Post #2

CC Fan for life
Group Icon

Group: Active/Top Posters
Member No.: 3648

QUOTE(nara @ Apr 9 2016, 08:06 PM) *
I wrote this. Hope you'll like it.

http://www.thelondonsalad.com/british-stereotypes/

Hi Sara, I enjoyed this reading very much! George Mikes must be really amusing, I think I will try to find some of his commentaries about English stereotypes, they are absolutely hilarious. Speaking of politeness and British good manners, I have a comic book about "How to get around in English and how you can tell someone is English" which is about these stereotypes, in it there is this funny cartoon where a man about to drown shouts HELP to a passerby walking his dog along the river, but the man keeps going, totally ignoring the guy. The guy attitude is marked as wrong, next to this there is another cartoon where the same guy in the river says to the passerby "Excuse me sir. I'm terribly sorry to bother you, but I wonder if you would mind helping me a moment, as long as it's no trouble, of course! The passerby stops and throws him a lifebelt, this behaviour is marked as right. Well, maybe it is a bit exasperated, but you know.. where there's smoke there's fire, so.... Anyway your piece is very interesting and enjoyable! Did you decide to open a blog about London and England, or are you simply writing an article?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cinzia
post Apr 10 2016, 04:55 PM
Post #3

CC Fan for life
Group Icon

Here it is!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  24_03_201318_48_11_zpsa9e1febb.jpg ( 130.85K ) Number of downloads: 9

+Quote Post
nara
post Apr 10 2016, 05:46 PM
Post #4

CC Fan for life
Group Icon

Group: Honorary Mille Member 1000+ Post
Member No.: 1206

QUOTE(Cinzia @ Apr 10 2016, 05:32 PM) *

Hi Sara, I enjoyed this reading very much! George Mikes must be really amusing, I think I will try to find some of his commentaries about English stereotypes, they are absolutely hilarious. Speaking of politeness and British good manners, I have a comic book about "How to get around in English and how you can tell someone is English" which is about these stereotypes, in it there is this funny cartoon where a man about to drown shouts HELP to a passerby walking his dog along the river, but the man keeps going, totally ignoring the guy. The guy attitude is marked as wrong, next to this there is another cartoon where the same guy in the river says to the passerby "Excuse me sir. I'm terribly sorry to bother you, but I wonder if you would mind helping me a moment, as long as it's no trouble, of course! The passerby stops and throws him a lifebelt, this behaviour is marked as right. Well, maybe it is a bit exasperated, but you know.. where there's smoke there's fire, so.... Anyway your piece is very interesting and enjoyable! Did you decide to open a blog about London and England, or are you simply writing an article?

yeah, i had seen it smile.gif That's my blog, yeah, I just like writing. However, I need a proofreader, so an English friend of mine supervises the contents to make sure everything is in check smile.gif

You can understand quite a lot of Terrence Graham's personality, especially the stiff-upper-lip attitude, however, the no sex we are English stereotype isn't quite him smile.gif

"Sleep" by Mercurio

+Quote Post
Cinzia
post Apr 10 2016, 07:07 PM
Post #5

CC Fan for life
Group Icon

QUOTE(nara @ Apr 10 2016, 06:46 PM) *
QUOTE(Cinzia @ Apr 10 2016, 05:32 PM) *

yeah, i had seen it smile.gif That's my blog, yeah, I just like writing. However, I need a proofreader, so an English friend of mine supervises the contents to make sure everything is in check smile.gif

You can understand quite a lot of Terrence Graham's personality, especially the stiff-upper-lip attitude, however, the no sex we are English stereotype isn't quite him smile.gif

Very well written!
As far as sex is concerned, I don't know you but I like the English kind of man, I mean a little less warm a little more reserved, this to me is infinitely more attractive and hotter, if you know what I mean, than the typical latin kind of guy. So I am totally for the Terry type! naughty.gif

+Quote Post
nara
post Apr 10 2016, 08:01 PM
Post #6

CC Fan for life
Group Icon

Mmmm...in reality, British men are quite far from Terry...they more look like THIS

Attached File  Mike_Myers_Austin_Powers_1_.jpg ( 32.14K ) Number of downloads: 2

"Sleep" by Mercurio

+Quote Post
Cinzia
post Apr 10 2016, 08:18 PM
Post #7

CC Fan for life
Group Icon

QUOTE(nara @ Apr 10 2016, 09:01 PM) *
Mmmm...in reality, British men are quite far from Terry...they more look like THIS

Attached File  Mike_Myers_Austin_Powers_1_.jpg ( 32.14K ) Number of downloads: 2

Oh my God! I hope not! yikes.gif

+Quote Post
Patty72
post Apr 10 2016, 11:19 PM
Post #8

CC Fan for life
Group Icon

Member No.: 2350

I think British are far more open about sex than Spaniards. Far, far more!!! People are more promiscuous, more unashamed to do it in public places and more fond of bizarre sexual tastes. And itīs not just people of the new generation, or uneducated people.

I have seen, heard, and been told things nobody in my country would believe. They are very stiff upper lip, but when it come to sex it seems that the just go for it. Mind you, first they get very drunk!!

