sky was white and blue. The clouds looked like big cotton balls. The
plane seemed to be staying in one place, the sky seemed so close, like
you could touch it. The passengers of Andrew Airlines were trying not
to feel too stressed; they were all going to the same place, to Beijing
in China for the Olympic Games. Every body on the plane had worked
really hard to be there, to get to that place. Some people had their
family members with them for support, but not everybody could afford
bringing their loved ones with them.
One young girl was
sitting by the window looking at the sky. Her name was Candice White,
but they called her Candy. She was sitting next to her coach Mr.
Morris. Her mind was so far away…
She grew up in an orphanage,
near Lake Michigan, with her sister and best friend Annie. Annie got
the change to get adopted, while Candy stayed at the Pony Home. She was
taken by this family, the Reagans who wanted her to keep company to
their daughter Eliza, but Candy never got along with the young Miss
Reagan who was treating her bad and making her suffer. Candy didn’t
care about being in a big mansion, so she went back to the Pony Home.
She was going to the local public high school and her gym teacher
realised that she was a fast runner on the track. So Candy started to
practice and she was winning all the time, sometimes almost beating the
world record. Her teacher was impressed.
- Candy, I’m going to put you down for some national competition
- Yes… you can do it. Believe in yourself
- I’m… not too sure, said Candy
Candy listen to me…You’re from the Pony Home and you need a
scholarship, this could be your way to a very nice one, think about
it…you know what you want to do?
- I want to be a doctor, said Candy
- There you go… with a scholarship, you can…
- All right, thanks Mr. Morris, said Candy smiling
how she got a scholarship, by winning competitions and got noticed by
Chicago University. She was in med school when she met this boy at the
cafeteria. He was cute with long light brown hair… He was standing next
to her when she was putting her food on a tray.
- Hi, he said smiling
- I’m Archie…
- I’m Candy…
- Sweet name
- Smooth talker
burst out laughing. Candy got the check out and she paid for her food
and she found an empty table and she sat down. Archie followed her.
- Can I sit with you? He said
- It’s a free world…
Archie sat in front of her.
- What are you studying?
- A future doctor…
- What are you studying?
- A future lawyer…
- And business man. My family wants me to take over the business some day…
- Well that’s good
- It is…You’re living on campus?
- I live at home
- With your parents?
- No, they live abroad…
- They left you behind?
- Yeah, my brother and I live with my cousin and our great aunt
- I have no family…I grew up in a orphanage
- Oh… You’re here on a scholarship…
- Yep! I better not mess it up if I want a future someday
- I’m sure you’re going to make it… would you like to go out with me for dinner?
- I like you a lot Candy…
- I can see that… dinner?
- Don’t worry about the dress; I’ll get you one…
- I don’t need your charity, she said upset
- It’s not charity, it’s my hobby
- Your hobby is to make dresses?
- Surprising huh?
looked at Archie, he was very elegant and his white shirt seemed like
it came from the pressing place, immaculate. His black pants were
ordinary, but for some reason, Archie made them look so good.
- So what do you say? He asked
- You have a dress that could fit me?
- I’ll have a dress ready for you by the time I come to pick you up…
- That’s something I have to see, said Candy smiling
- I’ll pick you up at 7 pm, would that be good for you?
- Yes, I’d be back from practice by then…
- Yes, I have a sport scholarship…track and field is my specialty, running to be precise
- Good for you! Said Archie smiling, remind me not to make you run, I won’t be able to catch you!
They both burst out laughing and they had a good time during lunch.
went back to her room around 6 pm and she got ready for her date with
Archie. She was talking to some girls who were with her in her room.
- Who are you going out with? Said one name Louise
- His name is Archie, said Candy
The other girls looked at her like she just fallen from the sky.
- Archibald Cornwell? Said Louise
- I don’t know his last name, said Candy
- Long light brown hair, girlish look, very handsome and charming
- Euh yeah, said Candy, that fits his description
- How in the world did you get a date with Archibald Cornwell? Said Louise with disdain, he only dates rich girls!
- I didn’t go looking for him, said Candy, he came to sit at my table in the lunch room
- At your table? You probably gave him a signal, said Louise
- A signal for what? Said Candy
- That you’re an easy target said another girl name Pamela
Candy looked at them stunned.
- You’re an orphan girl, what would Archibald Cornwell want with you? Said Louise, he just wants to get you laid…
- Yeah, said Pamela
All right then, said Candy, now can you get out of my room and never
come back? If Archibald Cornwell wants to fuck me, he’s welcome! I
don’t need two spoiled brats like you to tell me about a relationship
you know nothing about! Get out!
