Juliet Of My Heart
by Mallory Quinn
“Emerald, like your eyes”
The boat arrived in New York at the harbour. It was full of
people wanting to start a new life in America. They all had dreams of a better
life, of a lucky life where they were going to make a fortune and become
One young boy was among them, thinking about the life he left behind…A life of hell on earth. He lived in London, but he was in boarding school just to get away from his family. His father the duke and his stepmother couldn’t get along with him… the kids his brother and sisters were younger and they couldn’t do much. He had finally had the courage of leaving everything, because he had had enough. He was going to pursue his dream of becoming an actor. Broadway was going to be the best place for him to start. He also thought about his mother. She had rejected him when he came to see her last winter and he went back to hell on earth. He also went back to boarding school, because at least he had some friends there and he could act out to get his father’s attention. But he had had enough and he left college to follow his dream to be an actor. New York… he was up for a fresh start.
“New York, here I come!!!!” He said in his head.
He got off and after all the formalities which took forever, he was out in the street. By the harbour he found a bank and he was able to access his account. Since he was planning his trip for a while, he made sure he opened an account in another bank which was doing business with a bank in New York so he could access his money the first days. Only enough until he could provide for himself by finding a job. He went to the bank to get a little money. He went outside and he bought the paper to look for a place to rent. He was walking around and he found himself in an alley. Some guys surrounded him…
- Hey look at this pretty boy! Said one
- Let’s get him! Said another one
- Wait! Said their boss, let me take a look at him…
He looked at Terry who was still trying to see what was going on… They looked at each other…
- But…, said the boss, wait, I know this guy Terry! Is that you?
Terry looked at him and then he smiled.
- Charlie! He said, how are you? Said Terry
They hugged. Charlie’s friends were a little surprised. Their boss knew that pretty rich boy?
- I’m fine! Said Charlie, look at you you’re the perfect little rich boy!
- And what about you, what’s up with the gang?
- Oh… it’s just a hobby… let’s go and catch up, I work in a bar…
- All right, I’m up for a drink with my old friend…
Charlie took Terry’s bag and they walked to the bar together. Charlie’s shift was about to start so he went to change… Terry sat at the bar and he ordered a soda. Charlie came out at the bar wearing his uniform. Terry looked at him.
- A soda, said Charlie? That’s all you’re ordering?
- I need to keep my head clear buddy… I just came off the boat from England…
- And you came to America to make a fortune!
- I left school to pursue my dream....
- And what dream is that?
- I want to become an actor….
- An actor? I thought you little rich boys already have your own money…
- I just want to make it on my own
- The world is never happy… the rich wants to be poor and the poor want to be rich…
They burst out laughing.
- You know, said Terry, the uniform you’re wearing looks a lot like the one I wore in boarding school…
- Yes, Royal College of St. Paul, in London…
- Never been there! Said Charlie, it’s good to know that they’ve got nothing I envy…!
They burst out laughing again. They had been friends since they were little. Charlie was like a big brother to Terry, he always protected him. But he still had his real bad boy attitude…He was still part of a gang…
- Charlie, I wish you were with me in that school, we would’ve had so much fun…
- With girls? Said Charlie smiling
Terry’s look became a little dreamy…
- Was there a girl you liked over there? Said Charlie looking at him
- I had a very good friend…that’s all
- A very good friend? Did you go to her room at night?
- No… it was forbidden…
- Of course it was forbidden! That’s why it would’ve been fun! Said Charlie
- Well, said Terry, I was acting out, smoking, sneaking out to drink…
- All alone? You must’ve been bored…
- I didn’t really want to get anyone else in trouble…My father could give money to the school so they would keep me, but the others…
- That’s my Terry, no matter how though you act, you’re still a big softy inside…
- Don’t let the girls know that! Whispered Terry
- Don’t let the girls know what? Said a girl arriving
She had her hair in a ponytail; she was wearing pants and a white and red shirt.
- Sandra! Said Charlie smiling
- Hey Charlie! Said Sandra, who’s the pretty boy?
- The name is Terry, said the pretty boy smiling
- Pleased to meet you! Said Sandra smiling back at him
- Terry and I used to play when we were little
- He protected me, said Terry, and I will be in your debt forever for that buddy
- I’ll take you up on that
- You can come to me, any day, Charlie, no matter what…
- It’s good to know, said Charlie
They laughed again. They talked and they had a lot of fun. While Charlie was working, Terry was looking in the paper for places to rent. If he was lucky, he might not need to go to a hotel…
Terry had lunch with Charlie and Sandra and then he had to go and take a look for a place to stay.
