“Terry on tour...”
Candy was working
at her daycare and she was enjoying working with kids. Her days were full and
Florence used to help her sometimes for the dinner. Terry had always a hot meal
when he was coming back and he was so happy to come and find Candy waiting for
him with a good dinner.
Candy passed the exam of the driving license and she succeed it, even if she was very nervous.
- Congratulations, Freckles, said Terry smiling.
- I had the best teacher, said Candy holding him tenderly, there is a proverb Chinese that says "there are no bad students, there are only bad teachers"
- I know, said Terry, I trust you, do you want to drive?
- Thank you Terry, she said smiling.
- She drove until their apartment and Terry didn't make any comment until they arrived home.
Time passed and Terry's play "King
Lear" started. Candy was so touched to see Terry telling his love to Susanna on
stage. She looked at her and saw that she was very happy. She had the impression
that Susanna was really thinking that Terry was talking about love with her. And
she was also beautiful…. But, what should she think now? Terry wanted only her
and no one else. They were engaged. After the play there was a reception and
Candy was with Terry and Rose.
- You were fantastic Terry, said Candy
- Thank you Candy, I play for you, for us…
- Oh Terry…, said Candy smiling, you were born to be actor.
- That's right Terrence, you were excellent, said Rose smiling
- You too Rose, said Terry smiling
- Look at the two rebels of the first class who are excellent actors now, said Candy laughing.
- Yes, our parents must be sick, said Terry laughing, I wish they could at least see that we are talented…
- Well my mother would never accept the fact that I had an illegitimate child and that I refused to marry Cal… she wanted me to make Cal believe that the baby was his.
- Oh my God! Said Candy surprised…
- She was that desperate, said Rose laughing…
Candy and Terry went to breathe some air in the garden and they took that opportunity to get closer. She was in his arms
- I will miss you, said Candy
- I will miss you too, I wish you could come with me
- Me too, but I have the daycare…
- Of course, honey
- And Rose will be there…
Susanna was also outside breathing some air, she heard them. She couldn't stand this anymore!
- Terry, she said getting near them.
- Susanna? Said Terry
- Terry! How could you do this to Rose? She said
- Do what? Said Terry surprised.
- Be with… her!
Candy looked at the scene surprised and amused.
- Susanna…, said Terry
- What's happening? Asked Rose coming
- Rose, said Susanna, I surprised Terry with her again! She pretends to be your friend, but she is with Terry behind your back…
Rose and Terrence were not saying a word. Candy was smiling. The scene was pretty funny.
- Oh, said Candy who understood it all, Susanna, you think that Rose and Terry are together?
- But…yes…, started Susanna
- Susanna, I never told you that I was dating Rose, said Terry
- But…, said Susanna confused
- Terrence is engaged to Candy, said Rose, if I gave the impression of being with him, it was to discourage you…
- Oh…, said Susanna confused
- But thank you Susanna for defending me, said Rose laughing
- I'm sorry, said Susanna who was bright as red
And she ran out of there. Candy and Terry burst out laughing.
- This is why she was always cold to me? Said Candy
- She is in love with you Terry, said Rose
- But …, said Terry
- Didn't she ever tried something? Asked Rose
- Now that you say it, it seems to me that yes…, said Terry
- She surely thought that as you were cheating with me, you could be cheating with her too, but since it didn't work with her, she exploded, said Candy
- Oh, said Terry, I will be cautious with her then…
- Let's go back home, said Candy, the evening is finished
- All right, you want a ride home Rose? Said Terry
- Yes, thank you said Rose smiling.
They left the evening together, laughing. Susanna was disturbed and she didn't even dare to look at them. Later in their apartment Candy talked about Susanna again
- Susanna… I understand now her hostility to me, it wasn't for Rose, she was jealous…
- You have also a suitor, haven't you?
- Yes, I saw how he looked at you at the opening of the daycare, he has a thing for you…
- Oh, said Candy blushing a little
- Freckles, that's life… There will be women who will fall in love with me and men who will fall in love with you, we can't do anything about it…
- As long as we are together, nothing matters, said Candy, I have a present for you.
