Candy and Annie
by Mallory Quinn
was another ordinary day at the Pony Home, an orphanage full of lovely
little children; little boys and little girls. Two little girls were
inseparables. They were both found on the same day, they did everything
together, they celebrate their birthday, the day they were found,
together. Their names sere Candy White and Annie Jones. Candy was a
real tomboy and Annie was a little shy. Candy protected her from the
other children. They called themselves twins.
The Pony Home was run by two women with a heart of gold: Miss Pony and Sister Maria. They were looking at Candy and Annie playing together.
- Those two really love each other very much…, said Sister Maria
- What happens if a couple wants to adopt only one of them?
- They’re going to be devastated…, let’s pray it doesn’t happen tomorrow…
- Well tomorrow is Sunday and the parents are coming…
Candy and Annie knew the drill; since they didn’t want to be adopted, they were acting weird, singing off key so the parents wouldn’t want to adopt them.
- Don’t forget Annie, we don’t want to leave the Pony Home…
- All right Candy… we’re sisters forever…
- That we are…
So Candy and Annie would act out so they wouldn’t be adopted. One of their mates, Tom was adopted by a local farmer. Candy and Annie were sad to see him go, especially Candy, who hope he would’ve stayed with them.
- I hate you! Said Candy sulking
- Candy, come on, I’m going to have a father…
- You’re abandoning us!
- I’m sorry you see it that way, said Tom
Candy was angry at Tom and not talking to him. Until, Miss Pony called Candy and Annie and told them that Tom was the one who found them…
- Really? Said Candy
- Yes, he saved you…. It was really cold that night, it was snowing…
- Oh, so Tom is our saviour…? Said Candy
- Yes, said Sister Maria, he’s going away, you won’t see him everyday…
- I’m going to miss him, said Candy
- You really want him to have you angry at him as his last image of you? Asked Miss Pony
- No, said Candy moved, I have to see him!
Candy ran outside and she saw Tom playing with his lasso.
- Tom, she said
- What do you want? To insult me some more?
- Tom, I’m sorry… I hope you’re happy with your new family
- That’s nice of you to say
- Thank you for saving us…
- You’re very welcome, even if I don’t remember, he said smiling
- You’re always going to be my big brother!
- And you’re always going to be my little sister
Candy hugged him for a while. Then she said…
- I bet you a dollar that I can throw that lasso better than you!
- You’re on, said Tom smiling
They played with the lasso and they had a lot of fun,
When the time came for Tom to leave. Candy and Annie were sad. But they had to be happy for their brother.
- Good bye Tom, said Candy if they don’t like you, you come back here to us…
- I’m going to be fine, Candy, right dad? Said Tom
- Right! Said the big farmer.
- Good bye Miss Pony, Sister Maria
- Here is your pajamas Tom, said Sister Maria, I give on to every child that finds a new home
- Thank you, said Tom
- Goodbye Tom, said Annie and thank you for everything
- Goodbye Annie, goodbye everybody!
Tom left with his farmer father. Candy and Annie were sad. Life was becoming complicated and sad, for the two little ones. But they decided not to let it keep them sad. They went and play and have fun. But Annie secretly wanted to have parents; a mommy and a daddy. They would play in the field and kiss each other on the cheeks:
- This is a kiss from your mommy, said Candy
- This is a kiss from your mommy, said Annie
- This one is from your daddy
- This one is from your daddy
They were very cute and innocent. But Candy realized that her best friend and sister was not very happy, something was bothering her. So she decided to take her on a little trip to heal her sick heart.
- Annie, let’s go for a little trip to make you feel better…
They took their little bikes and they left. They arrived by the river and they were looking at some rocks…
- Let’s see if we can see some fishes…, said Candy
- All right, said Annie
They both went looking in the water but Annie slipped and fell in the water, Candy followed her, they were both screaming and holding on to a rock. Too afraid to let go of the rock, the current was strong.
- Annie! Don’t be afraid, it’s going to be fine
- Candy, I’m scared…don’t leave me
- I won’t, Annie, I will never leave you
- And I will never leave you…
- Sisters for ever
- Sisters for ever
Voice were head and they as a man coming. He saw the little girls in distress and he called for help. Other men came a rope, threw it to the girls and pulled them to safety.
- Thank you! Said Candy and Annie at the same time
- You’re very welcome said the girls
- You’re all wet, said the man, let me take you to my house so you change and put on some dry clothes
Candy and Annie looked at each other.
- We wouldn’t want to intrude, said Annie
- And we’re not supposed to talk to strangers, said Candy
- All right then, my name is Adam Brighton, what are your names?