The two girls were sulking.
- He’s going to dump you once he gets you laid
- Don’t generalise your case ladies! Said Candy upset
the two girls were walking out, a woman, the cleaning lady brought
something for Candy. It was one of the most beautiful dresses she had
ever seen… Candy opened her mouth. The dress was red and white, short
and very elegant.
- Thank you, said Candy
Louise and Pamela looked at the dress, jealous.
- He bought you a dress so he could at least look at you before he gets you in his bed, then dump you!
Candy slammed the door on them! What possessed her to befriend those two bitches?! She was just so alone in that big school.
put the dress on and it fit her like a glove and she was amazed by the
result. What a difference a dress makes! She looked like those
socialite women she saw on television and magazine living the wild life.
Except, I’m not, said Candy, maybe those girls are right; what would a
guy like Archibald Cornwell want with me? Just to get me laid… maybe I
should cancel… No, he went through all the trouble in sending me a
dress… I can’t let him down… I’ll just go and have fun…and eat. Then
I’ll tell him I can’t see him anymore.
With that in mind, Candy
was outside when Archie came to pick her up with his Mercedes, which
cost at least 30.000$. She had a shawl, white shoe and a matching
purse. He got out of the car to go meet her.
- You look beautiful, he said
- The dress makes all the difference
- You’re more beautiful than that dress…, he said softly
- Thank you for the dress, I love it
smiled and he walked to open the door for her. She got in smiling. They
went to a fancy restaurant Candy wouldn’t even think of going there.
She felt a little out of place. But she was with Archie, he made her
feel better. They sat down and they ordered. Candy had no idea what to
take, everything seemed so complicated.
- Sorry Archie, I don’t understand the menu, what’s with all the fancy names? What’s “Coq au vin”?
- That’s French for chicken with wine
- Ok… sorry. Can you order for me? I trust you
- All right, said Archie smiling, I’m sorry I made you uncomfortable. I should’ve chosen another restaurant…
That’s fine, said Candy smiling, I’m just not used to going out. I
concentrated on my studies and running to get the scholarship…
- So I guess it’s no wine for you?
- No alcohol, I don’t drink and alcohol makes you tired, your muscles, your joints, I need to stay in shape all the time…
- That’s no fun
- I’m used to it, said Candy it’s fine…
- You need to have fun. Did you have any boyfriends?
Nope…did not have the time… I’ve had some flirts but nothing serious
…My goal is to become a doctor and run in the Olympics one day
- You’ve got big dreams
- I believe I can be whatever I want to be…Think positive
- You’ve got a nice attitude…
- I shouldn’t be sad because I’m an orphan, I’m alive and I’m going to save lives, have the family I never had one day…
- I want a family one day too, a family I’m going to stay with, not dump on some old family member…
was bitter about his parents dumping him and his brother on his old
aunt Elroy, while they live their lives the way they want to.
- I’m sure you and I can make our dreams come true one day, said Candy smiling
- I like your smile, said Archie
- By the way, I was with some girls earlier talking about our date…
- Louise and Pamela…
- Those two snobs?
- They said you only wanted to get me laid…
- Figures…, said Archie
- Do you have a history with them?
- Only that they tried to seduce me unsuccessfully I might add
- They’re jealous. They said that to discourage you… I really like you Candy…
- So you don’t want to get me laid?
- I want to go out with you, get to know and spend time with you… about the sex, we’ll cross that bridge when we get there…
- So you do want to get me laid?
- Oh my God, can we not talk about this now?
- We’re getting to know each other, now is as good a time as any…
- Look Candy, let’s spend some time together and enjoy each other’s company…
- By doing the nasty?
- Is that all you think about?
- Don’t tell me you’re not thinking about it…
- You don’t strike me as a girl that sleeps around a lot…
- I’ve never had a boyfriend , I told you
- You’re a virgin…
- Makes me more appealing, or not?
- Why do you want to know?
- Are you willing to wait, if our relationship goes anywhere?
- Wait? I can’t believe I’m talking about this on a first date…
- What do you talk about on first dates?
- Usually, about current events, we eat and then…
- My room or yours?
- Something like that…
- Then Master. Cornwell, you’ve picked the wrong girl…
No I didn’t. I saw the most beautiful girl in the lunch room today and
I asked her out… you’re not like the others, that’s what attracted me
to you. I want to try this, by your rules…
Candy looked at him and smiled.
- You are so charming Archibald Cornwell
He smiled. Their food arrived; the entrees… Candy had a weird face.
