Once Upon A Time…
upon a time there was a teenage girl named Candice Maria White, also known as
Candy for short, who lived with her mother and her grandmother. She was very
pretty. She had long wavy Venetian blond hair, big green eyes. She was thin and
she could eat anything she wanted and not gain one ounce. She had a best friend
named Annie Jones who lived with her mother also. They had a lot in common.
were both raised by single mothers and they both never met their fathers.
Summer had just started school was over. Candice had a little job working in a little diner. She woke up she took a shower and she put on her jeans and a nice t-shirt with flowers on it. She went to the kitchen where her mom was.
- Good morning mom, nana! She said happily
- Good morning, said her mom
- Good morning little one, said her grandmother, aren’t you the cheerful one?!
- When is she not cheerful? Said her mom
- Maria, let her live her life, she’s a young girl
- I don’t want her to end up like me!
- Mom, I’m going to finish school and I’m going to go to college and have a career, I promise you, said Candy smiling, I have to go to work…
- You’re not eating? Said her grandma
- I work in a café; I’ll grab something at work…
She kissed her mom and her grandmother.
- Bye mom! Bye nana!
Candy went outside and she met her boyfriend who was going to give her a ride in his new car his father got him because he did good in school.
- Hello! Said Candy smiling
- Hey baby! Said Tom smiling
Tom Cooper was her boyfriend. He drove her to work and she kissed him slightly on the lips.
- I’ll pick you up after work, he said
- All right
Candy got inside the diner and she saw her friend Annie.
- Hey Annie
- Hey Candy
- What’s up?
- Nothing new. Another day at work. Aren’t we supposed to be on vacation?
- Yeah but we want to earn some money to buy cool clothes for back to school, said Annie smiling
- Right! Said Candy it’s good to be reminded why I’m not enjoying myself!
They burst out laughing.
Once upon a time there was a young boy
named Terrence Grandchester who was in a limo taking him to Lakewood to his
father’s business partner’s mansion, for his summer holiday. He was sulking he
was angry, he was motionless. Thinking about what was it that brought him to
It was the end of school year at St. Paul Academy and Terrence Grandchester was the best of his class. He was in boarding school, when could’ve commute, because he didn’t like the atmosphere at home. He was looking forward to his summer holidays. He was with Lizzie his girlfriend and they were singing Cliff Richard’s song.
♪♪We're all going on a summer holiday
no more working for a month or two.
Fun and laughter on our summer holiday,
no more worries for me or you,
for a week or two.
We're going where the sun shines brightly
we're going where the sea is blue.
we've all seen it on the movies,
now let's see if it's true.
Everybody has a summer holiday
doin' things they always wanted to
So we're going on a summer holiday,
to make our dreams come true
for me and you.
for me and you.♪♪
They were laughing.
- Oh Terry, said Lizzie We’re going to have so much fun in Scotland
- Yes, we are! Said Terry laughing, let’s go baby!
They hopped in his Jaguar and they left school. They went to her house, and she dropped her stuff off and she left with him again. They went to Terry’s father’s castle. There was a brand new car in the drive way.
- Wow! Check out the new wheels! Said Terry
- Wonderful! Said Lizzie smiling
- You want to go for a joy ride? Said Terry
- Yes! She said
Terry opened the new car, a Rolls Royce , the key was in the ignition. Lizzie got in and they left together. The driver came out just in time to see the car leaving the property. Terry and Lizzie were screaming. Terry was still wearing his uniform… But the joy ride ended up badly. He hit a pole and the car was totalled, Terry came out without a scratch but Lizzie broke her right leg and her right arm… Terry’s father, the duke of Grandchester took care of the consequences of the accident. As a punishment, he sent Terry to America at his business partner’s mansion. Terry wanted to go to Scotland and have fun with his girlfriend. Lizzie’s parents didn’t want their daughter to hang out with Terry anymore; they even refused to see him at the hospital!
- You’re a bad seed, said Lizzie’s mother; I don’t ever want to see you near my daughter again!!!!!
The duke, who was at the hospital with his wife, didn’t say a word.
- I told you that bastard child of yours was worthless! He’s not going to take my son’s title…!
- Enough, he’s my eldest son! He’s the heir, no matter what you say! Terrence, let’s go home…Mr and Mrs Barrington, anything Lizzie needs, we’ll take care of it.
