by Mallory Quinn
Cook was in the donjons underground escaping from a prison in which he was put in for stealing. He had sticky hands and spent most of his times stealing. He was condemned to 10 years of prison. But our dear Cook had no intentions to stay in prison for 10 years; he had to get out of there. He snuck in the sewers and after a lot of trouble, he found the hole of an old well and he started to climb up and managed to get out. The guards were probably going to be behind him, so he had to disappear. He borrows some clothes passing by a house and some boots hanging on a rope… The weather wasn’t very nice. Cook needed to disappear at one.
Meanwhile, the bishop Albert has just finished his mass. His solicitor came to see him…
- Your grace, a prisoner escaped from the dungeon.
- Well find him!
- He won’t go far, it’s going to be a miracle if he manages to escape from the dungeons.
- I believe in miracle, it’s part of who I am… Find him!
- Very well Your Grace, I’m going to give the order to the guards to start the search
The bishop walked to his office where the best bourbon for the area was waiting for him. The prisoners shouldn’t be escaping; otherwise they would laugh at him and his infallible reputation. You had to be a mouse to escape the dungeons and he didn’t know that Cook was exactly that, a little stealing mouse and nosy, its little paws had taken him far from the dungeon.
Cook arrived in a village in the beginning to the afternoon. Unfortunately he met the bishop’s soldiers…
- Give yourself in, said one of the soldiers; it would be easier for you, even if I’m wondering how you managed to escape out of the prison…
- You'd have to catch me first, said Cook running away
And they ran after him. Cook managed to slip away from them for a moment, he was very smart, so it worked for a while, but he got caught eventually. The soldiers chief, named Daniel, approached him.
- What did you think? You little sewer mouse, we caught you… you’re coming back to the dungeon! Even if I want to kill you…
He had got his sword out while saying that… and he approached Cook’s face… An arrow coming from nowhere touched the sword and made it fall on the ground. Everybody turned around.
- Terrence! They all yelled, he’s back!
Dressed in black, the young man took his sword and put his crossbow aside. One of the soldiers saw him and was happy…
- Captain Terrence, he said smiling
Daniel was angry and pushed the soldier who fell on Terrence’s sword before he could make a move. The poor soldier was dead. Terrence was upset and started to fight, with his sword, freed Cook, gave him the crossbow and told him to leave. No need to tell him twice, Cook left… Terrence continued fighting until won against the soldiers; he jumped on his horse, dark as night and left. He caught up with Cook who was walking pretty fast. Cook was trying to run when he saw a horse behind him, but Terrence caught him and put him on his horse, like a back of merchandise…
- Hey, easy! What do you take me for? A bag of flour?
- I didn’t save you so you could run away…
- Why then?
- I don’t like the way those soldiers do their business… and I need your help
They rode for a moment and they got to a barn which seemed abandoned. Terrence put Cook down… and he got off himself. There were two men looking at them.
- You can use the little cabin behind, said one of the men
- Thank you, said Terrence.
He gave Cook the reins.
- Here, take care of the horse…
- What’s her name?
- His name is Goliath…you have to feed him and give him water. Then you go get some wood to make a fire…
- Goliath? Said Cook taking the reins, let’s go, I have a story to tell, about a teen like me, called David…
Terrence looked at them go. It was almost time, the sun was going to set soon and his ordeal was going to start for the night… he had a bag made of tissue which he opened and got a green scarf out, he put it under his nose and he looked at the sun set.
- One day, he whispered softly
Cook put the horse in the barn after he had fed him and gave him water. When he got out of the barn, it was dark and he went to get some woof for the firer and he was fuming.
- Because he saved my life, he thinks I’m his help… go feed my horse; go get some wood for the fire… and then what?
He threw the wood on the ground angry.
- I’m not his butler!
He heard a grunt in the woods where he was. He decided to go back to the cabin… he walked towards the cabin and a man with a hood wanted to cut off his head a wolf arrived to attack the man with the hood. Cook got afraid and he ran to the cabin.
- Sir, sir! There’s a wolf! Sir!
But the cabin was empty… where was Terrence? He saw the crossbow against the wall and he took it and aimed at the wolf. He was charging the arrow it was harder than he thought. He managed to do it and he was about to shoot when a hand took the arrow. He turned around and he saw a pair of green eyes looking at him. She was wearing a hood. She walked to the door to get out.
- No wait! Don’t go out! There’s a dangerous and ferocious wolf outside! A very big wolf and a dead man too…
- I know…
But she continued her way and the wolf walked to her. She leaned to caress it. She wasn’t afraid of it. Cook didn’t get it, the wolf was not hurting the woman, and it was like it liked her.
- I don’t get it! I must be dreaming. How could a savage beast be so nice with her? I’m going to go to bed. She doesn’t need me and I don’t know where Terrence is… I’m going to sleep, because I’m sure I’m dreaming
- As a matter of fact, you are! She said from afar
He went to bed in a corner of the cabin and he covered himself with an old blanket.
The young woman was walking around with the wolf and talking to it. It seemed to be listening to her. She walked with him and then she returned to the cabin to sleep. She slept, the wolf cuddled up against her…