- You don’t like it…, said Archie
- Sorry, to me it looks like grass on a plate with some tiny pieces of fruits or whatever…
Archie burst out laughing.
- I’ve never looked at it like that
Candy started to laugh too. When the main course arrived, as much as Candy wanted to enjoy it…
- This is not your cup of tea… that’s fine. Come on, I’ll take you someplace you like
asked for the food to be packed to go and they left the fancy
restaurant. He took her to a sandwich place called “Subway”. Candy was
happy to have on submarine with healthy stuff on it. Archie picked his
sandwich and they had a great time eating their subs. Archie could see
the difference with Candy, how comfortable and how happy she was.
He took her back to the dorm.
- Thank you so much for this lovely dinner
- Sorry about the beginning
- But you redeemed yourself, I had a great time, and a great talk
- You’re a pretty straight forward girl… I like that! He said smiling
leaned and took her lips in a light kiss at first, and then it became
more passionate and longer. Candy went back to her room on a cloud.
she was dating Archibald Cornwell, one of the most eligible bachelors
of Chicago. She concentrated on her studies, her training. She was
winning competitions but she’d rather concentrate on school.
had met Archie’s family; his brother Alistair, who was going to Harvard
University studying engineering, his cousin Anthony who was studying
Molecular Biology and the famous great aunt, who took one look at Candy
and hated her. But Candy got along great with Anthony, a little too
great. Archie was joking about it, but you could feel he was jealous.
- Anthony, he said I love you like a brother, but Candy is off limits…
- What are you saying Archie? Said Anthony, I know she’s your girl…
became bright as red. She felt good with Anthony, but she will never
act on those feelings. Archie saw Candy’s reaction. She was still
unwilling to sleep with him, he thought he would’ve convinced her after
a few months, but months turned to years and he couldn’t believe he was
still with her.
Candy did not know why she didn’t want to take
her relationship with Archie to the next level. She was afraid of being
disappointed, or ditched once he got what he wanted… Or was she sure
about her feelings about him? Was that true love? But why was she
attracted to Anthony like that?
She was at the mansion one day, Archie was not there. She found Anthony.
- Hi Candy, he said
- Hey Anthony…
- Archie is not here…
- Oh… I wanted to surprise him
- I’m sorry. I’m going for a ride, would like to come with me?
- I have ridden a horse in ages…
- Come on, it’s like riding a bike, you never forget
- All right.
Candy went for a horse ride with Anthony. He had given her a nice mare name Nefertiti.
- She’s a queen, said Candy
- Yes, said Anthony, a very nice queen
were smiling at each other. They were talking joking, having fun.
Anthony was in an Eventing team, he was hoping to go to the Olympics
- Really? Said Candy, my dream is to go to the Olympics too…
- Which sport?
- Running, track and field… Archie never told you
- Nope, I guess he didn’t want me to have another thing in common with you…
Candy blushed and she felt guilty. She liked Anthony’s company a lot.
“Maybe it’s just a harmless crush, she thought, it will pass…”
went back to the stable and arrange the horses for the night. Candy was
sitting on the hay waiting for Anthony. When he was done he gave her
his hand to help her stand up and Candy found herself in Anthony’s
arms. The attraction was strong, Anthony leaned and kissed her. Candy
responded to the kiss and it got passionate, it was so good, or was it
the fact that it was a forbidden fruit. They kissed for a while… Until…
- Anthony? Anthony? Where are you?
and Anthony let go of each other immediately. Candy walked away from
Anthony and a young woman entered the stables. She had red hair and she
was Candy’s worst enemy!
- Eliza, said Anthony with a soft voice
- Anthony, I’ve been looking for you everywhere?
- I went riding with Candy, said Anthony
- Candy? Candy White? What in the world are you doing here with Anthony
- She’s Archie’s girlfriend, said Anthony
- What? Archie? What do you know? You managed to nail one of the most eligible bachelors of Chicago… you dirty little orphan!
- Eliza, that’s just plain rude, said Anthony, Candy is a guest in our house
- Anthony, she’s just an orphan… she was my maid in Lakewood
- She’s a breathing human being like you and I and you will treat her well…
Eliza who wanted to be in Anthony’s good grace smiled.
- Of course Anthony, anything for you, she said taking his arm and walking away from the stables.
was too upset by what she had just done to pay attention to Eliza’s
meanness. She followed them to the mansion. Eliza managed to block her
in a corner when she was going to powder her nose.
- You listen
to me you little slut, you keep your filthy paws off of Anthony do you
hear me? If you don’t want me to expose for the two timing bitch that
- Bite me Eliza! Said Candy upset
- Be sure of one thing, you’re never going to marry Archie, I’m going to make sure of that and you can take that to the bank!
