by Mallory Quinn
“Miss Gloomy Day”
It was another rainy
day in London. The weather in that city was somehow peculiar; it could be good
all week , but you have to be prepare for one day of rain, and that seemed to be
falling on every single Thursday. The school year was over at Oxford and
Cambridge and the students were glad to be free for a few weeks. Some of them
were starting their internship right away, some of them will take advantage of
the summer holidays and have fun before falling in the cruel
Parents have come from all over the country to see their children graduate. The ceremony went on fine so did the speeches the little reception. A young woman was smiling with her parents and taking pictures.
- I'm so proud of you, said her father
- Thanks daddy, she said
- Now you can work and be your own boss with your money… maybe you’ll spend it wisely, said her mother.
- Come on mum, I’m not a big spender compared to the others… she said
- I know honey, said her mum, I’m so proud of you!
- Thanks mum. My friends and I are going to celebrate…
- We have a plane to catch tomorrow… said her dad.
- I know I’ll be coming in a week’s time, she said, thank you so much for coming.
- We wouldn’t have missed it for the world! Said her mum
They hugged, kissed, took more pictures, then she went to party with her friends. Her parents left; they had to get ready for the trip the next day.
- Candy, come on! Said one of the male friends, let’s go
Candice- Bianca Grey, had long blond hair, freckles on her nose, beautiful emerald eyes and a smile that could light up a gloomy day.
- I'm coming! Said Candy, bye mum, bye dad!
- Bye baby, said her parents.
She kissed them again and she left with her friends. She had a marvellous time celebrating and while her friends brought guys back with them to spend the night, she was alone in her room on the bed, thinking about her family and how excited she was to see them soon. She heard her friends moaning with their guys, she just smiled.
“Well they are enjoying life… why can’t I just do the same?” she asked herself
But it wasn’t in her. She was the good girl; she didn’t sleep around, she didn’t have one night stands, she barely even dated! Maybe she was a hopeless romantic, but in a way she was waiting for the perfect man. Her friends used to tease her about that.
- Candy, you need to live a little…!
- By having one night stands? Thanks but no thanks and I am living and breathing and in good health…
- You know what I mean, once you get married that’s it!
- So I should have fun now even though I don’t feel like it?
- Well, you have to want it.
- Well I don’t want it said Candy smiling
- You’re impossible, you know that?
- This is democracy isn’t it? I'm free to do whatever I want …
- Don’t you go political on me
- I can’t help it said candy, its in my blood…
- You can say that again!
- I can’t help it, repeated Candy, it’s in my blood
- Oh you!! Said her friend
They burst out laughing.
In the morning, Candy woke up and she got ready, she was making breakfast in the kitchen she shared with her two roomies. She saw a tall guy with long blond hair, shirtless just wearing boxers.
- Hey luv! He said smiling
- Good morning, said Candy
- Where did a beautiful flower like you pop up from?
- From my mum…
- Right! You’re the girl who was blowing everyone off last night! Now I remember! You’re much prettier during the daylight.
- So I'm ugly at night?
- That’s not what I meant
- Then what did you mean?
- You’re complicated, you know that? I’m trying to give you a compliment here…
- By telling me I was ugly the night before?
- I give up! I'm glad I went for your friend, I would’ve gotten zilch with you!
- Try less than zilch…
Candy poured herself some cereals and some milk, then she sat down to eat. The guy went to the cupboard, took a mug and he poured himself some fresh coffee Candy had just made. He made some toast and he was eating in silence. Ann, Candy’s friend arrived…
- Hey sweetie, you’ve made yourself some toasts…Are you talking to Candy? Asked Ann
- To “Miss gloomy day”? No thanks, she brings people down
- Just pretend I’m not even here, said Candy coldly
- Did I miss something? Said Ann
- There was nothing to miss, said Candy, I’ll be in my room.
