by Mallory Quinn
It was the month of June and the sun was shining. Three young girls were having
fun at the shopping centre. They were mostly doing window shopping to
pass time. The city was London and they were downtown.
- Summer is coming and we still haven’t decided where to go…, said Candy
- Listen to us, said Patty, could we sound more snobbish?
- No, said Annie, we can afford it, why not take advantage? There’s only one life to live…
- Well my friend Christine called asking me to come to her wedding in Frankfurt, said Candy
- Germany? Said Patty, why not?
- Yeah, that would be great!
- The wedding is only one week end, said Candy
- One week end that’s going to bring us to Germany and maybe some big adventure! Said Annie
- Big adventure? Said Candy
- Candy, really sometimes you surprise me! Said Patty, Germany is a hot topic lately because of the World cup…
- The football? Said Candy
- Yes, said Annie we could go and watch the games…
- I think it’s in different cities, said Candy
- Yes, we know that! That’s the fun of it!! Said Patty
- So you suggest that we spend the whole month of June in Germany, watching football live?
- Why not? It’s going to be fun, and during the day we could discover the town…,said Annie
- You mean shopping? Said Candy, like you need more clothes Annie!
- We can do window shopping, said Annie smiling
- I’ll talk to my parents, said Candy
- Candy, you’re a grown woman, you don’t need your parents permission, you just need to inform them that you’re going to Germany…, said Patty
- You can have your own apartment, said Annie and enjoy life, you can move in with us…
- I like living with my parents. When I get married, I’m going to leave them, so let me take advantage of the time I’m living with them as their little girl…
- You’re not normal Candy, you know that? Said Patty, most people are in a hurry to leave their home, but not our Candy you want to live with your parents until you get marrie! That is if you stop blowing off all the guys…
- Well, my heart doesn’t do anything when I look at them…, said Candy
- What’s your heart suppose to do? Said Annie
- I don’t know, but I’ll know when it happens…, continued Candy
- You know Candy, you’re living in a dream world! Said Patty
- Maybe… my mother felt her heart dance when she saw my father for the first time. She couldn’t stop thinking about him and think; “his eyes are blue like the sky”…
- Oh my God! Said Patty, that’s what you want?
- I want to can’t stop thinking about the man I love, I want to see him every time I close my eyes…
- You’ve never had that? Said Annie, not even in school?
- No, I haven’t…, said Candy, high school was just for fun, nothing special, and college, well… you know
- You’re too cautious Candy, said Annie, have a little fun!
- I just want to keep myself for the one…, said Candy
- Princess Candy in her dream world, said Patty laughing
- I can’t believe my parents actually named me “Princess Candice”!
- Well they were glad to have their little princess, said Annie laughing out loud
- England is a kingdom, so “Princess” is an appropriate name, said Patty
- We can see you weren’t the one stuck with that name in school!!! Said Candy, I got teased like you have no idea; " hey princess, where's your crown?", until I decided not to let it bother me anymore and embrace my name…I was a Princess! And believe it or not, the other little girls started to envy me, and the little boys wanted to be the Princess’ boyfriend!
- There you go! Said Patty, you turned the situation around! Good for you!!!
- Let’s go back home, said Candy, my parents are having a dinner party tonight
- Don’t you get bored with those ? Said Annie
- No, I'm used to it…, said Candy
Candy went back home and her friends went to the apartment they were sharing. They had begged Candy to move in with them, but this last one wanted to stay with her family for as long as she could. She arrived at her parents very big mansion. She went to the bedroom to get ready for the dinner party. She took a shower and did her nails. Her mother entered the room after knocking softly
- Princess? She said
- I’m here mum, said Candy
- Are you ready to come downstairs?
- Yes, I’m ready
- Can you keep an open mind tonight?
- Mum… until I feel my heart dancing…my mind will be close…
- This is my life mum…I should be the one making the decision
- All right
- You’re in love with daddy aren’t you?