Eliza left and Candy looked at her go. She found Anthony in one of the living room where there was piano.
- Candy, he said
- I have to go…
- You don’t want to wait for Archie?
- No… I… I have to study
- All right then… but you and I need to talk
- About what? Nothing happened; let’s just forget about it…
- We shouldn’t have done it, it was a mistake
- It was mutual…
- It can’t happen again… I have to go. Thanks for the ride…
Candy left the mansion; she met Neil who had a mocking smile.
- Hello Candy, he said you’ve become quite a sight for sore eyes
Candy did not reply, she went back to her dorm. She cried her eyes out and she fell asleep after wetting her pillow with tears.
that moment on, she avoided the mansion altogether. Archie was
wondering what was wrong she told him it was about the games and
- Honey, you’re always practicing…
- Archie, this might be my last chance to qualify
You remind me of Anthony, he’s obsessed with the Olympics! He even had
my uncle’s Airline to have some planes exclusive for the Olympics!
turned away when he talked about Anthony. She did get along better with
him… He understood her passion for sports and the Olympics.
Archie you do you know that we get an Olympiad only every 4 years? If I
miss this one, I’ll have to wait another 4 years. I took the
accelerated program to finish school faster so I can concentrate on
going to the Olympics…
- I know, you sacrificed me in the process too! I never see you!
- I came to see you the other day, where were you?
Archie seemed a little uncomfortable.
- I’m sorry I missed you Candy, I was out with some friends…
- It’s fine
- You should’ve waited for me, I got home on time for dinner
- Your cousins Neil and Eliza kind of chase me out
- I was hired, years ago to keep Eliza company; she and her brother made my life a living hell, I went back to the Pony home…
- Oh… sorry. They were in England studying…They came back not too long ago…
- I promise you when the Olympics are over, I’ll be all yours
- Yeah right! Then it’s going to be the shifts at the hospital
Candy looked at him stunned.
- Well I’m sorry I don’t have a rich family business to fall back on if I fail!
- Candy, I’m sorry it’s not what I meant…
- You said you would wait until I’m ready
- It’s been years…
- If you love me…
- Not that again…
- Archie, I think you better leave before we say things we regret…
- You’re right…
left her room very upset. Anthony would call Candy and they would
discuss without talking about what happened between them. Sometimes
they would do lunch. Archie was still upset with her, and he was not
calling. Candy would go see Anthony performing and he would go see her.
They were best friends.
Anthony’s Eventing team qualified for
the Olympics, so did Candy. They were both overjoyed and they went to
the restaurant to celebrate. That’s where Archie saw them. He was with
another girl and got upset when he saw Candy with his cousin.
- Well well well, Anthony, having dinner with my girlfriend behind my back? He said
- Archie, it’s not what you think, said Anthony, my team made it to the Olympics…
- And so did I , said Candy
- And you two thought you should celebrate together and cut me out?
- Archie, said Anthony
- Do you have something to tell me Candy? Are you screwing my cousin? Said Archie upset
- What? Said Candy
- Archie, that’s uncalled for…, said Anthony
Is it? I’m not talking to my girlfriend because we had a fight and
you’re socialising with her! She’s mine Anthony, get your own
- You’re lucky I’m happy I’m going to the Olympics, otherwise I would’ve punched you, said Anthony angry
- Go ahead, you want to take this outside? Said Archie pushing
Candy couldn’t believe what was happening, they were fighting over her.
- If you took better care of your girlfriend, said Anthony maybe I wouldn’t need to keep her company…
- She’s mine and I didn’t ask you to look after her!
- Oh my God, would you stop it Archie? Anthony has been there for me, when you weren’t! Leave him alone! Said Candy
- So you’re admitting something is going on between you two?
- I’m not admitting to anything! Said Candy, Anthony let’s go, I don’t want to stay here anymore… It’s over
- You’re breaking up with me? Said Archie
I need support Archie, in a very important time in my life and you’re
not giving me that. I made it to the Olympics, you haven’t even
congratulated me! I don’t need your drama, I need to concentrate on
school and the Olympics and you’re not helping!
Candy stood up and walked to the door. Anthony looked at his cousin.
- You’re acting like a jerk, he said before following Candy
was stunned by the turns of events. Candy was in the car with Anthony
crying. She had been feeling guilty since her kiss with Anthony. She
couldn’t continue being with Archie, because she was in love with
- I’m sorry Candy, said Anthony
- Don’t be, it was long overdue…he wasn’t supporting my running… and all the time I spent practicing…
- Why was he behaving that way?
