“A blast from the past”
was a beautiful morning and a very pretty young woman with blond wavy hair,
lightened by the summer sun, with big beautiful green eyes was having breakfast
with some of her friends and colleagues.
- When are we going to have a break? She said.
- We didn’t even start yet! Said her friend.
- I don’t really feel like working today…
- Candy come on, we just got here, we’re at the Ritz, and we’re going to have a fashion show in front of all those famous people, said her friend Callie.
- The picture sessions are tiresome…, said Candy, I can’t wait to be done for the day…
- You’re not dating and you’re blowing off every man interested in you…
- Well I just don’t feel like dating…, said Candy.
- You’re husband died, life goes on…
- I just want to make a living and raise my little boy, for now.
- Your little boy is going to need a father someday…Candy you’re still very young… life goes on… you need a man to help you raise your little boy…
- Well, I guess I’ll cross that bridge when I get there…
A tall man, slim and tall with a professional digital camera around his neck. His name was Nick.
- Girls! He said come on darlings, we’ve got work to do!!! We’re going to take pictures in front of the hotel sur la Place Vendôme, les filles! Now, let’s go!!!!
The models were giggling and they followed the photographer outside with the whole crew. So it was work, work and work until lunch time!
- Ok ladies, that’s a wrap!!! Said Nick, you can go and have lunch and a few hours of break, until the runway tonight…
The girls were glad, to have a little break. Candy was happy, she wanted to call her little boy before it gets too late.
- Candy you want to come and have lunch with us? Asked Callie.
- Sure, but I have to call my little boy first…,said Candy.
- Sure, give him a kiss from me…, said Callie.
- I will! I’ll see you guys later, said Candy.
Candy walked to the hotel lobby and she went to the reception to get her key and to see if she had any messages.
- Miss Andre, said the receptionist with a French accent, you had a phone call… here are the messages.
- Thank you said Candy smiling, can I have my key please?
- Of course, here it is…
- Thank you, said Candy.
- You’re very welcome.
Candy took the key and she was walking to the elevator. She was waiting for it when she heard:
- Freckles… what a wonderful surprise!
Candy was startled. She turned around and she saw a tall dark haired man with sunglasses and a hat.
- Do I know you? Said Candy coldly.
- Freckles, it’s me…
- Who me? She said.
- Come on Candy…
- How do you know my name?
- Stop fooling around! He said taking off his glasses and his hat.
Candy turned around and looked at him.
- Well, well, well, if it isn’t Terrence Grandchester, the big movie star!
- It’s so good to see you…
- How’s married life?
He looked at her like she had just fallen from the sky.
- Are you making fun of me? Because it’s not funny at all!!!
- What did I say? You are married aren’t you?
- Candy, what game are you playing?
- I’m not playing; you’re the one that’s married!
- And you didn’t get married? I saw the pictures in the papers…
- So you must know that I have a son now… I’m going to call him before he takes his nap…
Terry felt like they put a knife in his heart. A son, she had a son…
- I’m here with my daughter…, he said.
- Your daughter, said Candy a little hurt, oh… what’s her name?
- You know her name, I told you…
- When did you tell me that?
- The last time we met here?
Candy looked at him like he had 3 heads.
- You and I met here? Really?
- Candy why are you pretending you don’t remember?
- I’m not pretending, I don’t remember!
- Come on!
- I swear! I was in a car accident… and I lost my short term memory…
- Short term memory? How long is that?
- I don’t remember the last 6 years of my life…
- You’re making this up!
- Why would I make this up?
- 6 years… so that means, you don’t remember meeting me here almost 2 years ago?
- I told you, I don’t know what you’re talking about!!! I have to go Terry …
- Candy, why are you doing this?
- You think I’m faking? Why would I fake it?
- You don’t want to confront what happened between us, so close to your wedding…
Candy looked at him stunned.
- Are you implying that you and I we… before my wedding while you were with your wife?! How dare you imply such a thing?! I would never cheat on my fiancé!!! Never you hear me? Not even with the great Terrence Grandchester!!!!
Terry looked at her… She seemed sincere. Candy was angry, she got out the elevator and Terry followed her.
- Stop following me!!!! She said irritated.
- My suite is on this floor…
- You’ve got to be kidding me!
- Actually, I’m not… here is my suite, next to yours apparently…
Candy opened her suite and got in and closed the door. What was Terry doing in Paris? Probably shooting a movie… but what the hell was he talking about? She met him last year and they had an affair??? Why would she have an affair with Terry when she was engaged to Anthony? No! She had more morals than that! She married Anthony, and they had a baby… So Terry must be delusional! He was married himself! So he cheated on his wife? She made him do that? No, she wouldn’t … But why would Terry lie to her?
- I don’t have time to think about that, I have to call my little Anthony…
She dialled the number and at the third ring, someone picked up.
- Hello? Said Candy.
- Annie! Hi!
- How’s Paris?
- Wonderful! How’s my little darling?
- He’s just great! Let me put him on the phone… he’s playing with Leslie.