- Yes, I am…
- Well I want what you two have…
- We just want you to be safe, with a good man…
- I will find the right man mum, you’ll see…
- Well in the mean time, your father hopes you find one of his associates attractive…
- Let’s go, then
- Let’s get your sister…
They went to the sister’s bedroom and they found her putting her make up on. She was 15 and she had posters all over her room and one big poster of a famous football player. Her name was Queenie.
- Who’s your new crush, Queenie? Said Candy
- Terrence Grandchester!!! Don’t you know anything, Princess?
- Why should I know him? Said Candy
- Because he’s the captain of the English team that’s going to the world cup in Germany…
- Oh..., said Candy
Candy looked at the poster, he was quite an attractive man. She’s seen him on television, in papers and magazines… he had the most gorgeous blue eyes.
- Candy, said Queenie, he’s mine! Don’t steal him away!
- You’re falling for him…
- It’s a only a stupid poster, Queenie, stop saying nonsense!
- I see the way you look at him…
- Come girls, said the mother, let’s go…
They were walking downstairs and the two sisters continued talking.
- I can’t believe you’re jealous because I look at a stupid poster! Said Candy
- He’s my Terrence, said Queenie
- He probably has a girlfriend anyway
- Why do you have to burst my bubble?
- I’m sorry Queenie, said Candy, yes, he’s yours. I won’t touch him if I can ever see him…
- Well your friend’s wedding is in Germany, said the mother, you can go see the game and meet him, who knows?
- What? Said Queenie, I hate you Candy!
- Mum! Said Candy
- I’m sorry, honey, said the mother, Queenie come on, there’s going to be millions of fans from all over the world in Germany, what are the odds of Candy meeting your idol and falling for him?
- You’re right mum, said Queenie, even if she meets Terrence Grandchester, with her gloomy mood with guys, she’s going to chase him away!
- Would you two stop talking about me like I wasn’t here? Said Candy
They arrived in the living room and the guests were there. It was her father’s associates and acquaintances. One of them was very tall and blond he had another one who looked a lot like him.
- Princess, said her father, come and let me introduce you to some American partners of mine; this is William Andrew and his nephew Anthony…, this is my Princess Candy
- Pleased to meet you, said Candy smiling
- Hello, said William and Anthony smiling
- You two look a lot alike, said Candy
- Yes, said William, he’s my sister’s child
- Oh, right, said Candy
- So, Candy, said Anthony, how are you and what do you do in life?
- Well for the moment, I’m going to Germany to my friend’s wedding…, said Candy
- Germany? Said Anthony, that’s were the World cup is going to take place, right?
- America is there. I’m not really a soccer fan, said Anthony
- Right you guys call it “soccer”, said Candy smiling, we call it “football”, so is the rest of the world
- Yes, we Americans have our own football
- A form of rugby where you barely it the ball with the foot…
- Well I down know who came up with that name, but you’re right, it doesn’t make much sense to call a sport where we hold the ball with our hands, “football”
- In our football, only the goal can touch the ball with his hands, if the other players do so, they get a yellow card…
- It’s good to see a girl talking about sports, said William, even if it’s a sport I know practically nothing about
- The United States is there, said Candy if you have some free time, you can go see them in Germany…
- Well, we’ll think about it, said Anthony, are you going to see the games?
- Since I’m going to be in Germany, I’m going to see England play
Queenie arrived and she introduced herself.
- Hi, I’m Queenie…
- Hi Queenie, said William and Anthony
- England is going to get the cup this time, with Terrence Grandchester, he’s da bomb!
- Grandchester, said William, to me he’s just some pretty little face lucky he can kick a ball…
- How could you say that? Said Queenie, he’s the best thing that ever happened to the English team! They might get the cup this time!
- Well I heard he has an alcohol problem, said Anthony
- So, he can’t have a drink with some friends without being tag as an alcoholic? Said Queenie
- You’ve got Terrence Grandchester’s biggest fan, said Candy, she’s going to defend him to death!
- You thought he was handsome, by the way you were looking at his poster in my room, said Queenie to Candy
- Oh..., said Candy blushing a little, I was just surprised to see such a big poster in your room…
- How big is the poster? Asked Anthony
- It’s the actual size of Terrence Grandchester, said Queenie, it’s absolutely fabulous!