She took her cereal bowl and she went to her room. She left Ann and her friend alone. She hated the awkwardness of the morning after… She wasn’t the one doing the one night stand, but most of the time, her friends guys would try to get her into bed in the morning, so she had adopted the “ Miss Gloomy Day” attitude to push them away. Her friends knew what she was doing and they loved her for it. Candy would never hurt them like that, even with a one night stand…
Candy was in her room watching television. She let her friends the time to get rid of their dates. Then she would come out.
- So girls, she said, did you have fun last night?
- It was fabulous! Said Ann you should try it…
- Yeah, you should! Said Pat
- I think I’ll take you word for it, said Candy, you guys are ready to go?
- Yes, said Ann, London here we come!
The three friends spent some times in London shopping sight seeing they went to see all the tourist attractions, took pictures and they had a lot of fun. They also went out at night, restaurants, dancing, having fun… Then came the time for Candy to leave… Her friends took her to Heathrow
- We’re going to miss you Candy said Ann
- Call us! Said Pat
- I’m going to miss you too, I’ll call you, I’ll email you, said Candy
- Well I know is no use to say this, but have a little fun!
- Fun? You’re kidding right? The diplomatic world?
- What? Diplomats have kids…
- They might be too young for me…
- What about the diplomats?
- They might be married…
- “Might”? So there might also be single men then…
- The single ones are mostly the lower ranks one, or the local employees like, drivers, cooks…
- Right! It wouldn’t be nice for the ambassador’s daughter to date the driver, too complicated…You have to aim high…a lower rank diplomat is going to go higher over the years…like you in fact…that would be perfect! But you can aim higher…
- I’m just saying that I don’t think I’m going to do anything… I have to behave myself. My father is the Ambassador…and dating the driver or the cook... they will feel intimidated...but if it happens, so be it!
- Well, you’re “Miss goody two shoes”, no danger of you misbehaving; you’re the perfect girl!
- I’m not perfect, said Candy but thanks
- You’re flying first class! Classy!
- Cool, isn’t it? Said Candy smiling, bye girls! Thank you for coming with me all the way here!
- Come on! Said Pat, you’re our friend! Have a good time! I hope you come back to us!
- Girls, school is over, said Candy, I’ll have to look for work in my own country now…
- Right! Well, we’ll be in touch, right? Said Ann
- Of course! Said Candy smiling, bye…
- Bye Candy
She kissed her friends and she took the long hallway to the boarding door at London’s Heathrow’s airport. After all the formalities, she got on the plane; British Airways, first class. She had the window seat and she was looking out the window as the plane was turning and speeding on the runway and finally took off… Candy was sitting next to a young woman who looked barely older than her. She was very elegant.
- Hello, she said, you’re going to Romania too?
- Yes, said Candy, you too?
- Yes. I’m the wife of the Colombian Ambassador…
- I’m the daughter of the Australian Ambassador…
- Georgie’s daughter?
- Pleased to meet you…
- I’m please to meet you too, Mrs…
- Cabrera, you can call me Cecilia
- All right Cecilia… my name is Candy
- Hi Candy…
- You look so young…
- I am young. I didn’t know Georgie was old enough to have a daughter like you…
- She does look very young, doesn’t she?
- Yes, she does. She’s a very nice woman. You sound nice too…
- You don’t know me…
- If you take after your mother, you’re very nice
- You practically don’t have an accent in English
- That’s because I’ve bee all over the place with my husband, and English seems to be the universal language in Embassies
- That’s the Anglo-Saxons way, said Candy, they expect everybody to learn their language, like it’s just normal
- Do you speak any other languages?
- I was born when my parents were living in Madrid, so I have the lovely middle name of “Bianca”. Candice Bianca is my full given name. They thought giving me a name that sounded latino would be a cool thing…
- Muy bonita! Habas espanol?
They spoke in Spanish for a while, then they went back to English.