- Yes; to congratulate for your first role.
She gave him a package. Terry took and opened it. It was the sweater, that she made for him with a hat, a scarf and mittens, all in wool
- I knitted them myself, I chose blue for your eye's color.
Terry was very moved, he took her in his arms and kissed her. She spent hours every day to make all that! He was moved.
- Thank you Snow White, it's so beautiful, I love it.
- I'm happy you like it
- It must have taken a lot of time
- I did it with all my love
- This is why it's very precious for me…. I love you
- I love you. I will miss you…
- I will miss you too. But there won't be any second that I won't think of you…
They spent the night to enjoy each other's company. They were going to be separated for months…
The next day, Candy accompanied Terry to the train station when he left for his tour. He couldn't stop kissing her. She had tears in her eyes.
- Bye Terry, she said crying, I love you
- I love you Freckles, he said sad, bye.
He jumped to the train which took off; he was the last one who to hop in and he stand at the door until the train disappeared…
Candy went back to the daycare crying. She took care of the kids and started to feel much better. Time was going to pass slowly without Terry. She wrote to her friends in England and she kept working. Her friends came back to America because of the War and she went to the harbour to take them. She was so happy to see them.
- Candy ! Yelled Annie running to her
- Annie! Said Candy, running also to her
They held each other laughing and crying in the same time. She also hugged Alistair and Archibald.
- Candy, it's good to see you again! Said Alistair
- Yes, said Archie, how are you?
- I'm fine, she said smiling
- Let's go to your place, said Alistair, we will talk
- Alright. I took the day off at the daycare and I will spend my time with you!
- Alright, said Alistair, George, we are going to Candy's place, we will come to Lakewood later
- Alright, said George
Neal and Eliza were there but they didn't say anything. They looked at their cousins leaving. George, who was with them, took them to Chicago.
Candy took her friends the car. And she told them to put the luggage in the trunk.
- Where is your driver, Candy? Asked Alistair
- I don't have one, said Candy
- But, who is going to drive?
- I will, said Candy
- What? Said her friends in the same time
- I will drive, said Candy, so, are you coming?
- You know how to drive? Said Alistair
- If I didn't, I wouldn't have a driver's license, said Candy, are you coming or you prefer to take a cab?
- We're coming Candy, said Annie smiling, WOW! You are full of surprises! Are you coming boys?
They got in Candy's car and she was driving very well.
- Wow! Said Archie
- Terry taught me. I asked him too...
- He taught you good, said Alistair
- She drives better than you do Alistair! Said Archie laughing
- I must admit that Candy is very good, Terry taught you well, he repeated
- Thank you Alistair, coming from you, it's a big compliment.
She took them to her place where Florence was waiting with a delicious hot meal.
- Florence, these are my friends, guys this is Florence!
- Hello, said Florence, welcome back to America
- Hi, said the friends, and thank you!
They were talking.
- How's Patricia? Asked Candy
- She's fine, said Annie, she was sad to see us leave…
- I imagine... said Candy sadly
- Europe isn't good at all, said Annie, Patricia will have to join us soon
- Dinner is ready, said Florence.
- Thank you Florence, you're an angel, said Candy
They went to the table to eat while talking happily.
- And you Candy, said Archie, you're staying in New York?
- Yes, said Candy, I'm waiting for Terry, we're getting married…
- Oh, said Archie a little bit hurt
- When? Asked Annie
- As soon as he meets the Great Uncle William to ask him to marry me officially..., said Candy, Terry is in tour right now.
She showed her hand to her friends; Annie smiled seeing the diamond ring.
- Oh My God Candy! Said Annie, it's amazing!!
- Thank you Annie said Candy smiling
Annie got up and hugged her.
- Life seems to be good for you right now, enjoy it as much as you can, said Annie
- I intend to
- But living in sin, said Archie, do you find it acceptable ?
- There are two rooms in this apartment Archie, said Candy
- And Terry left the college with her, he has good intentions and he already gave her an engagement ring, said Annie
- And they love each other, said Alistair, Terry will make an honest woman out of her soon
Archie felt that he was loosing against them, everybody was on the side of that damn son of a Duke! The subject of the conversation changed and Candy told them about the adventures of her little pensioners in the daycare.