Leslies was Annie’s 1 year old little girl with Archie.
- Hi, said a baby’s voice.
- Hello, said Candy with a smile…, how’s mommy’s little boy? Mommy misses you a lot…I’m going to come home soon, ok Anthony? I love you. Be good baby… bye.
- Bye! Said the baby.
Annie took the phone back.
- I’m going to them down for their nap now, said Annie.
- Thank you so much for looking after him, Annie.
- Don’t mention it… I love the little guy.
- Thank you for this photo shoot too… I needed to get away… it’s so frustrated not to remember anything!
- How was the shoot?
- It was fine, it took my mind off of stuff until…
- Until what? Said Annie.
- Annie… something weird happened…
- I saw Terry…
- Yes, you know my boyfriend from high school who is now this big movie star…
- Oh… did he say hello? Did you talk to him?
- He talked to me… He was saying the weirdest thing.
- Like what?
- That we met almost 2 years ago, before I married Anthony… and that we…
- Annie, do you know anything about this?
- Candy, you didn’t confide in me that time.
- Really? Why?
- Maybe because Terry was married… I don’t know… I can’t tell you anything; because you didn’t tell me anything… you were kind of depressed and not very talkative… then you went on your trip…
- I know one thing, I didn’t cheat on Anthony! I wouldn’t do that to him!!!
- Candy calm down, your memory is going to come back…
- It’s been over a year, Annie… I don’t think it’s coming back… and I don’t mind… but meeting Terry and not knowing what on earth he was talking about, was kind of unsettling!
- Candy, take advantage to talk to Terry…
- He’s married Annie, I don’t want to break up a family…
- Candy, said Annie, you don’t know… Terry is not married anymore, Susanna died last year…
- What???? Oh my God! And I was making fun of him! How stupid of me!!!
- It’s ok, honey… just explain to him that you have amnesia
- I tried; he doesn’t see to want to believe me!
- Well good luck convincing him.
- I’m going to avoid him like the plague…
- Terry? You’re kidding right? He’s got you in Paris, alone… and he doesn’t have amnesia, he must know that Anthony is dead…
- Then why didn’t he come back to me? If he were free, and I was free…
- You’ll have to ask him…
- Oh Annie, this is so confusing! For the first time, in a long time I wish I had my memory back!!!
- Your amnesia made you forget you’re a nurse…
- I didn’t want to risk the patient’s lives, so you gave me a job in your modeling agency…
- You’re a natural and so photogenic…
- Thanks Annie…
- Anything for my sister…
- I love you
- I love you too…
- I have to get some rest for the modeling show tonight
- All right, good luck… I can’t wait to see it.
- Bye Annie. Kiss Anthony and Lesley for me.
- I will… bye honey, take care.
- Bye Annie…
Candy hung up the phone and she changed. Then she went back down to meet her friends for lunch.
- Candy! Said Callie, where were you?
- She probably was busy blowing off some unwanted suitors.
- As a matter of fact I was, said Candy smiling?
- Inside this hotel, probably a millionaire, said Callie, anybody we know?
- I think so, said Candy.
- Who? Said Callie, tell us!
- Well he’s an actor…
- Actor? Said another girl, who.
- Terrence Grandchester, said Candy.
- What??? Oh my God! Said Callie, you blew him off???
- Are you insane? Said another girl.
- Candy, he’s single, he’s free and he has a kid like you! Said Callie.
- What’s the kid have to do with me? Said Candy.
- I don’t know, said another girl, but he just came in the restaurant with a little girl and they’re sitting just in front of us.
All the girls turned around to look at Terry with his little girl, who was his splitting image, they sat down and ordered.
- Would you stop staring at them like that! Said Candy, could you be more obvious?
- All right! Said Callie, he’s gorgeous! Oh my God! Candy!
- You can’t let this opportunity pass you by!
Candy thought about the past, how she almost married Terry, then the accident happened… How her whole world came crashing down… Then there was Anthony and she didn’t remember her life with him at all!!!!
A waiter approached their table…
- Excuse me Miss Candy?
Candy looked at the waiter.
- Yes, that’s me…
- The gentleman over there with his daughter are inviting you to have lunch with them…
- Oh, but…
- God Candy! Said Callie, he’s with his daughter; you’re not risking anything…
- Yes, said the other, go!
- All right, said Candy, I’m leaving or you’re going to bug me forever with this!!!
Candy who was wearing a beautiful dress from Annie’s collection, took her purse and walked to Terry’s table. Terry was wearing a suit, navy blue and the little girl had a pretty navy dress. She had her hair down, with bangs like her father, with big blue eyes.
- Hello, she said smiling.
The little girl looked at her and she smiled.
- Hello there! Who are you?
- My name is Candy and I’m a friend of your daddy…
- Yes, really…, said Candy.
- Oh, my name is Juliet, I’m pleased to meet you.
- Juliet is a pretty name, said Candy looking at Terry, I’m pleased to meet you.
