"In the nick of time…"
Bishop Albert was with George and looking at his preys…
- This is not the wolf I'm looking for!
- I killed lots of them, your grace, you know there are more wolves than humans since the plaid, I can't get you living wolves…
- The one I'm looking for is with a woman, a very beautiful woman with big emerald eyes… She appears at night, the moon is her sun and her name is Candice… Find her, and you'll find the wolf I'm looking for! The wolf who… loves her. A black wolf!
- Candice, said George looking at the bishop go.
Candy moved and opened her eyes. She was still at Monk Martin's, lying down. She saw Cook…
- Don't move, said Cook, you can hurt yourself and start bleeding again.
- You're traveling with him. Aren't you? What's your name?
- My name is Cook, some people call me Cookie the mouse.
- You're traveling with him, aren't you?
- Yes… "You save this falcon, he said, because she's my life, my last hope of survival" . Then he said: "One day, we'll be so happy like two people dream of, but we will never be…"
Candy looked at him:
- He said that?
- I swear on my life.
Cook stood up and got out of the room. He went to see Monk Martin.
- Does she know?
- Does she know what?
- That you're the priest who betrayed them?
- God gave me a way to redeem myself: he gave me the solution to solve their problem…
- Explain yourself.
- I know how to break the spell… and for Terrence to confront the bishop.
- Terrence want to meet the bishop to kill him…
- No, he mustn't do that, otherwise their curse will last forever… he…
Noises from horses were heard, it came from outside the castle. The bishop's guards had arrived…
- What do you want? Asked Monk Martin by a little hole which once was a window.
- Let us in, in the name of the bishop! Yelled Daniel.
- Get away from here! Said Monk Martin.
- It's an order from the bishop! Said Daniel, open, now!
Monk Martin let the bridge down to let them in and enter his castle in ruins. There was a little bridge suspended which he let down, making the guards fall. The soldiers were upset and stood up and continued their way.
- This way, said the monk showing another bridge leading to another aisle for the castle
A soldier came near and the bridge collapse making him fall in the water.
- Look on your left! Said Monk Martin smiling.
He turned around and got a blow to the head and fainted.
Meanwhile, Cook went to get Candy who was still recuperating… she was sleeping peacefully.
- Milady, milady, he said moving her, come with me, quick!
Despite the pain on her shoulder, Candy stood up and Cook made her climb the stairs, taking her on the top of the castle… The guards came and saw them climb the tower and started following them. Cook and Candy went as fast as they could. Candy despite her pain continued without whining. They got on the top of the tower… Cook managed to push back a few guards who were getting too close on the stairs. The trap from which the got out had a lock, Cook sat on it to delay them, while Candy was resting a little, out of breath. The guards forced the trap and Cook fell and sat back on it again. He was still on the trap, he managed to close it finally, when there was an accident: as he finally managed to close the trap, he pushed Candy overboard, he caught her just in time, Candy cried of pain, her right arms couldn't hold for long, she let go, she was now holding herself with her left arm, terrified… Cook did everything he could to lift her up, but he couldn't …and gravity was not helping. Candy's hand was slipping away… Candy was horrified, she was going to die crushed? Cook didn't want to let go of Candy, but he had no choice, their hands where slipping… and the unavoidable happened, he let go of Candy who cried of horror falling down, but at the same moment, the sun rose, transforming Candy into a falcon, her cry became the cry of the falcon, who started to fly away immediately, saving the life of the young woman.
Cook had a sigh of relief. He looked at the sun, amazed, smiling. He looked at the falcon flying. This curse had saved Candy's life. He heard the trap opening and one of the guards climb. He managed to get out of the tower by a hole caused by the ruins of the castle and sad on an eagle head, falling in ruins.
- You! Where's the woman? Asked the guard.
- She flew away.
- Where is she?
- She flew away!
An arrow stopped him from talking and he fell to his death… Cook was surprised. Then he saw Trrence from afar with his crossbow standing on a rock in front of the tower. He smiled to him and signed him with his hand.
- You must always tell the truth. Thank you God, now I understand… said Cook to himself.
Terrence was back with his faithful falcon. He saw Monk Martin, who had regained consciousness after Daniel and his guards left.
- I thought you were dead, old man, said Terrence, there was a time I wanted to kill you myself. But I'm very grateful to you for this, he added showing the falcon by lifting his left arm.
- No, I'm the one who is grateful, for having a chance to redeem myself, said Monk martin approaching him, to save you and Candice. Because God told me how the curse could be broken
- You've betrayed us once, I'm warning you…
- In three days, the bishop is going to hear the confession of the clergy in the cathedral of Lakewood. All you have to do, is confront him, both of you in your human form…as a man and a woman...
Terrence looked at him a little surprised and the falcon on his arm cried, like it was astonished by the monk's words.
- And the curse will be broken, continued Monk Martin, and you two are going to be free!
- That's impossible, said Terrence looking at him coldly.
- As long as there's a day and a night, it is impossible. But in 3 days, in Lakewood, there's going to be a day without a night and night without a day.
Cook was hiding behind a rock listening. Terrence was skeptical and he said.
- Go back inside, old man, go back to your booze.
The monk got angry.
- You think I'm drunk? He said indignant, I swear to you! God showed me! He forgave me!
- He hasn't forgiven you, said Terrence coldly, he made you crazy…
Monk Martin was discouraged by those cold and mean words and took a step back.
Cook came out of his hiding place, running.
- Sir, sir!
He ran towards Terry and the monk. He got near the monk and stopped.
- It's going to be ok, father, he said.
He continued his way to Terrence who was riding away on his horse with his faithful falcon.
- Sir, said Cook, catching up with him, Sir!
Terrence stopped and looked at him.
- How is your shoulder?
- I owe you one, said Terrence
- You owe me one, sir? No, you don't, said Cook looking down.
Then he lift his head and looked at Terrence.
- She asked me to give you a message: she still has hope, she believes in you…
Terrence looked at him.
- You're free to go.
- I know sir…
- You do what you want.
- All right, said Cook, so, you and Ladyhawke are going to Lakewood?
- Ladyhawke? Said Terrence a little stunned, as a matter of fact.
- Well, I happen to be going in that direction…
- Really? Said Terrence, so go get your stuff, because I'm leaving now.
- All right, said Cook, going to get his belongings.
Terrence looked at he falcon with love.
- Ladyhawke, he said smiling.
Cook gathered his stuff quickly.
- I'm leaving with Captain Terrence, he said to Monk Martin.
The monk didn't reply and looked at him go.
Cook ran behind Terrence and his horse and he was talking:
- Sir, said Cook, if the monk is telling the truth, if Candice and you could confront the bishop together, as a man and a woman…
- You're not going to talk about that nonsense! Not to me or to her! Said Terrence, did you get it?
Cook didn't reply. Nonsense? He was transforming himself into a wolf at sunset and his beloved was a falcon during the day and thought that the monk's suggestion was nonsense? This whole story was nonsense…