A Providential Accident
by Mallory Quinn
“I will come if you call”
What if the spotlight had really fallen on Terry?
Terrence Grandchester was realizing his dream. He had gotten the role of Romeo in “Romeo and Juliet” by William Shakespeare. He had just sent the invitation for candy with a one way ticket. He will be able to spend some time with her. He was wondering why he didn’t go to see her earlier… he could’ve done it, but he had said to himself, making her come to see him for the premiere of Romeo and Juliet and the sure success he was going to get, he’ll be able to take good care of her. Candy, that’s all he had in his mind, he was only thinking about her. But there was a dark cloud on his happiness… Susanna Marlowe… She had declared her flame to him and he was feeling uneasy in her presence… and he has also learned that she had sent Candy away when she came to look for him at the hotel in Chicago, when they went there on tour… What right did she have to do something like that? He should’ve gotten angry with her, but he was honest with her and she had run away saying she wouldn’t let anybody else have him… But who did she think she was? He loved Candy and he was going to be with Candy and Susanna Marlowe had nothing to do with his destiny… To each their destiny is his destiny was to be with Susanna Marlowe, he wouldn’t have been in love with her and not with Candy…
It was with great joy that he went to the rehearsal that day. He went to change and arrived on stage. There were technicians working on spotlights… Terry met Susanna’s eyes and he saw all the love she had for him. He looked away.
The rehearsal started and the ball scene when Romeo was looking at Juliet from afar… Terry was looking at Susanna but he was seeing Candy, his Juliet from the May festival. He started reciting the role, he was happy, he was passionate, imagining Candy instead of Susanna, had just made him ten times more talented. Candy was his muse, she was his inspiration, she was the reason he living, without her, life would be nothing to him… He had left college so she could stay in school, wishing her good luck and praying for her happiness. But after seeing her again in Chicago, she was running in the field and she was so beautiful in white, it was the most beautiful image he had ever seen… He understood that he had been living for her, so that she’s proud of him, so that he could take care of her, so they can spend the rest of their lives together…
He was so absorbed, that he didn’t pay attention when a noise was heard, a rope got loose and a big spotlight fell on stage when Terry was standing… Susanna saw it too late what was going to happen and she wasn’t fast enough… and she screamed:
- TERRY!!!! WATCH OUT!!!!
But it was too late… Terry was on the floor, bleeding; he was hurt at the head and he was bleeding abundantly.
- Quick! We have to take him to the hospital! Call an ambulance! Yelled Susanna
She ran to Terry and took his head and started caressing it.
- Everything is going to be fine, my love, you’re going to be all right, oh Terry, please, don’t leave me, I’m here, my darling… Where’s that ambulance!????
At the same moment, Candy, who was having tea with Karen Kleis in Florida, felt bad, all of a sudden…
“Candy!” She heard
“Terry!” she said to herself, what’s going on?”
She felt that something was wrong with the man she loved… On top of the insinuations Karen said on Terry and Susanna, she hated it.
- Karen, I don’t feel very, said Candy, I’m going to go to my room, is that’s ok with you…
- Of course! But you’ll see that I’m right! Terrence and Susanna are going to end up together
Candy pretended like she didn’t hear and she went to her room. She went to sit on her bed.
- Oh Terry, what’s going on and why am I feeling so bad? Just like that night I woke up calling your name, like I had heard your voice calling me… just like earlier… I have to go to New York to see you…
She kneeled to pray God.
- Please Lord; please protect Terry in everything he’s going at this moment. Forgive his sins, Lord Jesus and deliver him from evil…
She prayed for Terry for a long time, crying. She had a sleepless night thinking about Terry, praying and crying. At dawn, she got out of the villa and she went walking by the beach, looking at the sun rise.
“How beautiful! The sun rises on the good and the evil without discrimination… a new day arises that God had done, a new day; I have to go see Terry… I have a bad feeling, I feel like he’s in trouble.”
She looked at the sun change colours, rising in the sky illuminating the world like a big lamp.
“It’s a beautiful here, not like in Chicago or New York… I hope you’re fine, I have to talk to Professor Kleis… to tell him that I have to go back to Chicago today…”
Candy went back to the villa and she met Professor Kleis who was going to have breakfast.
- Good morning Candy
- Good morning, Professor Kleis, how are you this morning?
- I’m fine, thank you what about yourself?