Candy and Annie slept in the big room and she gave the second room to Alistair and Archibald. Candy was in bed with Annie
- Candy, you really sleep in the other room? Asked Annie
- Well... let's just say that I like spending my time in Terry's room, said Candy smiling
- Oh....said Annie blushing, you live like married couples...
- And it's marvellous every time, said Candy
- But aren't you afraid of getting pregnant?
- Well, a baby would be welcomed, trust me… but we... are taking precautions..
- Oh… said Annie, you are full of surprises, you know that? Can you tell me everything?
- Of course Annie, what do you want to know?
They talked almost all night long and they were laughing out loud. The boys were hearing them from the other room
- Do you believe that she really sleeps in this room? Said Archie
- I know that I wouldn't let her sleep in another room, or I would go to see her often if I was Grandchester...
- Archie, stop torturing yourself… they are engaged and will get married… after all that they have been through on the Titanic. They were about to die so now they are taking advantage of the second chance life has given them
- Yeah… they had to meet on the Titanic!!!
- But she would have met him at the school, wouldn't she? They were meant to be together…
- It's not fair, we saw her before! Said Archie
- Well, Neil saw her before us, can you imagine if he was thinking that she had to be with him because of that? Said Alistair
- You are right... but I just can't forget about her…
They also kept talking during most of the night and Alistair consoled his brother the best way he could.
The next day, they went to the daycare with Candy to see the kids and help her. Alistair was impressed.
- Candy, he said, other girls would run to the boutiques, but you are making something for the kids?
- Alistair, the clothes would be always there but there are a lot of mothers working and they need somebody to look after their children..., said Candy
- This is what you do with your pocket money? Said Annie
- Well Annie, normally, I wouldn't touch the money, Terry takes care of me... but if it can help little children, why no?
- You will always amaze me, said Archie smiling
They spent the day at the daycare taking care of the children and telling them stories.
Candy's friends left for Lakewood a few days later. The great Aunt wasn't happy but she didn't say anything. The Reagans kids were sulking. They would've loved to stay with their cousins; Eliza wanted to see Terrence… and Neil wanted to see Candy… Yes, that's weird... but seeing Terry treating her like the princess of the school made him weird. He saw Candy with another eye, not like a stable girl, but like a very beautiful young girl who had the attention of Terry, Archie, Alistair and also Anthony when he was alive!
Stratford Company went to Chicago too, where they played for charity, Archie and his family were invited. He was talking to his brother.
- I don't want to go see that snotty nosed kid!
- Well you can stay if you want, no one is forcing you to go
- But Annie wanted me to go with her and I already said yes...
- Then you shouldn't disappoint a lady, said Alistair
Archie was forced to go to see the play with his family and Annie. Terry was amazing on stage. After the play, there was a reception and Terry was with Rose, who had a babysitter for her baby during the tour. Hathaway paid for a babysitter for her during the tour.
- Terry, said Annie smiling, congratulations, you were marvellous.
- Thank you Annie, said Terry smiling, this is Rose... here is Candy's sister, Annie Brighton.
- Good evening Rose, said Annie, Candy told me a lot about you...
- Nice to meet you Rose, Candy told me a lot about you too...
She looked at the boys
- How is it going guys? Said Rose
- Fine..., said Alistair smiling
- How are you? Asked Archie
- I'm fine, I'm sorry about your cousin Anthony, said Rose
- Thank you, said Alistair and Archie at the same time
They started to talk about Candy and about the time they spent in New York with her. For a moment Archie found himself alone with Terry.
- I saw your apartment, said Archie to Terry, you can not fool me with your two rooms! She sleeps in your bed every night, doesn't she?
- Cornwell, what do you want?
- If you hurt her, you will have to deal with me!
- Ok… Now can you stop dreaming? She is with me, she loves me not you! Come back to Earth!
Terry left him and went to keep his conversation with others. Susanna was staying distant, after what happened with Candy, she was avoiding Terry, but she vas still looking at him from far and loving him in silence.