Terry the Family Man
by Tuba & Gentillefille
Chapter 1: "Terryís story"
- Mr. Grandchester, your
- Thank you Agathe, please tell the maid to bring me a coffee
- All right Mr. Grandchester, is there anything else that I could do for you?
- You may close the door while leaving
- Itís that...
- What is it Agathe, what do you want? I didnít even have my morning coffee, Iím not in the mood to chat with you!
- Iím sorry Mr. Grandchester, I was just going to ask you for permission tonight, itís Christmas eve and I wanted to spend it with my family.
- Christmas? Again? I remember that I let you go last Christmas; you certainly canít go to your family in this one. We have a lot of work to do; you must type my new play... You know that you canít be a rich girl and achieve your goals in life, if you keep doing holidays...
- But Mr Grandchester.... one year passed since the last ChristmasÖ I only asked for tonight and I work hard all the yearÖ
- Well Agathe dear... if you leave today; donít come back tomorrow, is it clear?
- Yes, sir
- Now please tell the maid to bring my coffee
- Alright sir, what about Madame? Would she like to drink something?
- Oh yes, I almost forgot about her, bring us two coffeesÖ
After Agathe leaves the room, Terry is alone looking at the letters that he received. He hate Christmas so much, itís just an excuse to not work. If Agathe wasnít such a good assistant, he would have fire her so long ago for giving too much importance to these kind of holidays. He doesnít understand why people keep sending him Christmas cards, he never replies them. He is looking at the useless cards, letters and the phone messages that he received , when his mate of last night comes out the bathroom
- Terrence... is the breakfast ready?
- Breakfast? I thought you were not eating anything to keep this body as perfect as it is...
He gets up from the bed and holds her, she is a new and young actress, she is beautiful and she really is good in bed. Her name is... well itís... alright Terry doesnít remember it but he can tell you where is her birth mark. Terry starts to kiss her passionately and drags her to bed. But she stops him.
- Terrence, I have to go, donít have time for this now
- What? You donít have time for me? Are you sure honey, you may regret it...
- Yes, I am sure. Itís Christmas eve and I want to spend the day and night with my family
- What a silly idea! Spending the day and the night with your family? We could have our private Christmas eve together, I could be Santa Claus if you want and you could be the good girl who deserved her present from Santa!
- O Terrence, you really donít understand anything in Christmas at all, do you! Well I must go now, see you in two days
- Donít count on it honeyÖ
The girl leaves Terry alone in his room.
- Where is this coffee? I will fire Agathe and the maid.... Letís check the letters.... one from Nila, one from Frida, one from Amalia, one from Sandrine, one from Marie Alice, one from Cťline, one from Ivy, one from Paloma? .... who are these girls? Donít even remember their names but Iím sure they were cute... letís see the phone messages, one from Candice... Candice?
Terry reads the note that her assistant wrote, ďCandice White Andrew called, she wanted me to tell youÖĒ
- Candy called me? After all this time, she called me? I wonder what she wants...
The maid comes with one cup of coffee while Terry is still in bed looking at Candyís note doesnít dare to read it allÖ
- What ?
- Your coffee sir
- You only brought to me one coffee?
- I ordered two!
- But the lady left so I thought...
- Do I pay you for thinking?
- No Sir...
- Donít think then, bring me another coffee
- Alright sir
When she leaves, Terry has in his hand Candyís note. He can't decide what to do with it...
- Alright letís read it...
- Mr. Grandchester
Itís the maid who interrupts Terryís thoughts once again.
- What do you want ?
- I brought your coffee and also would like to inform you that you have a visit
- A visit? Is she beautiful?
- Yes, sir, she is your mother.
- My mother? What does she want from me? Did you say her that I wasnít at home
- Yes, she said so but I didnít want to believe her. Says Eleonor Baker, who followed the maid until her sonís room. Can you leave us alone Mary?
- Yes madam, do you want anything to drink?
- No, thanks
When the maid leaves the room Terry and Eleonor look at each other, itís Eleonor who breaks the silence
- How are you Terry? You donít look good...
- Oh Thank you mother, you came all the way here to tell me that I donít look good?
- I didnít mean that... oh Terry itís Christmas eve today and there is nothing in
world for me and your father that matters more than to see you with us tonightÖ
- Oh really? What for?
- We are a family Terry, please...
- Are we? Iím sorry but I must protest madam. This duke of yours may fooled you but he canít fool me. He is old and his wife left him, thatís why he is with you now. And you forgave him! Well I wonít forgive you for that! You two made all my life miserable and now you are back together!
