by Mallory Quinn
"This week..."It was a snowy day in New York. There was military convention at the Carlton Hotel. There was a man named Frank B. Parker, he was a lieutenant. He always liked to have fun. But his boss had specifically told him to stay in the hotel and not go out into town. But Frank B. Pparker wasn’t one to follow that kind of rules… he liked having fun, so he went to see the doctor of their group, doctor Olga Vukavitch. She was a redhead, she had the Russian accent and Frank spent most of his free time hitting on her. But she wouldn’t budge.
Candy was working at Lenox Hill hospital. She had transferred from St. Joan’s
hospital, because she was moving to New York to be with Terry. But everything
went wrong. He had been saved by Susanna Marlowe who had lost her leg. She
hated Susanna for trying to keep Terry and her apart by lying to her in
Chicago, but nobody deserves to lost a part of their body…She left Terry so he
could take care of the woman who saved his life and who was madly in love with
him too… Candy didn’t even got the chance to tell him that she had transferred
from St. Joan’s to Lenox Hill. She wanted to go back to Chicago, but she didn’t
want to look unprofessional. She was going to stay in New York for at least 6
months or a year and transfer back or transfer elsewhere altogether. New York
was a big city, she could live there without crossing path with Terry or
Susanna. She thought about what she did the night before. Going to a bar and
drinking… and Frank B. Parker, who took her from the bar so no one would take
advantage of her… How nice of him! He didn’t know her from Adam! And she kissed
him calling him Terry…
“Oh my God! I'm lucky it was Frank a decent guy… what was I thinking? Drinking? And I still feel nauseous…” She said to herself
She went back to work to keep her mind busy. At least when she was working, she wasn’t thinking about what happened to her. She had found a hotel, after taking her stuff from Terry’s apartment and she took her stuff. She went to the Andrew apartment on Madison and 80th Street. Lenox Hill wasn’t that far, so she walked to work most of the time, in the snow. It had only been 3 days…She had given her blood, for some routine test, since she was a new staff member. She was going to get the results later that day.
Terrence Grandchester was in his apartment getting ready to go to the theatre. He had to go to Roosevelt Hospital to see Susanna… He was feeling lousy, guilt ridden. He wished she was there with him, they should’ve found a solution together…But she went back to Chicago… He felt like his heart had been ripped apart and left with Candy…Life had suddenly no meaning at all for him…He wanted to drink, but that was not the solution. Because at the end of the day, he was still miserable… He got to the hospital. Susanna was there with her mother.
- Terry, she said smiling, I’m so happy to see you!
- Susanna, how was your night?
- Fine, she said smiling
Mrs. Marlowe was looking at Terry. He wasn’t even pretending to be nice to her daughter.
- You could try and smile, you know? She told Terry, she did save your life
- Why? Said Terry, why should I smile when I don’t feel like it?
- Mom, said Susanna, don’t start, leave him alone!
Mrs. Marlowe shook her head. Her daughter was happy, Terry was miserable…
The world continued turning, despite people’s misery. Some people blamed the
Americans for all the sins of the world. Some people’s idea of punishing the
all powerful Americans was to bomb them… So some groups, to make a statement
decided it was time to get the attention of the world.
The day was continuing when all of a sudden a series of explosions were heard. The Met Life building, formerly known as the Pan Am Building was hit with a series of explosions. The Empire State Building, on of the first sky scrappers of Manhattan was also hit. The statue of Liberty, a present France gave to America, was also hit… It was chaos everywhere. Hospitals were packed with wounded, but they were also a few explosions at the hospitals to cripple them too.
Candy was in the children’s ward when the explosion started. It was like the whole city was just one big bomb… She took cover with the children, most of them were screaming and crying like everybody else in the city. There was rubbles everywhere, glass everywhere…
Terry was at Roosevelt hospital with Susanna when there was an explosion in the room.. he didn’t have time to react, everything was collapsing around him. He tried to get to Susanna, but he couldn’t, he was hit with part of the ceiling collapsing on him…
Frank and his colleague were still at their hotel and they heard everything that was happening around them, powerless, they would only wait and until everything was over to go and help. The police, ambulances, the firefighters were all over the place. The number of victims kept climbing.
Frank went to see his boss Talmage.
- Sir, any word on what we should do? Asked Frank, backstep?
- We’re still investigating Frank, we have to have the more facts possible so you can go back and warn us…
- All right sir…
- The French President was visiting an hospital here in New York and he died, said Talmage…
- So we have the green light for backstep
- Not until we get all the fact to stop this terrorist attack…
The bombing was claimed by a group of terrorist, who explained how easy it was for them to plan everything in a few days… It didn’t take long for the secret service and the special force to figure out what had happened. Frank and his team, when back to Never Never Land, for operation backstep….
Terry was trapped in the rubbles and he looked around, he saw Susanna crushed
by the ceiling on her bed…
- Susanna? Said Terry weakly, can you hear me? Susanna!!!!