- You’re leaving already? Said Charlie
- I have to put a roof over my head, said Terry
- You can live with us, if you don’t find anything, said Charlie
- Thank you very much for the offer, Charlie, but I think I can find something right away… But I’ll come and see you and tell you where I live…
- All right Terry…
- Charlie, I know I’m just a little brother to you… but… I wouldn’t be your friend if I don’t tell you that your “hobby” is going to bring you nothing but trouble…
- I heard you Terry..., said Charlie
- Sandra, it was nice to meet you…, said Terry
- It was very nice to meet you too, said Sandra, and I love your English accent…
- I like the American accent too, said Terry with the American accent
- Not bad, said Sandra smiling
- Well you’re going to be a pro at the theatre, said Charlie, I’m sure of it!
- I hope so said Terry smiling
- I don’t do theatre, but I will definitely come to see my little brother! Said Charlie smiling
- I’ll send you an invitation when I get my first lead role!
- I would be happy to come, said Sandra, and if my father is here, maybe I can bring him. He’s the captain of a merchant ship, he’s always away…
- I’m sorry about that, said Terry, you must miss him a lot!
- Yes I do…
- I know how you feel, said Terry with sad eyes
- I hope you find what you’re looking for…, said Sandra. Do you have a girlfriend?
Terry remained silent again. Did he have a girlfriend? He had left her behind…She was a very good friend… they had some good times together…but.
- I have a very good friend, said Terry
- Are you going to marry her? Asked Sandra? What are your plans?
- It was nothing like that. We were just friends…, said Terry
- Could it turn into something else in the future? Said Sandra, do you love her?
- I like her, she’s a very good friend…
- There’s the “friend” word again…, said Sandra, you’re not in love with her…
- Well I like her a lot…
- Is she the first thing you think about when you wake up and the last thing you think about when you fall asleep?
- Not really, why?
- Then, she’s just your friend…you’re not in love with her
- Come on Sandra, it doesn’t mean anything, said Charlie
- It sure does! Said Sandra, that’s what I want my man to feel when I get one. I want to be the first thing on his mind…
- You read too many romance novels! Said Charlie laughing
- You should read some, said Sandra a little upset, you could learn a thing or two…
- In a romance novel? You’ve got to be kidding ! Said Charlie laughing
Terry looked at the scene and he saw that Sandra had a thing for Charlie, but his friend was blind!
- There are man in those novels, said Sandra
- Yes, man in love! Said Charlie laughing, not my cup of tea!
Sandra was upset. She turned to Terry.
- Well I hope you behave better with the girls than this lout! Good luck Terry. Don’t be a stranger…
She hugged him, and he hugged her back.
- Thank you Sandra.
Sandra left without a look for Charlie. Terry looked at his friend and he shook his head.
- Charlie… I have to go. You’ve got a good girl there, she likes you, said Terry
- No, she hang out with me to get on her father’s nerves…, said Charlie
- It might have started that way, but I think she developed a crush on you… anyway, I have to go. I’ll come and tell you where I live…
- Don’t forget, my invitation is still open, if you want a place to stay in the mean time. Don’t spend your money in hotels…
- Thanks buddy, said Terry smiling.
Terry went to look for an apartment. He looked at several of them. They were all really nice. But he was also looking for closeness to Broadway Street. After looking for the whole afternoon, he finally found one not too far from Broadway and not too expensive. A lot of young actors lived there. The owner was used to help them and she gave her apartment a little cheap. They all moved when they hit it big… She smiled when she saw Terry.
- I love your accent, she said, you want an apartment?
- Yes, I came for the ad in the paper… top floor…
- Yes, the top floor, it’s got one bathroom, one bed room, a kitchen…
- May I see it?
- Of course.
He followed the owner to the top of the stairs to the nice little cosy apartment.
- Here it is…
The living room was nice with a couch and a armchair, there was a table with 4 chair serving as a dining room. There was the kitchen, all in white with a stove, a fridge and a window with white curtains. The bedroom had a double bed, a closet, a chest and two night tables, with little lamps. The bathroom had a bath tub and a shower on top and some shower curtains, there was a sink with a mirror, and a toilet…
It felt good and warm to Terry so he decided to take it.