- I’m fine. I would like, if it’s possible leave for Chicago today…
- You don’t want to stay longer and keep Karen company?
- No, unfortunately, I have other engagements. I’m leaving and I have to go see a very dear friend…
- Very well, I’m not going to hold you any longer…
- I’m going to take the first train for Chicago…
- So, hurry up and eat so you can leave, otherwise you’re going to miss your train…
Candy who wanted to leave right away to avoid Karen and her conversation about Susanna, she hate quickly to get to the train station as fast as possible.
Fortunately for her Karen was sleeping in and didn’t get out of her room until noon…
Candy was ready to go.
- Good bye Professor Kleis
- Good bye Candy, give this to Professor Leonard for me.
- All right. Good bye…
- Have a safe trip!
- Thank you!
Professor Kleis had ordered his driver to take Candy to the train station. Candy was eager to get to Chicago, so she could go to New York as soon as possible… Her dream kept haunting her…
Meanwhile in New York, at St. Jacob hospital, Terry was in a critical condition. He had spent the night, which was a very good sign. Susanna had spent the night by his side and the doctor were talking to Susanna and consulting her for the best treatment to give Terry.
- Miss Marlowe, according to the x-ray there’s no fracture of the skull, but the blow he got on his head was very severe and he still hasn’t regained consciousness… and if he remains unconscious longer….
- He’s going to be all right! Don’t be pessimistic! He’s going to be all right, you hear me?
- Yes, miss Marlowe
The doctor left, he didn’t want to hear the tantrum of this crazed woman who had been bullying them since she had arrived in the hospital. Didn’t Terrence Grandchester have a direct family member, than this fiancée who was pushing them around?
Robert Hathaway has left a message for Eleonor Baker to tell her that her son had had an accident. She had just come back from a long day of rehearsal, and she didn’t read the messages that night, feeling very tired, she ate a light meal and she went directly to bed.
She spent an agitated night full of diverse nightmares … She woke up with a sudden need to see her son…
“Terry! Oh my God! I have to see my son…! She said jumping out of bed; I have a very bad feeling after those horrible nightmares
She went to take a shower, she got dressed and she went to see Terry. When she arrived downstairs she saw the mail on a little table and all the messages she had received the night before. She saw Robert Hathaway’s message who was asking her to go to St. Jacob’s Hospital as fast as possible… Colours were drained from her face!
“Terry!” Said holding putting her hand on her heart.
She didn’t even thought about having breakfast, she put her beautiful white coat and she ordered her driver to take her to St. Jacob’s Hospital right away…
During her trip to Chicago, Candy was on hot coals. When she closed her eyes…
When she arrived in Chicago, she was still not feeling better… The feeling that Terry needed her was still there. She went directly to the hospital to see Professor Leonard to give him the papers Professor Kleis had given her for him.
- You did a good job, Miss Andrew; you’re now officially on vacations…
- Thank you very much Professor Leonard. Good bye.
- Good bye Miss Andrew, enjoy your vacations
Candy stood up and left Professor Leonard’s office. She went to her apartment and she found Albert. He turned around to see who had just come in.
- Hello Mr. Albert, said Candy
- Candy! You’re back… you have a sad face
- I have a bad feeling about Terry…
- Well look at the table, there’s a surprise for you.
Candy approached the table, she found the mail and she saw a letter from Terry. She took it with shaking h and, her heart was jumping of joy.
- I’m going to go read it in my room, thank you Mr. Albert!
Candy went in her bedroom and she opened Terry’s letter, there was also an invitation for the premiere of “Romeo and Juliet” in Broadway, a one way train ticket for New York.
Maybe it’s a lot to ask, but if Albert is feeling better, would you be able to leave him alone for a little while? I really would like to see little Juliet from St. Paul Royal college…
Candy should’ve been happy, but something was wrong, she was sure of it. She had a bad feeling and she had to see Terry right away. She decided to go to New York right away. She came out of the room and she announced it to Albert.
- Mr. Albert, I’m leaving for New York…
- What? Now?
- Yes… Terry sent me a one way ticket…so I’m going to go right away, my suite case is packed and…
- Candy, what’s going on? Did Terry have bad news?
- No, but I have a bad feeling… that something is going on…
- You’re not still worried about his colleague Susanna Marlowe are you?
When she heard the name of the girl she considered as her rival at one point, Candy’s heart sank and she was more eager to see Terry…
- No, said Candy, but I’ll feel better when I get to New York and make sure Terry is alright.