There was no answer. She was gone. Terry felt even worst. She was in the hospital because she had saved his life… and now she was gone, just like that! Some firefighters came to get Terry out.
- My friend is on her bed, said Terry, how is she?
- I’m so sorry sir, said the firefighter, there’s nothing we could’ve done…
- Oh my God! No! Susanna!!!! Cried Terry
- It’s going to be ok, sir…you have to calm down…
- What about her mother?
- She’s non responsive, said the firefighter
- Oh my God! Said Terry upset!
He didn’t like his situation, but he would’ve never wished that kind of end for Susanna and her mother…
- The mother has a weak pulse…
- Thank God! Said Terry half relieved
Susanna was dead. Susanna, who had saved his life, was no more…
Candy was hurt and the some of the children were also hurt. Everything was
crazy. Some people were wounded, some were dead… it was desolation all over…
Candy felt a sharp pain in her belly, then she was bleeding… some of her
colleague took her to take care of her. The doctor took a look at her…
- Doctor, said Candy, what wrong with me…?
- I’m so sorry, you just miscarried…, said the doctor
- Miscarried? I was pregnant? Said Candy with tears in her eyes, oh my God!!! NO! My baby!
Candy was crying. Like life wasn’t cruel enough to her! She lost a baby she didn’t even know existed…
“I drank last night! Oh… the nausea in the morning… oh my God! How could I have been so stupid and careless???!!” she said to herself.
- Why? Said Candy out loud, why did all this had to happen??? Why all the bad luck??? Those terrorists they attack us the innocents? Now I lost my innocent little angel!!!
Everybody was sad crappy, crying, cursing, in a very bad mood…
In Chicago, Albert had heard about the bombing and he decided to go to New York
to see Candy. Annie, Patty, Archie and Alistair tagged along. They wanted to
see for themselves that Candy was alive. In fact they hadn’t heard from her at
all and all the cell phones were dead in New York, so were the phone lines…
Albert knew were Candy worked; he had helped her with her transfer…. They finally found her and they were ecstatic. Candy hugged them one by one, she couldn’t stop crying…
- It’s so good to see you all she said crying…
- I’m taking you to Chicago, said Albert; you can’t stay here alone…
- Where is Terry?? Asked Annie
- Yeah, said Patty, he should’ve been with you
- We … broke up, said Candy sadly
- What??? Said Archie, the bastard! How could he do that to you???
- He had no choice, said Candy, but we’ll talk about that later, I can’t leave until I know he’s fine…
- I’ll have people looking for him, where does he live? Said Albert
- Well I think he might be at Roosevelt Hospital..., said Candy
- Roosevelt Hospital? Said Annie, why?
Albert got out and he went to contact his people with his satellite phone. An hour later, they got the news that Terry was fine.
- What about Susanna? Said Candy
- Susanna? Said Patty
- They said he was visiting a young woman who was crushed by the ceiling during the bombing….
- Oh my God! Said Candy horrified, Susana is dead? No!!! Poor Terry!
- Poor Terry? He was with Susanna? Said Archie, what the hell is going on Candy?!!
Candy finally told them what had happened with Terry and Susanna, why they had to break up.
- Oh my God, Candy! Said Annie hugging her
- Why didn’t you come back? Asked Archie
- Because I’ve already transferred here, I didn’t want to abandon my work because of personal reasons. People break up every day…
- Candy…, said Annie in tears
- I’m not going to leave Albert, I’m staying here, Susanna is dead, Terry is going to need my support…
- Candy are you sure? Asked Patty
- Yes…, said Candy with tears in her eyes…
Candy freed the hospital bed for more serious patients. She went to Roosevelt Hospital with her friends to see Terry. She found him with a cast on his right leg and a sling on his left arm. He was surprised to see her.
- Candy? What are you doing here? You came to New York to see me?
- I never left, she said with tears in her eyes…
- I had asked for a transfer to Lenox Hill…it was supposed to be a surprised after the premiere…
Terry looked at her with so much love.
- You stayed anyway? Why? He asked
- Well I just didn’t want to look unprofessional and run away, I wanted to wait six month and transfer back, or not…
- You were going to stay in New York and avoid me? I’m so sorry Candy for everything
- I’m sorry for Susanna, I heard she didn’t make it, said Candy
Albert took the others outside to let them talk.
- How are you? Asked Terry, were you hurt in the explosions? Was your hospital hit?
- Yes, said Candy… I…
- You what?
- I miscarried, said Candy crying…
Terry looked at her surprised.
- You were pregnant?
- I didn’t know about it, now I lost our baby…, she said crying, I didn’t know and now it’s gone
Terry took his free arm and pulled her on him. He was crying too.
- Why all the bad luck Terry? Why couldn’t we be happy like everybody?
- It’s going to be ok, Freckles. We’ll start over…
- Our baby is dead, said Candy crying
Candy’s friends came in to support them. A similar scene was happening more or less in every hospital rooms of New York… Those terrorist wanted to make a point, and in the process, they ruined the lives of so many people…