- The language skills is a very good think to have…, said Cecilia
- The only thing is, it feels so normal in embassies, said Candy
- We actually take it for granted…
- When people hear me talk at first, they’re not sure where I’m from… They hear me in French, English, Italian, Spanish, Romanian…
- That can be confusing indeed…
- I was a flight attendant when I first met my husband in first class… we hit it off right away and we…
- That’s too much information…
- You are so prude, just like your mother…, said Cecilia smiling
- You’re very beautiful. I hope you find a nice diplomat to marry you
- I’m going to be a diplomat myself, I just graduated from Oxford in Political Sciences
- Oh wow! You’re going to go to Australia to work?
- Yes… being the daughter of a diplomat, it’s almost guaranteed we have a position available…
- Good, then you’re definitely going to marry into diplomacy
- I just need an understanding man, who’s not going to be intimidated by my job
- Who better to understand you than a diplomat himself? Believe me, it’s gong to be easier
- Well let’s see what happens,,,
- You’re not engaged? You’re so pretty…
- I was concentrating on my studies
- You like to do it one at the time; studies first, love later…
- Something like that…
They continued talking, swapping embassies stories. They stood up together to go the washroom. Cecilia was in front of her, someone else stood up and was now in front of Candy. There was a message from the commander saying that they were going through some rough zone and turbulence might occur, to fasten their seatbelt and those standing those who were standing should get back to their seats as soon as possible. The plane started to move and shake hard. The passengers standing had to grab on to something. Candy tried to hang on but it was too late and she fell on the lap or another first class passenger. She all of a sudden, felt warm and the very nice smell of a men’s perfume.
“Dakkar Noir, she said to herself, I just love that scent”
It was like she had her head on the man’s chest and she closed her eyes for a second smelling the nice scent. Her arms were on his shoulders around his neck…
He was on the plane listening to the commander’s announcement, so he had just fastened his seat belt, he wanted to take his book in his bag to read, when this young woman just fell on his lap. He could smell the fruity scent of her beautiful long blond wavy hair, as well as her perfume…
“Paris, by Yves Saint-Laurent, I love that scent”, he said in his head
For a moment there, the young girl didn’t seem to want to move, he felt good with her in his arms. She had freckles on her nose…
- Oh! Said the young girls, I’m so sorry
- Make yourself at home, don’t mind me! Continue enjoying my body
Candy was outraged.
- How dare you?
- How dare I what? You are enjoying being on me
- There was turbulence, the plane moved, I lost my balance and I fell on your lap!
- You don’t seem to be in a hurry to leave…
She was a little ashamed, because she was indeed enjoying being in his arms, but never in millions years, would she admit it to that pretentious lout! She wanted to stand, but he somehow held her back.
- Not so fast! He said, what do you say?
Candy looked at him surprised. The other passengers were looking at them smiling. She wanted to say something mean, but she was in public…
- Thank you for catching me! She said between her teeth
- You’re welcome anytime, said the man smiling
- Never again! She whispered just for him, you’re a lout!
He had blue green eyes, long brown hair, a smile to die for, and he was wearing a white suit. They looked at each other… and there was a thunderbolt outside… and inside their hearts. He let go of her. She stood up and continued her way to the washroom. She finally went back to her seat when she was done.
- Hey said Cecilia, who was back in her seat too, what took you so long?
- I fell on some man’s lap during the turbulence…
- That must have been fun!
- He was a real lout!
- Oh… Well don’t worry you’ll meet very well behaved men in the diplomatic word…
- It’s so funny, I never thought of diplomats as potential dates…
- Yep! You’re growing up, you’re seeing things differently, Now that I have children… did I show you there pictures?
She showed her a picture of 3 little girls and a boy, they all had baby blond hair, they were so cute!
The plane finally arrived in Bucharest after 3 hours of flight. Candy got off with Cecilia in the V.I.P section. Candy’s parents were there too.
- It’s so good to see you! Said Candy hugging
- You too! said her sister Cassandra
- I see you’ve met Cecilia, said her mother
- Yes, we were seat buddies, she’s very nice, said Candy
- Yes she is, said her mother.