- Candy? What if I come with you?
- What? But…
- You’re troubled; I can’t let you go to New York alone in that state. I’m going to look after you…
Candy looked at him and she thought about it for a minute. Having Albert’s support during the trip would be a good thing.
- All right Mr. Albert, I’ll need your support if need be… Thank you.
- You’re welcome. I’m going to go pack my stuff…
- I’m going to go say goodbye to my friends
- All right…
Candy put her coat on and she left the apartment to go see her friends. She was in town when she saw her gang in Alistair’s car.
- Candy! Said Annie
- Hi gang! Said Candy smiling
- Where are you going like that? Asked Archie
- In fact, I was looking for you…
- Well, here we are! Said Alistair smiling
- Why were you looking for us Candy? Asked Patricia
- Because I’m going to New York later on and I wanted to say good bye…
- Oh, said Annie, what about Mr. Albert?
- He’s coming with me…
- Ah, that’s good, the change is going to be good for the both of you, said Archie
- Yes, indeed, said Candy
- Good luck Candy, said Annie
- Come back to us fast, said Archie
- No, said Alistair, take advantage of your time with Terry
- Yes, said Patricia, have fun…
- Thank you, said Candy smiling
And she hugged them one by one and she went back to her place to get Albert to go to the train station.
The gang met Neil, Eliza and their mother.
- Hello cousins, said Eliza, where is that little orphan going like that?
- That’s none of your business, said Archie
- Well, next time you see her, tell her that we’re going to New York to see Terrence at Broadway for the premiere of “Romeo as Juliet”!
- Candy doesn’t care, said Alistair
- Yes, she does! Said Eliza, Terrence is going to be mine after the show! You’ll see!
She put her nose up and she left with her mother and her brother.
Alistair looked at her go. He was thinking about Candy, he has read the sadness in her eyes. He even had plans in his mind, he wanted to go to war, but something in Candy’s eyes had made him sad and he wanted to try to help her. Archibald looked at his brother.
- You’re thinking about something…what is it?
- Did you notice that Candy was sad?
- Yes, so what? Asked Archie
- Candy is going to see Terry, she should’ve been jumping of joy but she was sad as hell…
- That’s true, said Patricia, Candy should’ve singing of joy, because she’s finally going to see Terry… but she was king of gloomy…
- That’s true, said Archie, what do you want to do?
- I have an idea, said Alistair, what if we all go to New York for the premiere?
- We don’t have tickets…
- With our name, we’ll manage to get tickets without a problem, said Alistair
- Oh yes! Said Annie, let’s go see Terry on stage for the premiere of his big break; he’s our friend, isn’t he? And we could be with Candy too!
- Yes, that would be good! Said Patricia
- All right , said Archie, we’re going to make the arrangements for the trip
- I’m going to inform my parents, said Annie
- And we’re going to inform the great aunt! She’s not going to be happy! Said Alistair
So Candy’s friends were also going to New York…
Candy and Albert were at the train station waiting for the train for New York. Candy had sent a telegram to Terry to let him know she was on her way.
Eleonor Baker went to send a telegram to Terry’s father to tell him that his son had had a terrible accident. Then she went to the hospital to find Susanna Marlowe had taken charge of everything, like Terry was alone in the world, without any family. In fact, aside from Robert Hathaway, nobody knew that Terry was her son… She didn’t like Susanna much, since the first time she saw her. Eleonor walked to the doctor to ask him news about Terry. Susanna was not happy.
- Who are you? She asked
- I’m Eleonor Baker…
- Oh… you want news of your little protégé? Said Susanna dryly
- Terry is my son, Miss Marlowe!
- Yes! And how dare you take every decision concerning him?
- Because I’m his fiancée, said Susanna, Terrence and I are going to get married, ma’am
- Really? He hasn’t told me anything about that…
- He was probably waiting for the night of the premiere to tell you, said Susanna who has answers to every questions
Eleonor looked at Susanna and she turned to the doctor.
- Doctor, can we talk in your office?
- Of course Miss Baker, said the doctor, follow me
Eleonor walked away with the doctor. Susanna was upset; Eleonor Baker didn’t congratulate her on her “engagement” with Terry. She made a vow that nobody was going to come between her and the opportunity to be with Terry … No, nobody was going to come and ruin that.