This is the country of western Europe with the highest rate of teenage pregnancy. And and not surprised. I bet it's one of the places with highest rates of infidelities! The things I've seen!!
You only have to walk in a main street of any UK city to see Ann Summer shop. This is a sex shop.
My son had some sex education in the last year of primary school, he was 10. And I think is a good idea.

I have heard sex conversation in work I would never had even with my closest friend back home. But then, they get upset by women breastfeeding in public or women doing top less, that is not allowed in the beaches.

It is a very complex society.

+Quote Post
Aniko
post Apr 11 2016, 01:38 AM
Post #9

CC Fan for life
Group Icon

Member No.: 3557

QUOTE(Patty72 @ Apr 10 2016, 06:19 PM) *
I think British are far more open about sex than Spaniards. Far, far more!!! People are more promiscuous, more unashamed to do it in public places and more fond of bizarre sexual tastes. And itīs not just people of the new generation, or uneducated people.

I have seen, heard, and been told things nobody in my country would believe. They are very stiff upper lip, but when it come to sex it seems that the just go for it. Mind you, first they get very drunk!!

This is the country of western Europe with the highest rate of teenage pregnancy. And and not surprised. I bet it's one of the places with highest rates of infidelities! The things I've seen!!
You only have to walk in a main street of any UK city to see Ann Summer shop. This is a sex shop.
My son had some sex education in the last year of primary school, he was 10. And I think is a good idea.

I have heard sex conversation in work I would never had even with my closest friend back home. But then, they get upset by women breastfeeding in public or women doing top less, that is not allowed in the beaches.

It is a very complex society.

Sounds like North America. In North America many people get offended at women breastfeeding or being topless but can be real perverts behind close doors. Well I had a few Brit friends and no, they weren't more prude than others quite the contrary, it's just that they don't express it the same way. Like I don't imagine Terry in a G-string and feathers dancing like a mad man in Rio Carnaval. About drunk Brits, I saw something funny not so long ago..

http://sobadsogood.com/2016/03/13/welcome-...british-public/

+Quote Post
Aniko
post Apr 11 2016, 01:48 AM
Post #10

CC Fan for life
Group Icon

Member No.: 3557

About British insults, decades ago some were saying "See you next Tuesday" as insult. Read as C U Next Tuesday)

Many things looks like in Canada.
British men do not wolf-whistle women in the streets You don't do it in Canada either, it's called sexual harassment and most of women hate it. Italians were doing this a lot in some neighborhoods when I was younger and ppl insulted them.

By the way, Celts were not the only ones there, Romans invaded the place a while back, then the Angle and the Saxons. Apparently, Celts were a melting pot too.

+Quote Post
nara
post Apr 11 2016, 07:29 AM
Post #11

CC Fan for life
Group Icon

Wow, thanks for the insights! I guess wolf-whistlling and the likes may be typical of southern cultures. What in the British and generally the northern ones may be considered harassment, in more Southern countries is normal. In northern Italy wolf-whistling is not common at all. You won't see it in Venice, Go to Naples or Rome or further south and see what happens. wink.gif it's just a question of culture.

Thanks Nuria, you're right. My friend is British and he wasn't quite capable of giving me such an open opinion about sex. smile.gif

It is true, however, that the British, generally, have no idea of how to courtship and are not straighforward with that either. that happened to me. As for being open to sex. I believe it's more with the new generations. Mikes died 30 years ago, so a lot has changed, since. smile.gif

"Sleep" by Mercurio

+Quote Post
Patty72
post Apr 11 2016, 11:41 AM
Post #12

CC Fan for life
Group Icon

Member No.: 2350

QUOTE(nara @ Apr 11 2016, 07:29 AM) *
As for being open to sex. I believe it's more with the new gen

My experience is with people my age (in their 40s). Very open.

As one woman I used to work with told me once "when I used to go out I always carried two things in my handbag: my toothbrush and clean set of knickers, as you never know where you are going to wake up". Christmas parties... suddenly all forget they are married!!

On top of that earlier this year a Professor I used to work with was found dead in the woods due to some "misadventure" involving leather masks and deprivation of oxygen. So sad.

+Quote Post
nara
post Apr 11 2016, 12:18 PM
Post #13

CC Fan for life
Group Icon

On top of that earlier this year a Professor I used to work with was found dead in the woods due to some "misadventure" involving leather masks and deprivation of oxygen. So sad.

That they were heavy drinkers I was aware of...as far as the sex habits, they may be very good to hide this, at least with the people I was involved with wink.gif

may I ask your permission to use your observations to amend my post? smile.gif

If so, just please let me know which parts I'm allowed to add smile.gif

Thank you smile.gif

"Sleep" by Mercurio

+Quote Post
Cinzia
post Apr 11 2016, 12:27 PM
Post #14

CC Fan for life
Group Icon

Wow, is it England or Sodoma and Gomorra?

+Quote Post
nara
post Apr 11 2016, 12:41 PM
Post #15

CC Fan for life
Group Icon

QUOTE(Cinzia @ Apr 11 2016, 01:27 PM) *
Wow, is it England or Sodoma and Gomorra?

teeheehee.gif

Well, apparently. My friends never mentioned that to me smile.gif

Please Nuria, details...we are all ears grouphug.gif

"Sleep" by Mercurio

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th January 2019 - 02:19 AM