Thank you kaper 361 for the image
The Hill of Happiness
by Mallory Quinn
Candice White was a young orphan. She was over 18 now and she had to leave the orphanage of Chicago. She would’ve ran away a long time ago, since she wasn’t adopted, but she thought it was her duty to protect the younger ones by helping them find good foster families, before she left. Now that it was done, she had found a little work in a hospital; she was distributing meals and would have a little cart with books for the patients. She would also talk with the patients and would keep them company from time to time. She would take them to the garden to get some fresh air.
One day she took an old lady in the garden to read to her. The old lady got some visits that day… one of his grand-nephew…
- Terry! She said smiling
- Hello Aunt Lea, said the young man smiling
He kissed her on the cheek. He looked at Candy who was sitting on a bench, next to his aunt’s wheelchair.
- Hello, said Candy
- I like your freckles…
- I beg your pardon? Said Candy
- Your freckles…
- Terry! Said his aunt Lea, did you come to see me of to flirt with Candy
- Candy? Said Terry, that’s your name? Like the sweets?
- It’s short for Candice, said Candy a little upset
- Terry! Said his aunt, I thought you were a gentleman…
- Aunt Lea, said Terry smiling, I think this young lady with freckles is irresistible!
- My name is not freckles, said Candy sulking
That young man with the British accent was charming and he was getting on her nerves at the same time… He started talking with his aunt, while teasing Candy at the same time. She smiled and was also teasing him.
- What’s you name again? Oh you want me to be polite? Miss Freckles? Is that ok?
- You’re hopeless! Said Candy laughing
- You want to have a cup of coffee with me at the cafeteria when my aunt Lea goes back to her room?
- Well, said Candy, it will be my break time in fact…
- Come and join me at the hospital cafeteria, said Terry
- All right said Candy
- Hello everybody, said the voice of a man
- Richard! Said Aunt Lea, it’s good to see you
- I would’ve come earlier if I knew you were in such a charming company every day
Candy looked at the young man who had just arrived. He looked a lot like Terry, you could see he was slightly younger than him and had a lot of charm, like his big brother… who, all of a sudden became taciturn. He wasn’t smiling anymore and wasn’t speaking anymore. Candy wondered what was going on…
Terry swore in his heart. Richard, his brother… He wished he was already gone…Because Richard was going to hit on Candy now, just to bug him, because he knew he liked Candy. Maybe if he pretended not to be interested in Candy, Richard won’t hit on her? But he knew his brother knew his tastes and he was jealous because he was the eldest…He prayed with all his heart that Candy would resist him… but no woman could resist Richard… and if he pretended not to like Candy, she was going to fall for Richard’s charm easier. But he didn’t want to fight Richard for a woman, that little snotty nosed kid was a pain in the ass since their childhood…
- It’s starting to get cold, said Candy; we’re going to go back to your room…
- All right, said Aunt Lea, you coming boys?
They all went to the old lady’s bedroom. Candy finished getting her ready and she left. She looked at Terry who didn’t even look at her. She looked at Richard who was smiling at her.
- You have to go?
- It’s her break, she’s got a date with Terry at the cafeteria, said Aunt Lea
Terry cursed in his head.
“Thanks Aunt Lea! If Richard doubted, now he’s sure I like Candy! Shit Shit shit and shit!” Said Terry to himself.
Candy got out of the room and she felt uncomfortable. But she went to the cafeteria to have a cup of tea b and a piece of apple pie.
Terry didn’t know what to do. He could leave and let Richard conquer Candy, but he didn’t want to leave Candy. He wanted to honor their date… So he decided to go to the cafeteria, but if Richard follows him…
Candy was wondering where was the young man who had nicknamed her “Freckles” a few minutes after their meeting? He changed as soon as his brother arrived… She looked up and she saw the two brothers walking towards her. Richard was smiling and Terry was sulking… She smiled back at Richard and Terry became unlikable at her eyes…
Terry looked and he cursed his brother for the thousandth time…