The Grandchesters left the hospital and when they got to their castle, the duke took Terry to his study.
- Father, said Terry, I’m terribly sorry about everything
- Terrence, I know you’re doing all this to get my attention, you don’t need to… you’re my son and I love you. I might not show it, but I do love you, or I wouldn’t have taken you to live with me. You’re Eleonor’s son and I loved her dearly…why are you behaving like this? You almost killed yourself and the Barrington’s daughter…
- It was not my intention…
- Your driver’s license is suspended until further notice
- So I’ll have to walk while in Scotland? Are you going to give me a driver?
- You’re not going to Scotland…
- As a punishment, you’re going to America, in a little town
- You’re sending my in a village in America????
- Yes, my friend and associate, William Albert Andrew has castles in Lakewood, he’s raising his sister’s children, they’re about your
- But father…
- It’s either that, or you stay here and listen to your stepmother throwing picks at you….your choice
Terry looked at his father stunned. He was actually giving him a choice to escape his stepmonster’s meanness! He totally misread his father, his father loved him. It made him feel better, but the fact that he had to totalled a brand new car just to see his father be nice to him, was almost worth it. He wished his father was more loving and expressed his feelings for him more often.
- That’s a no brainier dad, I’ll take America of course…
- Don’t forget, you’re not the boss there, you’re their guest and you should behave as a guest…
- Don’t worry dad, you won’t be there, so I don’t need to get your attention! You’re sending me away when I spend my school year in boarding school to escape your horrible wife…I won’t even get to spend time with you!
- And whose fault is that? You’re the one who decided to go on a joy ride and almost kill yourself and the Barrington’s daughter! You wanted my attention? You got my attention! Now I’m sending you to America as a punishment… I can send you to the police so you could do some community service to pay for the car and that poll, but I don’t want the future duke of Grandchester in the papers, that’s why I took care of that…Now you go get ready, you’re leaving for America tonight!
Terry went to get ready for his trip. He said goodbye to his brothers and sisters and he left for Gatwick airport. He took the plane to America and he got to Chicago. The Andrew’s driver was there to pick him up… he was now in the car taking him to Lakewood the
“village”…He came back to reality. They arrived in a very big property with a beautiful castle.
“That’s a very nice village” He thought
William Albert Andrew, a tall blond and handsome man was smiling when he walked towards Terry.
- Terrence! He said, It’s so good to see you!
They shook hands, smiling.
- Mr. Andrew, it’s very nice of you to have me for the summer.
- I’m sure you’re going to have a lot of fun here with my nephews and my niece…
- You only have one niece?
- Yep! She sometimes feels a little lost in a family full of boys. Let’s go inside the house, they’re all waiting for you…
William walked with Terry inside, while the butler and the driver took care of his luggage. There was a big living room where all the teens where. William and Terry arrived…
- Guys, this is Terrence Grandchester, the eldest son of the duke of Grandchester, one of my partners in England and he’s going to spend the summer with us…
- Hi Terrence! Said the others
- Hi, you can call me Terry, he said
- I’m Anthony
- I’m Alistair
- I’m Archie
- I’m Neil
- I’m Eliza, she said with the softest voice
- Come on in, we’re watching a movie, said Alistair smiling
- Ok, said Terry
- I just love your accent, said Eliza taking his arm with a smile
William left them to go make some phone calls… Summer is going to be great for his nephews and hopefully for his partner’s son too.
The teens decided to go out to grab a bite at the diner where Candy worked with Annie.
- Candy! Look, he’s here!
- Who? Said Candy
- Archibald Cornwell!
- The dandy? Said Candy
- Don’t call him that!
- Well look at his long hair, and he’s always so…neat!
- He’s a clean boy!
- And those silk shirts…
- He likes quality stuff
- You’ve got it bad for him! Said Candy laughing, let me go take their order, you won’t be able to write a thing in front of your dandy!
- Yeah, said Annie laughing and I can look at him without him seeing me from here…
- Our shift is almost over, said Candy, let’s serve those rich kids and leave…
Candy walked to the table.
- May I take your order? She said without looking at them
- I’ll have a BLT, said Anthony
- Me too, said all the boys
- All right, said Candy, what about you Miss?
- I’ll have a croque-monsieur, said Eliza
The others looked at her. She was teasing the waitress.
