“Always together… eternally apart”
The next day, Cook and Terrence were on the road again. Cook couldn’t stop talking about what happened the night before.
- You might not believe me, but there was this woman, with beautiful green eyes and her voice…
- She talked? Asked Terrence
- Yes… I asked her if I was dreaming, she said ; “as a matter of fact, you are”
- Did she tell you her name?
Terrence was with a falcon. The same falcon which was following him yesterday… he probably tamed the bird…
- No… why do you want to know her name?
- So if she comes in my dreams, I could call her by her name… and pretend that we’ve met before… I’ve waited all my life for a woman like that
He was looking at the falcon while he was saying that.
- You’re very funny when you want to
- I believe in dream, don’t you? Get some rests, the road is long, let’s take a nap…
Meanwhile, Captain Daniel, the chief of the guards arrived at the monetary where bishop Albert of Lakewood lived. This last one was looking at young girls dancing for him.
- Your grace! Said Daniel
- Did you catch the prisoner?
- Not yet, your grace…
- So why have you darkened my door step, dirty and without shaving? Do you think you were going to find him here?
- Captain Grandchester is back…
Bishop Albert stopped and looked at him. He stood up.
- Let’s go for a walk…
They started walking in the hallways of the monetary.
- Was he with the falcon?
- The what?
- The falcon… make sure nothing happens to it. The day that falcon dies, will be the day of your execution. Times are difficult… I’ve raised the taxes to have more money, but they tell me because of hunger, there’s nothing, we can’t charge taxes on nothing… I had a dream in which God revealed to me that the devil’s messenger was among us and his name was Terrence Grandchester! Now, you know your mission!
He held out his hand and Daniel leaned to kiss his ring… And he turned around to leave.
- Call George for me! He yelled at his subjects
Cook was cutting wood with Terrence’s sword, who came and took it away.
- This sword has been in my family for generations, he said, those are my family’s coat of arms and this represents our alliance with the Saint Church of Rome and this was my father’s… this here came from the crusades, every generation had a mission…
- And what is your mission?
- To kill a man
- Ok, right and who’s the walking dead
- His grace of Lakewood
- Bishop Albert?
- Well, you have a lot to do, so I’m not going to disturb you…I hope our roads would cross again one day…
- I need you to take me to Lakewood
- No way!
- You were able to escape the dungeons of Lakewood
- That was pure chance… I fell in a hole and I found myself with my nose in the water
- I’ve waited almost 2 years for a sign from God… Yesterday, when I heard the bells of Lakewood chimes, I knew that my prayers were answered. You’re the angel who is going to guide me to the bishop
- Captain, I talk to God all the time and no offense, but he never told me about you… and there are voices unknown and creepy that surrounds you… you saved my life and I will never be able to pay you back for that…and I don’t think you’re going to kill me either… But I’d rather take the risk than to go back to Lakewood…
He started walking and Terry threw his sword which planted itself on the tree right next to Cook, who turned around.
- I’m going to go get some wood for the fire, he said walking away…
It was dark and Cook was tied up to a tree. He saw the young woman running after a rabbit.
- Miss? Milady? Over here, he said
She was dressed differently. She was wearing a white dress with a belt on her waist.
- What are you doing there, tied up?
- The guards came and they tied me up…
- So why didn’t they kill you?
- They said they wanted to leave that honor to the bishop…please, untie me
His voice was begging. She insisted, but she ended up giving in…
- Thank you very much milady, he said, happy when he but the ropes on his fists…
She barely had the time to turn around, when Cook disappeared.
- Oh no, she whispered, the rascal! He’s going to kill me…
The next day, the falcon went on its master, who was riding a horse.
- Hello, he said with a soft voice, let’s go get Cookie…
Cookie was on a hill, looking at Terrence from afar, when Daniel and his men caught him.
- There’s our little mouse, said Daniel smiling
- Sirs, said Cook, I was just passing by…
- Where is Grandchester?
- The man with the falcon…
- Oh him? He was walking towards the north, towards Lakewood…
- So we’re going south, said Daniel to his men
- I told the truth Lord and they don’t want to believe me, said Cook looking at the sky
They tied up Cook and took him with them to find Terrence and his falcon. They had a trap for him and there was a fight with arrows and crossbows. Cook managed to escape and threw big rock at the soldier’s head, Terrence was hit and an arrow accidentally got the falcon who fell screaming loud.
- NO!!!!!!!! Yelled Terrence
Once the fight was over, the soldiers were gone, he ran to the falcon that was still alive.
- Bring me a piece of cloth!
