The Gift of Love
Lady Gato, and Candylyna
Chapter 1: “A Icy Meeting”
was the month of November and it was already very cold and snowing abundantly
that year. A young man named Terrence Grandchester was living in his father’s
castle, Richard Grandchester, the Duke of Grandchester. He had just finished
school in one of the best schools in London, the Royal College of Saint Paul,
with the best mark of the school. His life was all set; he was promised for
years to this very pretty young lady named Elizabeth Barrington. Elizabeth was a
lovely girl, charming, funny, but Terrence didn’t feel anything special for her;
it was just normal friendship. He was in his bedroom and his father was waiting
for him in the piano living room.
“I have to officially ask for Elizabeth’s hand in marriage. But I don’t have any romantic feelings towards her… Well maybe it’s for the best. My father loved my mother, but he still had to leave her because of the stupid society rules…since I’m not in love with Elizabeth, I shouldn’t have any problems pretending like my father is pretending with his wife…” he thought.
Terrence was wearing a nice suit. It was black with immaculate white shirt on. He always kept his hair long, despite his father’s insistence for them to have a hair cur. He liked his hair long, or he just liked to be a little different from the other boys. He had been a difficult child in school and only his grades made it up to his father. No matter how much Terrence was acting out in school to get his attention, he knew that his son would never fail in class he would never want to be called a failure… So he kept giving money to the nuns as Saint Paul, so they would keep Terrence, and the nuns kept him in their school, despite his bad behaviour.
Terrence arrived in front of the piano living room. Elizabeth was sitting on the Louis XIV style couch. His father saw him and he smiled.
- Terrence, said his father, Elizabeth and her parents are here with her…
Terrence greeted the Barringtons and he went to stand next to his father. His stepmother wasn’t in the room.
- And Elizabeth is waiting for you to ask her a question
Terrence looked at Elizabeth. She was very pretty, even beautiful, but he looked at her and it felt all wrong. He looked at his father whose eyes were telling him to start talking. Terrence took a deep breath and said:
- Elizabeth, it seems that our families thing that a union between us would be a good and profitable thing…, said Terry
Elizabeth was looking at him, like she was waiting for something.
- Elizabeth? Said her father, aren’t you going to answer him?
- I didn’t hear a question, said Elizabeth
That was the most unromantic proposal she had ever heard! Terrence had to restrain himself not to laugh.
- Just say “yes” Lizzie, said her father
Elizabeth was sulking, but Terrence Grandchester was not only handsome but a very very good catch. It was not the time to be difficult.
- Yes, Terrence, I will be your wife…
Terrence looked at her, he didn’t ask her to be his wife and she was saying yes anyway!
“This is nonsense! He thought, are they that desperate for me to marry their daughter?”
Terrence smiled and remained silent. The duke made a sign to the butler and he approached them carrying a tray with flutes of champagne glasses. Everybody took a glass of champagne.
- To Terrence and Elizabeth, said Mrs. Barrington
- To Terrence and Elizabeth, said the duke
Terrence drank to his engagement thinking it was so ridiculous. Mr and Mrs. Barrington left with their daughter.
- We’re invited by the Winston’s said Mrs. Barrington, but we need to plan a reception to officially announce your engagement. I will let you know when…
- Very well said the duke, we will be waiting…
- Good bye…
Elizabeth approached Terrence and hugged him, and kissed him lightly on the lips.
- Good bye, my darling, she said
- Good bye Elizabeth, said Terrence who had to stop himself so he wouldn’t pull away…
The Barrington left. The duke stayed with his son and they walked back to the piano living room.
- Terrence, what the hell was that?
- That was the most ridiculous wedding proposal I’ve ever heard!
- That says a lot about the person who accepted that proposal…
- Terrence! You were trying to sabotage your relationship with Elizabeth
- Well it didn’t work didn’t it?
- Why are you doing this! I thought since school was over you were more mature… This marriage is good for us especially for you…
- Yes, for me your bastard son?
- Yes, getting in the Barrington Family would be good for my image and may I’m going to forget my background…
- Why didn’t you marry her father? Why didn’t you make an honest woman out of her? She was good enough for you to sleep with but not to marry?
- She didn’t want anything to disrupt her career, so she gave me to you…
- She was that cold and just gave her child away? Her acting career was more important than me?
- I’m sorry Terrence, I’m sorry for everything… I’m doing the best that I can
- And your wife too?
- She’ll come around
- When? When I’m old and senile?
- I have an appointment with some associates, I’ll see you later at dinner time…
- All right dad, I’m going to go for a walk in the park.