- I’m Candy
- I’m Annie
- We’re from the local orphanage
- Oh... I’m pleased to meet you, said Mr. Brighton
- Likewise, said the girls
- Now you want to come with me? I can call the orphanage and tell them you’re with me…
- All right, said Candy looking at Annie who agreed.
The two girls went with Mr. Brighton to his house and some maids took care of them, they gave them a bath, washed their hair, gave them dry clothes, they dried their hair, they were all clean and dry for lunch time.
The table was full of food and very nice treats. The two little girls had a blast. The staff was happy to have children to take care of, the two girls brought joy into the Brighton house.
Candy and Annie were having a blast. So much food and treats.
- Mr. Brighton? Said Candy
- Yes, Candy
- Is it possible to take some of the food home with us, I mean to the Pony Home?
- For my other brothers and sisters… I’m sure they would like to have some treats too…
Mr. Brighton looked at Candy, she was so compassionate.
- You’re very generous, Candy, I’ll tell you what, we’re going to take you home tonight and I’ll come back tomorrow with food and treats to have a barbecue party for your little brothers and sisters
- You’ll do that for them?
- Yes, said Mr. Brighton
Candy walked to him and hugged him.
- Oh Thank you so much, Mr. Brighton! God bless you!
Mr. Brighton hugged Candy back, he was moved.
- You’re very welcome little one
- I’m so glad we came here, said Candy aren’t you Annie
She had let go of Mr. Brighton.
- Annie and I are born on the same day… well sort of, we were found on the same day as babies! We’re twins!
- Twins? Said Brighton
- Don’t you see our blond hair? Said Candy smiling
- She’s my best friend, said Annie smiling, my sister and my best friend!
- Sisters forever! Said Candy looking at Annie
- Sisters forever! Said Annie looking at Candy
They both hugged. Mr. Brighton was looking at them smiling. The staff was happy two. It was like joy was back in their home with those two little orphans.
Candy and Annie had a lot of fun. Mr. Brighton had horses and the girls went for a ride with him. Then the girls took a nap.
Mr. Brighton realized what was missing in his life. He called his wife.
- Honey? He said how are you
- I miss you, she said, I wish I could come now…
- Why don’t you?
- There’s this charity luncheon tomorrow, I promise to come once it’s done…You’re not too bored without me?
- Actually no, I’m not?
- What? Did you bring your mistress along with you or something, she joked
- You have a mistress?
- Honey? Aren’t you the one kidding?
- Well you’re not…
- You didn’t let me finish…
- Go ahead, I think…
- I’ve had some female company … but it’s not what you think
- Who was it?
- Two charming little orphan girls
- Yes, they are so full of life… even the staff was happier with them here…
- Honey, you come tomorrow and we’ll go see them… I was…
- Thinking about adopting one of them…
- She charmed you that much…?
- She did…
- I’ve never heard your voice so happy… I can’t wait to meet this little wonder…
- You’re going to love her, I’m sure of it… you don’t mind adopting?
- No, I don’t… since I can’t give you any children…
- The clothes you kept here for your little cousins were useful today…
- I’m glad … I love you
- I love you too…
When Mr. Brighton brought Candy and Annie back to the Pony Home he met Miss Pony and Sister Maria.
- I’m so sorry you had to come all the way here to drive them back…
- It was no trouble, said Mr. Brighton… I was happy to spend the day with them. I will be back tomorrow
- Tomorrow? Why? Asked Miss Pony
- I will bring food of a barbecue for the children
- That’s very generous of you, said Sister Maria, thank you
- You’re very welcome
Candy and Annie were telling the others about their day, they were all excited. The others were listening fascinated.
- Candy, Annie, Mr. Brighton is leaving! Said Miss Pony
Candy and Annie ran to him and hugged him one at the time.
- Thank you, thank you so much for this wonderful day! Said Candy
- It was one of my favourite days in the world! Said Annie
- I’m happy you had fun, said Mr. Brighton moved, I’ll see you tomorrow…
- Goodbye Mr. Brighton, said the girls
- Goodbye, said Miss Pony and Sister Maria
Mr. Brighton left. Candy and Annie went to bed after taking their bath, but they couldn’t stop talking during the night. Sister Maria had to yell at them to stop talking.
- Candy! Annie! Be quiet! It’s time to sleep! You’ll talk tomorrow!
- Ok, Sister Maria, they both said.
The next day, Mr. Brighton came with the food, the barbecue grill, the drinks, the ice cream, popsicles, candies, fruits, snacks… The children had a blast. They couldn’t have enough. Candy and Annie were playing the hosts, disciplining the children, and giving them as many treats as they wanted. Brighton had some of his servants making the meat on the grill and the maids were helping with serving the children. At the end of the day, the children were full happy and restless. Mr. Brighton gave them the rest of the food cook and uncooked.
Chapter 2 (to be continued)