Cook looked in the bag on Goliath and he found a piece of cloth and gave it to Terry who wrapped the wounded bird, gently.
- You have to go get some help…
- Me? Said Cook
- Take my horse
- He only obeys you!
- Go to the next village with her, you’ll find a castle in ruins, inside you’ll find a monk named Martin… he’ll be able to heal her…
- There’s no time to lose!
Terrence fixed his horse, put Cook on it and gave him the wounded falcon that still had the arrow in her…
- If you fail, I’m going to look for you and kill you, if it’s the last thing I do… now go!
He hit his horse on the behind and the horse ran out of there… Terrence stayed there and looked at them go. He kneeled. He didn’t know quite what to do, so he started praying.
Cook was riding with the falcon in his arms. He finally arrived at the castle in ruins, on the hill.
- Hello? Anybody there?
- What do you want? Asked the hoarse voice of a man
- I brought you a bird… a wounded bird
- Come in, so we can eat it! He said
- No, it’s not for eat, it’s not an ordinary bird… it belongs to Captain Terrence Grandchester
- Oh… come in quickly! Said the man
The man had grey hair, he seemed to have had too much to drink… or he really loved alcohol… Cook got down the horse and climbed the hill to the castle. The Monk Martin, that was his name, opened the door and asked Cook to put the bird gently on the table.
- Easy, he said, now get out please
Cook got out. Monk Martin approached the falcon.
- We’ll have to wait until nightfall. In the mean time, I’m going to get some healing herbs…
He got out of the room and locked the door behind him and went down the hill to get the herbs…
Cook was curious, forced the lock and got in the room thinking he would find the bird; only to find the young girl with the arrow in her… she was naked under the cover.
- Oh excuse me milady…
- Terrence, she said
- He’s fine, said Cook, there was a big fight, but you already know that right?
Cook’s head was spinning. The bird had an arrow in her, now the woman had the arrow in her…
- Yes, she said
- Are you flesh or spirit?
The young woman was lying there and she was in pain. She closed her eyes. Monk Martin arrived with his herbs.
- But how…? He started
He looked at the woman asleep naked under her cover.
- Get out now! He said pushing Cook outside and this time, stay out!!!
He closed the door behind him and went to work with his herbs to heal the woman. He put some kind of green paste around the arrow which was just above her breast on the left side. He wanted her to close her eyes by putting his hand on them, but she said:
- Are you ready?
At the same time, Bishop Albert was having a nightmare and he had cold sweat...
Monk Martin pulled on the arrow, to get it out of the flesh; the young woman scream loud of pain… she screamed so loud, the wolf heard her in the night and started howling.
Bishop Albert was startled in his bed, he had heard the cry and someone was knocking at his door…
- Your Grace, George is here…
Cook was outside with Monk Martin sitting by the fire. The howling of the wolf was heard.
- It’s him, isn’t it? Asked Cook
- The wolf, it’s him. I don’t know how…
- What are you saying?
- Earlier, you were drunk and you started talking…
- Her name is Candice White, her father was a count and he was killed in an accident. She was taken in by the monetary under the wing of the bishop. She was so beautiful, so full of life… her face was like…
- The face of love, said Cook
Monk Martin looked at him. He was hooked on her too.
- I think we were all in love with her… The bishop also fell in love with her…
- The bishop, but… he’s a man of God!
- He’s an evil man you mean! He’s diabolical… he was writing her every day, but she wouldn’t have it, she would send back all his letters unopened. You see, her heart was already taken by the captain of the guards, Terrence Grandchester… who loved her back. Their love was growing day after day … the bishop didn’t know about it… until the day when…
He stopped talking and looked at his empty cup. Cook took the jug and pours some more wine for him.
- Until the day when…?
- Until the day when they were betrayed by a stupid priest where they had confessed themselves to… who was drunk and told everything to bishop Albert, who became very angry… If he couldn’t have Candice, nobody would have her… Terrence and Candice ran away, to go live far from Lakewood. The bishop call upon the enemy to have the power to get his revenge, he denied God and turned to the dark side which allowed him to curse our lovers… From the bowels of hell, a awful curse came; In day time, Candice is the beautiful bird you brought me in the evening, and like you guessed, Terrence is the wolf… they have no memory of their human form, they see each other during the transformation for a few seconds without being able to touch each other, for a few seconds…
- “Always together, eternally apart”, said Cook
- As long as the sun rises and sets… as long as there’s a day and a night, as long as they both shall live…
The howling of the wolf was heard.
- You stumbled upon this tragic story little one and now whether you want it or not, you’re going to lose yourself in it, like all of us…