Terrence went to change and put on a less expensive suit and he looked like a normal middle class young man. He was coming down the stairs and he met the butler’s son, Tom.
- Hey Master Terrence…
- Hi Tom
- Where are you going? Asked Tom
- For a walk in the park
- Sounds boring, said Tom, you want to come to the ice rink with me?
- The ice rink?
- Yes, I’m meeting my girlfriend there
- Well it’s better than taking a walk alone in the park
- Great, let’s go
- On one condition; no “Master Terrence”
- You can call me Terry when we’re alone…
- All right, let’s go “Terry”
The two boys left the castle and they walked to the ice rink. There was a lot of people having a lot of fun. It was snowing lightly. Tom looked around and he saw a girl with black hair coming towards on the ice.
- Tommy! She said hugging him
- Annie! He said kissing her on the cheek
- You’re finally here! I was getting worried
- Sorry if I worried you, sweetie. This is Terry…
- Hi, said Annie, does he work at the castle too?
- Hi, started Terry, well I…
- Yes, said Tom, he’s the cook’s son he runs errands for the castle…
Terry opened his mouth and looked at Tom with surprised eyes. He wanted to say something when Annie said:
- What a coincidence, I brought a friend with me too…
Her friend wasn’t on the ice and she was walking towards them with her skates on, so she was shaking a little.
- This is Candy, said Annie, Candy this is Tom, I told you about him
- Hi Tom, said Candy
- And his friend Terry, continued Annie
Terry was looking at Candy. She had big green eyes, thick blond hair, held in a bun under le little red hat matching her coat, freckles on her nose her mouth was shaped like a heart. Her lips were pink and they looked so soft. In a few seconds, Terry was dreaming of kissing this girl… Whoa! What the hell was happening to him…
- Hello Tom, Terry, said Candy smiling
- Hi Candy, said Tom
- Hello Miss Freckles, said Terry taking her hand to kiss it.
Annie and Tom burst out laughing.
- Isn’t he charming! Said Annie
Candy looked at the young man in question. He was so good looking… but why was he calling her Miss Freckles?
- Maybe you didn’t hear Annie say it: my name is Candy…
- But you’ve got freckles on your nose, so I thought Miss Freckles was more appropriate, said Terry
- Are you trying to be funny?
- Good! Because you’re not succeeding!
Candy wanted to move to go on the ice, since she was shaking. Terry thought she didn’t know how to skate, so he wanted to take her with him to impress her. So... he took her by the waist and dragged her to the ice…
- What are doing? Said Candy, let go of me!
- I just want to have a little spin with, don’t be afraid, it’s going to fun, I can teach you how to skate
- You arrogant fool! Said Candy, who told you I couldn’t skate?
- Now now, don’t need to be afraid, it’s ok, we’ve all learned how to skate at one time or another…
- Would you let go of me? Said Candy fighting with him on the ice.
Terry was trying to hold on to Candy, but she was fighting him hard and she ended up falling on the ice and her hat fell and her hair came down in cascade on her shoulders, it was so beautiful and Terry was mesmerised.
- Now look what you did? Said Candy upset. My hair!!!!
- I wonder why you keep it in a bun, you should let it on your shoulders, it’s so beautiful…
Candy was not in the mood to listen to compliments. Terry was giving her his hand.
- Come on Freckles, let me help you up…
Candy took Terry’s hand and pulled him down, so he also fell.
- Hey!!! He said
- Why did you do that? I wanted to help you…
- I don’t want your help! Said Candy and don’t you ever touch me again!!!! You boar!
Annie approached her friend with Tom and they both helped her up.
- Thanks guys, said Candy leaving them.
She took her skates off and she was walking away. Annie was following her.
- Tom, I’ll see you later, bye!!!! Bye Terry!!!
- Bye honey! Said Tom
Terry stood up and left the ice rink with Tom.
- Terry, what was that all about?
- That girl is just wonderful!
- Really? She just called you a boar…
- I know, did you see the fire in her eyes? She was so beautiful when she was angry…
- I want to see her again
- Master Terrence? Said Tom
- I told you to call me Terry when we’re out together
- I just want to remind you your position in society…
- You just introduced me as cook’s son…
- Master Terrence, it was fun for one afternoon… didn’t you just got engaged earlier this morning?
- I barely remember that… all I can think about now is Candy
- Oh my God! She just insulted you!
- I don’t care, I want her…
- You want to get insulted again?
- She loves me, said Terry, she just doesn’t know it yet…
Tom looked at Terry and shook his head. He had never seen his young master. He had never seen him so passionate about anything, let alone a girl.