- I like it! I’ll take it! Said Terry
- Do you have enough to pay for the last month? I give my first month free…
- That’s really nice of you
- I just want to help those young struggling actors…
- Well God bless you, said Terry, I’ll send you a front seat ticket when I get the lead role!
- That would be nice of you, but most actors forget about me once they hit it big…
- I won’t, said Terry. Believe me…
He smiled at her.
- Thank you, she said, I’m Millie Winters…
- Pleased to meet you Mrs. Winters…my name is Terrence Grandchester…
- Terrence Grandchester, that’s a beautiful name if I’ve heard one! I’m going to be your first fan!
“I’m going to be your first fan! You’re going to be a great actor…” he heard in his head
Mrs. Winters gave her the key to the apartment.
- I will come and give you the lease later, said Mrs. Winters
- Thank you so much, said Terry. I just got off the boat this morning and I haven’t had time to rest
- And the apartment is clean, I make sure it everyday… and I can come and clean up if you want for a fee…
- Thank you, I will let you know…, said Terry smiling
- Welcome to my humble building, said Mrs. Winters smiling
- Thank you, said Terry.
- I’m going to bring you some sheets and towels for tonight until you can get your own…
- You don’t have to do that…
- I know I don’t, but I like you…, she said with a smile, and like I said, I just love your accent!
Mrs. Winters left the apartment. Terry went to the bedroom to put his clothes in the closet. He wanted to rest a little. The paper didn’t have much work at the theatres. It was almost the holiday season, most theatres were booked for the holidays. He wanted to look for a job after the holidays anyway. So in the mean time, since he had some time, he decided to go and visit a place near Lakewood. The Pony Home…that’s where she had lived…
It took him a few days to get installed in his apartment. He had to shop for everything. For food, for dishes, pots and pans, utensils, detergents, towels for the kitchen. He also got some sheets and blankets, towels soap, shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste etc. He was happy to be free, he was happy he didn’t have to answer to anyone, for the first time in his life. So he did whatever he wanted, not that he didn’t before, but the feeling to know he was free was a little overwhelming.
He finally took his trip to Lakewood and he went to the Pony Hill his friend had described to him. He even went inside the Pony House and they gave him a cup of tea. Then went on the hill again for a little while. He wanted to know how it felt to be in a place where she grew up so happy and carefree…
He took the train back to New York and he did several stops on his way, to visit some other towns and their theatres. By the time he went back to New York, it was almost Christmas and it was snowing. He thought about his mother… should he go to her… He was tempted, but then he decided against it. He wanted to enjoy his freedom a little more…His father probably contacted his mother by then, he was probably looking for him like crazy. So he spent Christmas alone. He was smoking in his apartment alone. The owner came to get him for Christmas diner.
- Terrence come over, said Mrs. Winters
- I wouldn’t want to disturb you…
- Nonsense! The others tenants are coming and we’re going to eat Christmas dinner. The turkey I baked is way to big for just my little family…Nobody should be alone at Christmas…especially not my favourite future Broadway star!
Terry smiled. It was good to have Mrs. Miller so nice to him. He decided to accept her invitation.
- All right! Said Terry, putting his cigarette in the ashier…
- Great! Let’s go!
They went to the apartment and the other tenants who had no plans were there. Terry had a good time with his fellow tenants. He actually had more fun than he ever had in his father’s castle with his stepmother and her children. They were all actors struggling to get a job, waiting for Christmas to pass so they could start looking for a job. Most of them didn’t have two dimes to rub together, but they were happy to celebrate Christmas with their friends. They ate, they drank and they sang Christmas carols until late at night. Terry stay to help clean up and he went back to his apartment.
He bought the paper after Christmas to start looking for a job. There was a lot of turnover over the holidays and some theatres were looking for new actors… living near Broadway was great for an actor looking for work. Some of his fellow tenants had found something. Terry was still looking .