- A croque-monsieur? Said Candy
- That’s what I said, you do know what a croque-monsieur is? Said Eliza
- Did you come here to test me? Said Candy
- I just want to make sure you know what it is…
- Why? Because it has a French name, I couldn’t possible know what it is? Said Candy
“Candy, you’re not here to argue with the customers, you’re here to work! But this redhead is getting on my nerves!!!!” She thought
- I don’t think they teach you French in your public school, said Eliza
- If you know that, why did you order some French stuff?
- French stuff! Said Eliza laughing
The others were laughing at their little exchange. Terry couldn’t take his eyes off of Candy ever since she walked to them to take their order.
- A croque-monsieur, Miss Freckles, is just a fancy name for grilled cheese sandwich with ham
Everybody was surprised to see hear Terry talk. He had been so silent ever since he arrived. Candy raised her head to look at him, their eyes met, it was like they both heard a thunderbolt in their hearts.
- Why thank you English, said Candy, but I know what a croque-monsieur is… we don’t have gruyere cheese Miss, would Swiss cheese be ok instead?
Eliza was a little puzzled, by Terry’s intervention and Candy’s answer, she felt a vibe between them and she didn’t like it!
- Euh… sure, said Eliza less sure of herself, what would you suggest I drink?
- Water could help you lose a few pounds, said Candy
The others burst out laughing. Eliza was furious! Candy was so slim! Eliza was a little chubby; she was bigger than Candy…
- Yeah Eliza after eating a croque-monsieur so greasy, water would be best if you don’t want to gain too much weight
- Yeah! Agreed the other guys laughing
- Water it is! Said Eliza sulking
- Fine, said Candy, your order will be ready soon
She was looking at Terry who winked at her with a smile. She didn’t smile back at him and she left to give the order to the kitchen. Annie was getting the glasses ready for other customers, was looking at Candy.
- Candy, you look flushed…, said Annie
- Gee thanks!
- Really! What happened there?
- Those stupid rich kids!
- That red head is so mean, every time she comes, she’s acting like someone who knows everything by ordering stuff with foreign sounding names
- Yep! Said Candy, well that’s not my problem anymore. My shift is over and there’s my Tommy
Tom entered the café and Candy went to hug him and they kissed briefly. Terry didn’t miss that! Neither did the others.
- She’s got a boyfriend! Said Anthony, darn
- What? Said Archie, you’re interested in her?
- Well she’s very sweet…
- Archie don’t pretend, you talk about her too! Said Alistair
- You too! Said Archie
- Really? Said Neil
- Don’t even let me start Neil! Said Eliza
- You all have a thing for her? Said Terry and none of you made a move?
- She’s got a boyfriend, said Anthony
- Looks like you just found out today, said Terry
- You like her too Terry? Said Eliza upset
- I didn’t say that, say Terry
- Coming to her rescue…, said Archie, I say you’re hooked on her too!!!
- Right! Said Eliza, but you see, we try not to socialise with the locals…they’re not from our class…
Terry looked at Eliza like she had just fallen from the sky.
- So we’re better than them because they’re poor? Said Terry
- Well, it’s not our fault if we’re rich, said Neil
- And it’s not her fault if she’s poor! Said Terry
Candy had changed her clothes back to her jeans and t-shirt. She was smiling to her boyfriend. Annie changed too and they left together in Tom’s car. The rich kids were looking at them go in Tom’s car, all laughing and joking. Another waitress brought them their order. They ate their sandwiches while debating about the local people in town.
Candy and Tom dropped off Annie and they continued their way. Tom drove her to a place they called “Make out point” because all the teens with car would go there to make out at night.
- Tom, why are taking me here in broad day light? Said Candy
- Candy we need to talk…
- That doesn’t sound good, said Candy
- I… want to see other people…
- I want to date other girls and find out what else is out there
- You mean you want to date girls who spread their legs! Tom you told me you were all right to wait!
- I know but…
- Oh my God, you tasted it and now you want more?
- It’s just that I can’t give you what you need and you can’t give me what I need, it’s better if we see other people…
- Well at least you didn’t use the usual “It’s not you it’s me” crack!
- You want to break up with me because I won’t have sex with you!
- I need to experience it before I tie myself to someone forever??
- So I’m just supposed to wait until you’re done sowing your wild oats? Then you’ll come back to marry me?
- Who said anything about marriage?