- Wow! Said William, well I hope you’re right, I hope he gets England to victory.
- He will! I have no doubt, what so ever! Said Queenie
- If you say so, your majesty, said Anthony
They burst out laughing. Dinner was great. Anthony was interested in Candy who nicely pushed him away. He was cute, and nice, but she was still waiting for the heart to “dance”, and it didn’t, when she saw him. They were outside in the garden.
- Candy, he said, I like you a lot, I would like to see you again
- Anthony, I think you’re likeable, but…
- It’s only the first night and I know I like you already
- I’m going to be honest with you… I wish I could say the same thing…
- You don’t feel the same…
- I like you as a friend, said Candy smiling
- We could have lunch tomorrow and talk some more
- Anthony, I don’t want to lead you on…when I meet the “one”, my heart is going to “dance” and I’ll know…
- So you’re telling me that you’re heart didn’t “dance” when you saw me…
- I’m sorry, said Candy I just want to make it clear… that I can only be your friend
- I’m glad you’re honest with me, even if I’m jealous of someone you haven’t even met yet…
- I’ll be your friend, said Anthony and if we meet in Germany during the world cup, I’ll keep you company
- All right then, it’s a date! Said Candy smiling
They went back inside and they found Queenie talking about Terrence Grandchester.
- You do know he has a girlfriend? Said her father
- I know! I don’t know what he sees in her! She looks so dull!
- She’s beautiful, said her mother
- A cold beauty if you ask me! Said Queenie, Susanna Marlowe, Susanna Marshmallow!
Every burst out laughing. When everybody left, Candy’s father said:
- So Princess, what do you think of William and his nephew?
- They’re really nice, said Candy
- Just nice? Said her father
- Yes, dad, just nice, said Candy
- What’s she’s saying is that her heart didn’t “dance”, said her mother
- Her heart “dance”? Said her father
- Yes, said Queenie, Princess says she’s going to marry the man who’s going to make her heart “dance”, not another one
- That’s ridiculous, said her father
- Why daddy, said Candy, I want a man who makes my heart beat from the moment I see him…
- Leave her alone, said her mother, she knows what she’s doing
- Thanks mum, said Candy. I’m going to bed now, good night daddy, thanks for the evening, night everybody
- Good night baby, said her dad
- Good night said her mum and Queenie
Candy went to her room and the took off her dress and she brushed her long blond hair, which were wavy. She thought about the evening, how charming William and Anthony were. But it was just that, they were just charming.
Candy called her friend Christine to tell her she was coming to her wedding.
- Thank you so much Candy! Said Christine
- You’re very welcome, said Candy
- I’m so excited to see you again!
Christine Bangert, had come in an exchange student program in London and she became friends with Candy.
- Me too, said Candy smiling, but my two friends are coming with me, they want to follow the English football team!
- Right! The world cup is here in Germany, said Christine, and you know we Germans won’t let it go anywhere…
- Well we’ll see about that, said Candy according to my sister, the captain of our team is the best player on the planet
- He’s very handsome, I’ll give you that! But he’s just a cute boy who’s lucky at kicking the ball…
- Why do everybody say that? You’re feeling threatened by him…We’re going to take that cup from Germany, you’ll see! Said Candy
- Well, may the best team win! Said Christine, I can’t wait to see you!
- Me neither! So I’ll see you the day before your wedding!
Candy hung up the phone and she got her stuff ready. She called her friends.
- So girls, are you ready to go to Germany? Said Candy
- Yes!!!!!!!! Said Patty
- Wonderful! Said Annie
- We’ll go to my friends wedding… I think it’s on England’s first game… so we’re going to miss it… but we’ll be able to see all the other games…
- I’ll go see the game, said Patty, we’ll just have to come and party later…
- All right girls, said Candy, Germany here we come!!!
Candy got ready for the trip to Germany. Her little sister wanted to come, but her parents refused saying she was too young. Queenie didn’t insist. She was going to watch the game on the giant television screen they had with all her friends, in the safety of her home.
Germany…the World Cup... Somehow, Candy thought that her life will never be the same after that.