On December 31st in the morning, he got out to look for a job. It was the last day of the year, maybe he was going to be lucky. It was snowing outside, big snow flakes falling slowly on New York City. The weather was kind of mild when it snowed. He arrived in front of the theatre back door, which had a sign that said they were looking for actors. It said so in the paper also, so he rang the door bell. A few moments later, the door opened and a young blond girl was standing in front of him, looking at him with a smile. She was wearing a beautiful turquoise dress and her hair was down. It was very long and wavy, and she had the most beautiful green eyes he had ever seen. They were green like emeralds. She had a beautiful nose with freckles on them. She had a light make up on…and Terry thought she was the most beautiful girl he had ever seen. He was speechless for a second. They looked at each other. He looked into her eyes and he saw his soul mate…
“Those are the most beautiful eyes I have ever seen, just like emeralds” He thought in his head
The young girl opened the door and she saw a young man about her age with long brown hair and big blue-green eyes. He was wearing a blue cape over his black suit. He looked very confident. She looked into his eyes and she saw her soul mate…
“Oh my God, I can’t stop looking at his eyes! They’re so beautiful…” Said the young girl in her head
They stared at each other for a while and then the young girl finally spoke.
- Yes, can I help you with something, sir? She said with a voice Terry thought was the sweetest
He was still looking at her. He had to reply. He wanted to continue staring at her but he had to say something.
- Yes, he finally said, I would like to audition for a role, it says on the door you’re looking for actors…
The young girl’s face was illuminated by a beautiful shining smile. Terry was even more amazed in front of her smile.
- Oh… right! I forgot about the auditions today! It’s New Year’s Eve, we’re having a party here today, but come on in!
- Thank you, Miss…
He wanted to know the name of this beautiful girl he in had in front of him…
- Candice Belle Bateman, she said smiling and giving him her right hand
- I’m pleased to meet you, Miss Bateman, my name is Terrence Graham Grandchester, he said taking her delicate little hand
He was wondering what was going on, with him. He felt a little flushed and a sort of hot flash…!
- I’m pleased to meet you, Master Grandchester, said Candice
- You’ve got a very beautiful name…
- Thank you, said Candice, I’m going to take you on stage.
- All right…
Candice walked and Terry was behind her. His heart was racing. He was very nervous. He was afraid he was going to mess up his lines…Like she read his mind she said.
- Don’t worry about remembering your lines, Mr. Hathaway puts people at ease and make them read for their first interview…He knows we’re nervous enough as it is…
- Oh, that’s good…
They arrived on stage. The seats in the audience were empty.
- I’m going to go get Mr. Hathaway in his office, said Candice, wait over here…
- Thank you Miss Bateman, said Terry smiling
Candice left. Terry was on stage and he felt a little overwhelmed. Was it the fact he was on a theatre stage after dreaming about it for so long? Or was it because of a beautiful little blonde girl he couldn’t stop thinking about? The light were on, the empty room still felt impressive. He imagined it with a lot of people cheering for him.
Candice came back on stage. There were some papers she took from a little table on stage, with some script for the aspiring actors to read.
- Mr. Hathaway and his partners will be here in a few minutes…, said Candice, are you ok?
- It’s my first audition, said Terry
- I can see… don’t worry everything is going to be fine…
For some reason, hearing that from her, made him feel so much better. He had never felt like that before, he had felt good in his life but not with the sensation of peace this young girl brought out in him.
She was smiling at him, and she felt like she had butterflies in her stomach. She was nervous for him… why on earth would she be nervous for a total stranger who came for an audition?
“What the hell is going on? She said in her head, why am I feeling like this? I have to get out of here… this guy is making me feel weird…”
She wanted to stay, and she wanted to leave at the same time. Robert Hathaway walked in the auditorium with his associates. And they sat down.
- Here they are, said Candice smiling, I’m going to let you with your audition
- Oh…, said Terry who seemed to be dreaming, thank you again
- You’re very welcome, she said smiling
She was walking off the stage, when…
- Candice, said Robert Hathaway, where are you going?
- I’m going back to the room and get the stuff for the party ready…, said Candice
- I need you to read with him…, said Hathaway
Robert Hathaway had come into the auditorium and he saw the two people on stage and he felt a very rare chemistry, unlike anything he had ever seen before. So he looked at that young man with Candice and he knew he had stuck gold with the unsuspected couple.
Candice was surprised. Usually Robert wanted to listen to the actors do monologues and they would eventually read the other parts if they want a dialogue.
- Why? Said Candice, I thought you did it…
- Well since you’re here, said Robert, I want you to read with him…
Candice couldn’t miss an opportunity to show her acting talent to Robert Hathaway.
- All right, said Candice, which part would you want me to do?