- Sorry, my mistake. I thought we had a future together… I was thinking we would go to the same college in Chicago, then get married later… but I was just a fool dreaming of the perfect life, with the unperfect man!!!!
Candy got out of the car and she started walking back home. Tom followed her slowly with his car.
- Candy come on, get in the car, I’ll take you home…
- Don’t do me any favours! I can walk
- Candy please…
- You just broke up with me, Tom… you don’t have to do anything else for me…go! I don’t want to see you!!!
- Fine! Said Tom leaving
Candy couldn’t believe Tom actually left her! Thankfully it was summer the sun set later in the day, so daylight lasted longer. She was walking on the street, in the middle of nowhere and some cars stopped to talk to her.
- Can I take you somewhere Miss?
- Did you see me hitchhiking? Said Candy
- I just want to help…
- I can walk, I’ve got two legs!
- Suit yourself! Said the man leaving
“Oh my God! I’m in the middle of nowhere! I’m never talking to Tom again! The moron! Dumping me for girls who have sex!! He dumped me for tramps!!!! I can’t believe it!! Guys are so stupid!!” She rambled in her head
Another car stopped. It was a Rolls Royce…
- Can I give you a ride? She heard
- Mr. William, she said with a smile
- Hi Candy…
- You got lost or something
- Or something
- Hop in, I’ll give you a ride back home…
- Thank you so much! I thought I be walking forever!
She hoped in the back with him. He had a driver.
- I’m sure you had some people offering you rides
- My mommy always told me not to talk to strangers, let alone get in their cars
- It’s good to listen to your mommy, said William laughing, you’re a very sensible girl…tell me what happened…
William was her confident. He always seemed to pop up whenever she needed help. This time was no exception.
- Tom and I broke up…, she said sadly
- Oh… I’m sorry. He got tired of waiting for you to spread your legs?
- He found some hoochie mamas who were willing to do it!
They looked at each other and they burst out laughing. They understood each other so well.
- You don’t look too broken up about it…
- Actually I thought I would be more hurt than that…. But…
She pictured blue green eyes with the English accent calling her “Miss Freckles”. What the hell was that? He’s a rich kid; he would never go out with her! But her heart did receive a thunderbolt when she looked into his eyes…
Albert looked at her.
- Do you like someone else already?
- So it was some sort of good riddance for Tom, hein?
- Mr. William!
- I’m right and you know it, he said laughing
- You know me too well , she said laughing too
They continued talking until they got home. Candy got out of the car.
- I’ll come and say hi to your mother
- All right, said Candy smiling
They walked to the house and Candy opened the door.
- Hey mom! Nana!
- Candy! Said her grandma
Candy ran to kiss her grandmother.
- I’m going to go to my room and call Annie, bye Mr. William, thanks for the ride
- Any time honey! Said William smiling
Candy went to her room. Candy’s mother was not a happy camper.
- What are you doing here? She asked William
- I gave Candy a ride home, I saw her in the road…
- She’s capable of walking!
- Maria, please. Let me be in her life…
- No! She’s doesn’t need you!
- Don’t you think it should be her decision to make? You’re depriving her of the birthright…
- Your father dumped me like yesterday’s garbage when I came to him for help…
- That’s why I want to make things right. I want to take care of my sister, please, let me do it…
- No! I don’t need your charity!
- It’s not charity, it’s her birth right! She’s an Andrew, whether you want it or not!
- Please leave my house, said Candy’s mother bitter
- All right. But you can’t stop me from helping my little sister. And I don’t have to be physically there to do it… good bye Maria, Miss Pony…
- Bye, said Miss Pony
William left. Miss Pony stared at her daughter.
- Maria, he just wants to help you and Candy
- But why? You can’t deprive Candy of her birth right. She’s going to find out sooner or later, that she’s William Andrew Senior’s daughter…
- I gave up being a nun for the monster! Stupid me! Now I have an illegitimate daughter to raise on my own…!
- His son wants to help, to make up for his father’s mistakes
- Too little, too late!
Miss Pony shook her head. Candy was an Andrew and she deserved to have a good life, an easy life due to her birthright. William was willing to help Candy, and he was not going to wait for Maria’s answer forever.
William was in his car thinking.
“Oh Candy, my dear little sister. You have no idea you’re part of the Andrew family. Father left you something and I would have to give it to you sooner or later. But you mother is so stubborn…”
He got to his castle and he went to his study to wait until dinner was ready.