Cecilia was hugging and kissing her husband Luis Cabrera, the Columbian Ambassador. They approached Candy and her family.
- Hello Georgie, Laurent, said Cecilia.
- Hello Cecilia, Luis, said Georgie and Laurent
- Hi! Said Cassandra smiling
- Hello said the Columbian couple
- Honey this is Candy-Bianca, Georgie’s daughter who kept me company during the flight…
- Hello, he said smiling
Luis Diego Cabrera was a very attractive Hispanic man, he was tall tan and very handsome.
- Hello, said Candy Smiling.
- Thank you for keeping my wife company, she can’t stop talking…
Everybody burst out laughing. The driver, who was taking car of the formalities, came to say that everything was fine, and everybody went back home. Candy and Cassandra couldn’t stop talking in the car. They arrived and the whole family was waiting for them. They were hugs, kisses, laughs. Dinner was great everybody was happy. Then the children were in Candy’s room talking and laughing until late at night. Aside from Cassandra, there was Shamar Lee a boy, there was Alinoah a girl, Willy a boy, Seiyar another boy, Bijou, the baby girl. The younger ones went to bed and Candy went to tuck them in and read them stories. Cassandra was with her and spent the night in her room even though she had her own room.
- So, how does it feel to be a diplomat? Asked Cassandra
- It hasn’t quite sunk in yet, said Candy, until I go to Canberra and start working
- Well, take advantage of your summer holidays
- I will rest and rest! No more books for a long while!
- And having fun is part of your plans too?
- What do you call having fun?
- Guys, men!
- Come on Bianca! You were the perfect daughter, straight ! Student, you finished school, the best of you class… now you CAN have a little fun!
- I’m not going to go looking for fun where everybody talks about everybody! When I go back to Australia…
- Yeah right! Said her sister, then you’re going to be married to your work!
- You can’t predict what’s going to happen to me… come what may!
- Well that’s more like it!
Then she started to sing:
♪♪We're all starting our summer holiday
no more working for a month or two.
Fun and laughter on our summer holiday,
no more worries for me or you,
for a month or two.
We're going where the sun shines brightly
we're going where the sea is blue.
we've all seen it on the movies,
now let's see if it's true.
Everybody has a summer holiday
doin' things they always wanted to
So we're going on a summer holiday,
to make our dreams come true
for me and you.
for me and you.♪♪
They burst out laughing and they talked all night. The next day they had a lot fun playing games, watching movies as a family and going for a ride. Candy took the car with all her brothers and sisters, and they went to Erastrau Park where they could have a barbecue and ride on boats, on the lake. They were very happy to have their big sister back.
- It’s so good to have you back Candy, said Alinoah
- It’s good to be back home, said Candy, with my family!
- Let’s go play dodge ball, said Cassandra
- I want to be with Candy, said Bijou
- Of course Bijou, said Candy hugging her
The whole family was blond, since both parents were blonds, Bijou was mini Candy, she looked exactly like her. Alinoah looked like Cassie. The boys, Shamar Lee, Willy and Seiyar, looked like their father and like each other. Candy looked at Shamar, the eldest boy.
- Hey Shamar, I know you’d rather be with your friends, than with us…, said Candy
- Bianca, you’re here, he said, I’m glad to spend the day with you and all these annoying siblings!
- Hey! Said the little ones, don’t mind us…!
They all hit him softly screaming, laughing, having fun. They played and played and they went back home just in time to get ready for dinner. Candy gave the little ones their baths and got them all dressed up for dinner.
- Why do we always have to dress up for dinner? Asked Bijou, nobody is coming
- Why I don’t know, you should ask daddy, said Candy
- I will…
- Well, Candy is here so we’re celebrating tonight, said Alinoah
- Right! Said Bijou laughing
Dinner was fun. Candy’s parents were glad to have her there for a few weeks until she leaves for Australia to start her new job, her brothers and sisters were ecstatic.
Candy was happy to rest and have fun, before going into the real world, all by herself without her family…