- Honey please try to understand us, donít be so mean!
- Iím not mean, mommy dearest, Iím just telling the truth. I canít wait until he dies, you know he told me that I would be the duke when he would die. Yes, I will be the Duke of Grandchester. Itís the funniest thing you know, and I certainly will not marry anyone, wonít have any child and would do anything to make him not to rest in peace in his grave.
- Now if you excuse me I had a very passionate night and need to take a shower...
- I donít know how you became like this. Itís all Susannaís faultÖ
- Donít act like an idiot, you know who I mean... You became more and more mean when you were with her and after she left you, I thought you would go to Candy, that you would change... Itís has been 8 years now, and you became the meanest person I knowÖ
- Oh really? Sorry for this, say hi to daddy dearest, and let me know when he diesÖ
Eleonor leaves her sonís room. She knew that it would be impossible to convince him to come with her but she had to try. She doesnít understand why her son is like this but it hurts them both, her and her husband to see him this way.
After Eleonor left Terry starts to feel bad. He goes downstairs to have a good breakfast. He hears the maid, the cook and Agathe talking. They all are complaining about him, they all talk about Christmas Eve. It makes him feel worse. He goes to his library to read some plays to pass time. He reads more than four hours than remembers that there is a Christmas party at the theater.
- All right Terry! Why not? There would be some beautiful girls thereÖ
He leaves the big house that he has, to go to party. He takes a taxi to go there. The party is really like he imagined it. There are beautiful girls laughing everywhere but tonight Terrence Grandchaster isnít lucky. All the girls want to spend the night with their family. The party is about to finish when he remembers Candyís note. He decides to read it.
ďCandice White Andrew called, she wanted me to tell you that she leaves the country tomorrow for good, she has some of your belongins that she would like to return.Ē
- What does this mean? She calls me to give me back my belongings? What belongings? Did I give her anything? Donít rememberÖ I wonder how she got my phone numberÖ There is also her phone number on it. Should I call her back? Where is she going? Oh, whateverÖ I donít have time to spend with the ghosts of the past Ö
Terry starts to feel his head spinning, he needs to take some fresh air, all that happened today were too much emotions even for him. He starts to walk. The snow is falling and itís getting more and more cold. He starts to walk faster to get warm. He looks at the people who walk in the streets, they are all so joyful, so happy. He feels good tooÖ Why not? He has all that he wanted all his life! Didnít he leave the school to become famous? Well he is famous now, he is rich, and he has all the girls that he wants. No one could be happier than him! But itís getting colder, this isnít a good time to walk in the streets happily, so he decides to get in a store nearby. There is only the shop owner and a boy looking like 16 years old there. When Terry gets in the store he hears them talking, then he sees the knife that the boy has in his hand.
- Hey, take this money! Iím giving you money and you donít accept it, Iím not stealing anything!
- This money isnít valid, itís ripped and covered with blood.
- I donít care about it, you will take it and give me what I need. I will bring this bicycle to my sister no matter what!
- Iím telling you this money isnítÖ
- Enough about the money, I will kill you if you donít give me this bicycle
Terry feels that he has to intervene. He walks two steps forward and comes near to the boy. He is blond with blue eyes and doesnít look like a punk at all. Terry turns to him and says:
- Can I look at the money?
- What for?
- Well if itís still good I will take it and use it in some other store. I will give to this one another money that I haveÖ
- Why you would do that?
- Because I will buy the bicycle with less money than you will give me. I will make money in this, and you will have your bicycle.
The boy looks at him. His blue eyes are shining. He gives his money to Terry, takes the bicycle and leaves. Terry gives to the store manager the money that he needs for the bicycle and leaves the store. Outside, while he walks slowly he sees the young boy again. He wants to talk to him so he walks towards him.
- Hi again, he says
- Hi, what do you want?
- I want to talk
- To me?
- Yes. Whatís your name ?
- TonyÖ were you going to kill the store manager for a bicycle?
- Yes, I were
- But why? Donít you know that our lives are the consequences of what we do?
- I do, but do you?
- What do you mean?
- Donít you regret sometimes your life? Donít you wonder how it would be if you made the right choice when you could?
- I donít know what you are talking about but I love my life and there is nothing that I regret about it!
- AlrightÖ remember that you wanted it.
- I wanted what?
- Youíll seeÖ he says and leaves. While the snow is falling Terry feels colder, he walks as fast as he can to his home. He is shaking, and doesnít know if itís from cold or from what Tony said to him. When he is at home, he goes directly to his room, takes off his clothes and gets in the bed. He starts to sleepÖ deeplyÖ