> The White Duke
nara
post Feb 21 2016, 10:18 PM
Post #1

CC Fan for life
Group Icon

Group: Honorary Mille Member 1000+ Post
Member No.: 1206

if someone was wondering where the St. Pauls' uniform comes from...well. truth is The Thin White Duke, our unfortuately late David Bowie, in one of his 70s versions, went probably so far as inspiring even japanese illustrators...I'm not surprised. He inspired the whole artistic world.

Attached File  white_duke.jpg ( 99.38K ) Number of downloads: 18

This was an illustration made by a fan of his 70s costumes and you can spot the St.Paul's uniform...which is basically one of the Thin White Duke disguises...

Attached File  white_duke_costumes.jpg ( 141.88K ) Number of downloads: 17

Not sure how much Bowie was important in your own culture. In Great Britain and Europe, and probably in the States too he's considered like the American Elvis, and the most incredible, innovative, exponential modern artist who inspired everyone alive in the modern music and artistic landscape.

He lived in New York until his recent death last January who shocked the world. He's English. And he's our bevoled Thin White Duke. He loved books. he was dubbed, The Man who Loved Books, too. And was a 360 artist, actor, musician, painter.

Terence Granchester must have inherited something from him. smile.gif i see quite a lot of similarities.

R.i.p. David Jones. 8-1-1947 - 10-1-2016
The man who fell to Earth is back to his planet now.

"Sleep" by Mercurio

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
candyterry
post Feb 22 2016, 06:32 PM
Post #2

CT Admin, TGG's Publicist & Personal Assistant
Group Icon

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

QUOTE(nara @ Feb 21 2016, 10:18 PM) *
if someone was wondering where the St. Pauls' uniform comes from...well. truth is The Thin White Duke, our unfortuately late David Bowie, in one of his 70s versions, went probably so far as inspiring even japanese illustrators...I'm not surprised. He inspired the whole artistic world.

This was an illustration made by a fan of his 70s costumes and you can spot the St.Paul's uniform...which is basically one of the Thin White Duke disguises...

Attached File  white_duke_costumes.jpg ( 141.88K ) Number of downloads: 17

Not sure how much Bowie was important in your own culture. In Great Britain and Europe, and probably in the States too he's considered like the American Elvis, and the most incredible, innovative, exponential modern artist who inspired everyone alive in the modern music and artistic landscape.

He lived in New York until his recent death last January who shocked the world. He's English. And he's our bevoled Thin White Duke. He loved books. he was dubbed, The Man who Loved Books, too. And was a 360 artist, actor, musician, painter.

Terence Granchester must have inherited something from him. smile.gif i see quite a lot of similarities.

R.i.p. David Jones. 8-1-1947 - 10-1-2016
The man who fell to Earth is back to his planet now.

Wow! I wouldn't be surprised either if Igarashi took inspiration from the clothes worn at this time period. Remarkable coincidence and a great find!

I'm not a Bowie fan, but I appreciate his contribution as an artist. smile.gif

Thanks for sharing, Nara! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
candyterry
post Feb 22 2016, 06:50 PM
Post #3

Group Icon

QUOTE(nara @ Feb 21 2016, 10:18 PM) *

This photo of Bowie wearing the St. Paul's uniform and him smoking is SO VERY TERRY-ISH!

+Quote Post
nara
post Feb 23 2016, 12:19 AM
Post #4

CC Fan for life
Group Icon

That's what I thought. In that Picture Bowie is very Terryish, or it's more likely that Terry is very Bowie-ish or better White-Dukish as Bowie is the king of transformism.
According to internet Thin White Duke was David Bowie's 1975/1976 persona and character, primarily identified with his album Station to Station (released that year).

I believe Igashi drew the characters in those years. In my opinion it's too much a coincidence to be a coincidence, as the White Duke was already a totally original "scandalous" international phenomena for those times adn could easily be emulated. Apart from the white shoes, the rest of the costume is pretty identical...

"Sleep" by Mercurio

+Quote Post
candyterry
post Feb 23 2016, 11:39 AM
Post #5

Group Icon

QUOTE(nara @ Feb 23 2016, 12:19 AM) *
That's what I thought. In that Picture Bowie is very Terryish, or it's more likely that Terry is very Bowie-ish or better White-Dukish as Bowie is the king of transformism.
According to internet Thin White Duke was David Bowie's 1975/1976 persona and character, primarily identified with his album Station to Station (released that year).

I believe Igashi drew the characters in those years. In my opinion it's too much a coincidence to be a coincidence, as the White Duke was already a totally original "scandalous" international phenomena for those times adn could easily be emulated. Apart from the white shoes, the rest of the costume is pretty identical...

This would have been a great question to ask Igarashi for her interview, if David Bowie's persona/costume as the White Duke influenced her drawings of Terry! Was David Bowie popular in Japan in the 1970s?

+Quote Post
nara
post Feb 23 2016, 08:16 PM
Post #6

CC Fan for life
Group Icon

QUOTE(candyterry @ Feb 23 2016, 11:39 AM) *
QUOTE(nara @ Feb 23 2016, 12:19 AM) *

This would have been a great question to ask Igarashi for her interview, if David Bowie's persona/costume as the White Duke influenced her drawings of Terry! Was David Bowie popular in Japan in the 1970s?

I believe Bowie and in particular The Thin White Duke persona arrived a bit everywhere; and I think he left quite a mark, there was also a movie, The man who fell to the earth .. I suppose the authors had an insight of occidental culture as they drew the manga in London/US and maybe the illustrator Igarashi, (not Igashi) saw the attire and took inspiration from it to draw the uniforms. When was exactly the manga illustrated? 1975 as I know. And Bowie created the Thin White Duke in 1975, and in 1976 there was even a movie..so yes, if it's a coincidence, it's a huge one.

This video is from the V&A exibition..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ag7RsZjv5Q

(The man who fell to earth movie)

Stage persona of the Thin White Duke 1975/76

Victoria &Albert Bowie Exibition

there was surely a relationship between Bowie and japan even in the 70s, I mean The Tokyo Pop bodysuit was made for Bowie by Kansai Yamamoto. so yes, he was known there.

"Sleep" by Mercurio

+Quote Post
candyterry
post Mar 1 2016, 05:48 PM
Post #7

Group Icon

QUOTE(nara @ Feb 23 2016, 08:16 PM) *

Interestingly, the lady in the video described this suit as the "1940s style European look".

In a 1982 interview from Igarashi, she claimed that she reviewed "thousands of materials" of research from America and England for her drawings, mainly for interior designs and landscapes. But it's highly possible that she drew from the fashions at that time. nodyes.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th January 2019 - 01:02 AM