of truly ignorant people who now feel justified in blaming foreigners for the problems in this country.

If you spend time on these boards you see countless posters, who even have names proclaiming their hatred for the EU, daily repeating the same crass lies, insisting that by leaving the largest trading area in the world we will become an economic super power, claiming that johny foreigner makes the trains full, their wages lower, their houses more expensive.

It's been a huge wake up call to see just how many people in this country who lack even the rudimentary understanding of economics, politics or reality. People who INSIST they the EU causes unemployment, that the EU makes the Tories cut budgets, the the EU is a dictatorship building an army to invade us.

And if you wait for a few hours, they will inevitably turn up here. They read these threads, looking for anybody who dares to point out that the Emperor has no clothes, and call them bigots, call them racists, insult their nationality if they are not British, call them traitors if they are British.

The only saving grace is this: when push comes to shove, no politician wants the legacy of willingly destroying the economy, and a fix will be in. The Brexiters will piss and moan, a few will vote UKIP, but ultimately most of them wont understand it. In fact, a significant number of them won't even notice, as they don't engage in politics.

Now, give it an hour or so and the usual frothing right wingers will pile in here to tell us we are wrong, we are haters, we are traitors, we love dictators.

Reply Share

John Smith
5h ago
1 2

John Smith (Brexiter)
the hatred expressed for foreigners is nothing more than the remainers trying to blacken BREXITS Name.
we won, we have nothing to gain, we have no reason to be vindictive.
the remoaners on the other hand think they have all to gain by the ''false flag'' of being mean to non UK nationals.
We British have always been magnaminous in victory... we can see from Junkers's leave now.. boo hoo mentallity where the vindictiveness comes from...
Theresa May has so far chosen the right course a steady but slow withdrawal.. if we leave immediatelt Junker will have to find the money we pay to fund him and his eurocrats lavish liyestyle... NOW! Who will pay the Germans??... the French?? the Greeks??

Reply Share

noshipshirlock to John Smith

ID024418 to John Smith

Who says May has embarked on a slow steady withdrawal? . Has she informed you personlaly? For ought we know the delaying. tactics are to stop Brexit than slowly implement it.

You must indeed be currently resident in Cloud Cuckoo land if you're not aware how many Leave voter voted out of xenophobic/racist notions. Like the one who don't like mosques/muslims and don't forget the racist attckss hvve been perpertated on UK born Muslims as well. Or the horriying murder of Jo Cox. Whatever the motive and the mental state of the assailant one can't brush aside evidence of blatant racism jsut because it is embarrassing to one's cause. Plus the fact I heard plenty from others to justify a claim of being mean to non-UK nationals and where Musims are concened to UK nationals as well.

So sory John but this attempt to exculpate yourself and you equally deluded Brexshitters is as futile as everything else you post.

The country is literally split in two. Apparently bigotry wins over culture and reason with that 51.9%. I'm just appalled such civil country goes on with this mess on the basis of a NOT LEGALLY BINDING REFERENDUM and a campaign made of lies.

The international reputation of the UK, or better Little England, is going down the drain.

Now how shall we call it? The Disunited Kingdom?

"Sleep" by Mercurio

+Quote Post
duketgg
post Aug 10 2018, 09:20 PM
Post #36

CC Fan for life
Group Icon

Member No.: 477

QUOTE(Cinzia @ Apr 10 2016, 05:32 PM) *
George Mikes must be really amusing, I think I will try to find some of his commentaries about English stereotypes, they are absolutely hilarious.
George Mikes is very amusing. I read many of his books and had a whale of a time.
I would recommend buying his "How to be a Brit": it includes his ever famous "How to be an Alien", "How to be inimitable" and "How to be Decadent."
You can buy it at amazon für just 1.41 GBP - https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Be-Brit-Bestse...ds=george+mikes

But in my opinion there's also another writer everyone should read to understand Britain and his inhabitants better: his name is Bill Bryson and the books are titled "Notes From A Small Island" and "The Road to Little Dribbling: More Notes from a Small Island" (also available at amazon).

QUOTE(nara @ Apr 10 2016, 06:46 PM) *
You can understand quite a lot of Terrence Graham's personality, especially the stiff-upper-lip attitude, however, the no sex we are English stereotype isn't quite him smile.gif
That's because he's a Scot.
Speaking of Scots, here are more stereotypes for you -

"Great talent has always a little madness mixed up with it." (Sir W. Scott, Rob Roy)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th November 2018 - 09:24 PM