- I think it’s because I told him to wait before we get to the next level… and I think he got frustrated waiting
- There’s nothing wrong with waiting Candy, said Anthony, you have values, don’t be ashamed of that …
- Thank you Anthony, she said smiling at him.
She got along so much better with him. When they got to the dorm, she got out of the car.
- I’ll walk you to your dorm…
- All right, said Candy who didn’t feel like leaving him
He parked the car and they walked to her dorm. They got in the room. A door opened spying on them…
- You want something to drink? Said Candy
- No, I’m fine, he said
were looking at each other. There was electricity in the air. The
sexual tension of all those days since their kiss, they were
They had both spoken at the same time.
- I love you…
- I love you…
the same time again, they were on the same page. They smiled. They
approached each other and they started kissing passionately. Anthony
knew the limits and they never crossed the line…He stayed with her
until very late.
- I have to go, he said kissing her again
She pulled him back and kissed him again and again…
- Good bye my love, she said kissing him
- Good bye my beautiful…
Archie was waiting for his cousin…
- Did you sleep with her? He asked upset
- You stole my girlfriend…
punched him and they started fighting, breaking everything in the room.
They made so much noise the rest of the mansion woke up… Alistair and
Neil separated them. The Great Aunt was upset.
- What in the world are you two doing? Fighting in the middle of the night?
- It’s probably over that tramp Candy said Eliza, I saw her kissing Anthony in the stables the other day
- What? Said Archie
He freed himself and punched Anthony again
- You bastard!
Alistair pulled his brother again.
- That’s enough! Said Alistair
- I love her, said Anthony and she loves me…
- Oh my God! Said Aunt Elroy
She hated Candy at first sight, she knew she was up to no good!
- How could you do this to me? Said Archie in tears
- I’m so sorry, but I can’t help how I feel…, said Anthony
- So you’re going out with Candy now? Said Eliza
- She broke up with Archie tonight, said Anthony
- And the next minute she was on your lips? Said Eliza, the slut!
- Don’t call her that, said Anthony, I’m going to marry her…
- Marry? Said Aunt Elroy, oh dear Lord!
Anthony left to go to his room. Aunt Elroy also went back to her room. Alistair walked Archie to his room.
- Are you going to be fine?
- What do you think? I can’t believe he stole her from me…
Well bro, you kind of neglected her because she wouldn’t sleep with
you…and you were not supporting her running… when Anthony did support
her and they had the same Olympic dreams…
- Don’t remind me!
- She’s with Anthony now, deal with it!
Alistair got out of the room. Archie didn’t sleep that night. He took Candy for granted… now he had lost her.
and Anthony were inseparable, going to each other’s competitions,
spending time together, the movies, dinner. Archie got used to seeing
them together… life goes on.
One night during their dinner in a restaurant, Candy found a diamond ring in her glass of water…
- Oh my God…, she said
- Candice White, will you marry me?
He was on one knee and she was surprised. She smiled and said;
- Yes, Anthony I’ll marry you!
put the ring on her finger and stood, pull her to him and they kissed
passionately. The other customers started clapping their hands and
- Let’s get married after the Olympics… after that’s
out of the way, because for now, we can only focus on the Olympics, we
don’t need additional stress
- It’s no stress at all, said Candy, but yes, let’s do it after winning our gold medals!
- Yes! He said laughing
was the month of November, the Olympics was in the summer of the
following year. There was this big competition and Anthony was in the
leading team… but something went wrong, there was an accident during a
regular jump over a hurdle… the horse fell on him killing him instantly
in front of thousands of people… Candy fainted when she heard that
Anthony was pronounced dead…
Candy was inconsolable. Archie who
resented his cousin, was also inconsolable. He and Candy mutually
consoled each other. But they didn’t rekindle their relationship. Candy
love Anthony and she was only thinking about him. She was even
considering dropping out of the Olympics. Archie, surprisingly, was the
one who gave her the courage and the will to continue.
- Do it for Anthony, he wouldn’t want you to abandon your dream
- But without him…
It was your dream before him, Candy, don’t give it up… Anthony couldn’t
live his dreams, to compete in the Olympics and to marry you… Life
could end at any moment… live your dream, do it for you and for him…
Candy was in tears, she hugged Archie and she cried for a while.
- All right, I’ll do it, for me and for Anthony most of all… I will get the gold my love; we’re going to make it!
how she found herself on the plane going to Beijing for the Olympic
Games. As the plane landed, she was praying God to give her the
strength to compete and to win.
“Here I am Anthony. I’m in Beijing. I’m going to live our dream for the two of us.”