They were both thinking about the May Festival, when Candy was disguised as Romeo, then as Juliet… She was Terry’s Juliet, until Susanna came along obsessed with Terry, got the role that cost her her leg… Getting the role of Juliet, gave her Terry…Candy was Terry’s first Juliet and Susanna had stole that from her; by getting the role that was going to allow her to get Terry for good… but then again, they say; nothing lasts forever… Susanna was now gone…
Candy sat down, next to Terry.
- Hello Candy.
- Hello Terry, she said.
- Thank you for doing this, he said, Juliet is a little bored, you see I’m a guy; she needs a woman to talk to…
- Yes Candy, please can you play with me please, when you have time? Asked Juliet.
- I have a job, sweetie…, said Candy.
- I know, that’s why I said “when you have time”…
- But of course, sweetie! Said Candy smiling, I will come to see you every time I have some free time.
- Thank you!!! Said Juliet smiling, can you stay forever?
- No, I have a little boy, who needs me…
- Oh… where is he? Did you come with him here?
- No, he stayed with my sister and I call him everyday.
- How old is he?
- He’s just a year old…
- And what’s his name?
- He must be cute, I want to meet him… I wish I had a little brother, but mommy and daddy only made me… now my mommy is dead…
- I’m sorry about that…, said Candy.
- Let’s order! Said Terry to change the conversation.
- All right, what do you want Juliet?
- I want a burger and fries…
- All right, I’ll have a salad, said Candy.
- Just a salad? Said Terry.
- Yes, I have a fashion show tonight I don’t them to adjust my dress at the last minute.
- A meal is not going to change anything…
- You’d be surprise of the difference a meal makes on someone’s body!
- Don’t get too skinny Freckles…I want to feel some flesh when I hold you…
Candy became bright as red. She wanted to reply, but she didn’t want to talk in front of Juliet. They had lunch and Candy had a good time talking to Juliet who really liked the young woman with emerald eyes. Terry was glad. He didn’t quite know what was going to happen, but he was sure of one thing, he was going to get his Freckles back.
While they walked to their suites, Juliet was holding Candy’s hand and giggling and laughing with Candy.
- Would you have dinner with us tonight too? She asked.
- No, I have a fashion show tonight, so by the time it’s done, you’re going to be asleep…
- Oh… daddy… can I see Candy in her fashion show? Please, please pretty please? She said begging.
They had arrived in front of their suite, and Terry opened the door.
- Sweetie, the fashion show might take a long time, and you’re going to be sleepy.
- But if I take a nap now, then I won’t be that tired and I could go with you, please daddy!!!
Terry looked at Candy and he looked at his little girl. How could he refuse?
- All right baby, he said, we’re here to have fun… If you take a long nap, you’ll be able to stay up a little later and watch the fashion show…
- Oh thank you daddy! Said Juliet hugging his feet.
- Now, said Candy, let’s go put you down for your nap, said Candy, can you show me your room?
- Sure, come this way…
Juliet took Candy’s hand and they walked to her room. It was a beautiful room with a single bed, all in pink. Juliet went to the bathroom, she washed her hands, brushed her teeth and Candy looked in her drawers for a nightgown. It was a Disney one with all the princesses in the stories. Candy put her to bed…
- You want me to read you a story? Asked Candy.
- Yes, please…, said Juliet.
There were some books on the night table and Candy took one, it was Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs…
- Once upon a time, in a far away land…, started Candy.
When she got to the third page, Juliet was sound asleep. Candy kissed her on the cheek and left the room. She found Terry in the sitting room, reading.
- She’s sleeping, said Candy.
- Thank you for taking care of her, he said.
- You don’t need to thank me, she’s adorable…
- So we’ll have dinner together after the show?
- You used your daughter to get me to have dinner with you!
- Come on Freckles, you know you want to have dinner with me too…
- I can’t disappoint Juliet…, said Candy.
- Only Juliet? I remember a very feisty woman a few years ago…
- Would you stop saying that? I was engaged to Anthony…
- But that didn’t stop you from being with me…
Candy’s heart jumped…
- What are you saying? That I cheated on Anthony with you?
- I’m saying that we were lovers Candy, it was wonderful, but nothing lasts forever…you and I know that way too well
Nothing lasts forever...
Turn your back and walk away;
Never to return.
Deep inside your pounding heart
A fire begins to burn
Orange sky, pastel moons and planets,
Above her where she stands.
Only as a sweet, fleeting memory,
Will be her lost homeland.
The path to the stars is lonely and cold.
But it beckons with a power and vast
Mysterious majesty untold.
The promise of adventure.
Every door opens a way, we must step inside.
And some doors will close. Never to open.
So begins the greatest ride.
It's not where you go. It's not what you do.
It's who is with you, that brings the greater joy.
But the cold, black void beckons, Avrilita must go.
Her eyes never turn.
Like the restless ocean, like the river's flow,
Will the waters return?
Remember the days, the summers,
The times we shared together.
Happy and sad.
That is all we have
Nothing lasts forever...