- How about the first scene with “Romeo and Juliet”
Candice looked at him stunned.
- From the kiss? She asked
- That his their first encounter, said Hathaway, you can start with standing across the stage from each other…then he kisses her twice…
Terry was listening and he couldn’t believe what he was hearing! The first scene of Romeo and Juliet together??? He had to kiss Candice… twice!!!!
Candice didn’t know what to think. It was only for the stage, she had to kiss a perfect stranger… well she did know his name… but… still…She complied with mixed feelings.
They looked at each other and they acted infatuated with each other… They walked towards each other. They looked at each other and then Terry leaned to kiss her…he felt like he had just touched fire, he had the warmth sensation, a good one without the burn… but he was burning up inside.
Candice had had theatre kisses before and she never did it with her tongue. It felt like a static shock when her lips met Terry’s the first time. They stopped. They looked at each other again and he kissed her, this time she opened her mouth and she felt his tongue and hers caressing each other.
Robert and his associates were looking at the scene stunned, they couldn’t believe how well they clashed together not to mention the chemistry…
- It’s a pity we’re not auditioning for Romeo and Juliet yet, said Robert, we would’ve found our couple in the first audition!
- They have great chemistry, said Wayne Murphy his partner, that guy silent acting is wonderful…
- I can’t wait to hear them in the dialogue, said Peter Berg, the other one
- They are taking their time with that kiss, said Wayne
- They’re enjoying it too much, said Hathaway smiling
Candice and Terry finally got to the dialogue part;
[To JULIET] If I profane with my unworthiest hand
This holy shrine, the gentle fine is this:
My lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand
To smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss.
Good pilgrim, you do wrong your hand too much,
Which mannerly devotion shows in this;
For saints have hands that pilgrims' hands do touch,
And palm to palm is holy palmers' kiss.
Have not saints lips, and holy palmers too?
Ay, pilgrim, lips that they must use in prayer.
O, then, dear saint, let lips do what hands do;
They pray, grant thou, lest faith turn to despair.
Saints do not move, though grant for prayers' sake.
Then move not, while my prayer's effect I take.
Thus from my lips, by yours, my sin is purged.
Then have my lips the sin that they have took.
Sin from thy lips? O trespass sweetly urged!
Give me my sin again.
You kiss by the book.
Hathaway stopped them, they were perfect for each other.
- All right, that was beautiful! You’re hired young man… I’m sorry I didn’t get your name…
Candy and Terry were sorry the audition was over, they really like being together on that scene. And that kiss…
- Terrence Grandchester sir, he said
- Well Terrence, welcome to the Stratford Troupe!
- Thank you very much sir, he said
- Congratulations, said Candice smiling
- Thank you, said Terry looking at her, thank you for doing the scene with me…
- It was my pleasure, she said smiling, I’m glad I could help…
Hathaway looked at them… even in normal dialogue they had chemistry!
- Candice, show him his changing room, said Robert and Terrence we’re having a New Year’s Eve party for lunch, if you want to stay…
- I’d be delighted to, sir, said Terry smiling
- Very well then, I’ll see you guys later! Said Robert
Candice and Terry left the scene to go to his new changing room, he was going to share with other male actors…
- This is your changing room, said Candice, there are other guys here too. But I think they’re in the party room…
- All right, said Terry
- And I’m going to take you to the party room, we’re having a short day for the New Year…
They arrived in the party room, there were actors, actresses, costumers, make up artists, technicians, producer, even the cleaning staff was there.
- Everybody, said Candice, this is the new addition to our family, Terrence Grandchester…
- Hello, said Terrence
- Hello, said everybody
Terry stayed near Candice.
- Are you going to be ok? She said
- Yes, said Terry
- All right, I’m going to go talk to my colleagues there…
- Miss Bateman…
- You can call me Candy, Master Grandchester
- All right Candy and you can call me Terry…
- Ok Terry…
- If I need anything, can I come and ask you?
Terry felt so stupid saying those words. He was usually very comfortable with women, why was this girl making feel like a fool?
- Of course, she said and you can ask the others too…, said Candy smiling
- Of course, said Terry feeling even more stupid
Candy went to talk to her colleagues and Terry went to talk to the guys where Robert Hathaway and his partners were standing.
A new page of his life was starting for Terry and for the first time he was looking forward to it. He will be able to accomplish his dream of becoming an actor… but was that his only dream?